Anyone been 4x4 in their kluger?

Blackkluger

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking if the Kluger has been to places like Fraser Island or some place similar...

Last year on Fraser I was surprised to find I was following a 4wd Kluger through the inland tracks (I was in a friend's Pajero as I like my Kluger too much to wreck it). We all noticed that the tracks in front of us showed signs of bottoming on some particularly deep tracks, and it wasn't until some time later that we actually caught up and discovered what the vehicle was.

The Kluger was having no problems at all, and the tracks were pretty rough, being just after the Toyota fishing week there which attracts hundreds of cars.

We struck up a conversation with the 4 young Swiss tourists loaded up with all their gear driving it and they had picked it up in Cairns (a rental car) with just 100km on the clock, and were driving it to Melbourne, and they said they had no second thoughts about taking it all over the island and just assumed it was like any "real" 4WD. They had taken it all along the beaches and the inland tracks with no problem They were loaded up so the scraping of the centre mound of the deep tracks was not surprising.

(I hate to think what the hire company would say if they knew though)

They were loaded up so the scraping of the centre mound of the deep tracks was not surprising.

Kluger come with any kind of underside protection? Surprising they didn't rip the sump out.

*note to self* don't buy a second hand rental 4wd.

Edited by Colonel

• 2 weeks later...
You could probably get some metal underplates for better protection...

I should point out that because Fraser Island is a sand island (the worlds biggest I believe) that the scrapping was only through sand so no damage.

I however ripped a plastic fuel line cover off just by reversing through some long grass out west (it sat in about the middle of the car at one side), which Toyota replaced, so I now keep an eye out for anything that could cause trouble.

I have had no problems driving my fwd through bush tracks and up and down slippery muddy tracks and have used the snow button a few times in the slippery places, but I wont take it anywhere that I don't feel confident about.

So what is the SNOW button for? Should I have it on all the time or is it only for when you are going slow in slippery mud or snow? Also what does the Down Hill assist do? Does it just hold on to lower gears? I usually just use sports mode to put it in 2nd when going down steep hills anyway.

As for going bush with the Kluger I reckon all you need is to get some real high profile off road tyres. The tyres that come with the Kluger are clearly for the tarmac. It would cost a bit of money for spare wheels tho. Then I suppose you could get a set of snow tyres for going to the snow. Even with 4WD regular tyres will get you nowhere on ice.

Also what does the Down Hill assist do? Does it just hold on to lower gears? I usually just use sports mode to put it in 2nd when going down steep hills anyway.

DAC only works in S1 or Reverse gears, and emulates low-range gearing by electronically applying brakes to control descent to a max of about 5 kph.

It does work, having had to use it extensively on fire trails in the Deua National Park last week ... although the associated nosies can be a little off-putting at first - twangs and boings of spring mechanisms working (sorry for the non-technical speak). On steep off-road descents where 1st gear alone gathers too much speed, DAC does the trick quite nicely ... and certainly provided me with confidence.

One warning with DAC though ... it wants to turn itself off automatically after about 2 minutes of continuous use - lights start blinking to alert that it is about to disengage. That can be a little discomforting if not at the bottom of the descent.

I had this happen with the traction control system before, on slippery ice, it runs out of brake vacuum? Therefore cannot continue in my cause give me traction control, likewise i guess if dac is braking continuously, it would loose brake pressure eventually. I guess we need to come to complete stop, then give it a minute to recover?

While on the subject of DAC, I noticed on descending a trail with erosion control humps that DAC appeared to drive the Kluger at the controlled 5kph up and over the humps ... or was it just my imagination?

Ah no not Melbourne! :(

NSW Yes :D

These photos were taken last month at Harrington, You could have taken a 2WD on the first 5Km of beach after that the sand got softer and deeper as you can tell by THE NEW SAND SIDE WALLS TIRES.

While on the subject of DAC, I noticed on descending a trail with erosion control humps that DAC appeared to drive the Kluger at the controlled 5kph up and over the humps ... or was it just my imagination?

Yep I Noticed that with a trailer on going over those humps as well..... a bit to slow for my liking but if it was raining hard it could be a life saver.

Creek crossings too - Deua NP. I reckon Kluger does pretty well off road, provided the conditions are not too difficult. Got me to and from Bendethera no probs. But I did reach its limits on a steep uphill rocky stretch of track. Biggest issue for me is only having road tyres ... especially when driving on tracks with sharp and/or large loose rocks.

P1000417.JPG

P1000425.JPG

Biggest issue for me is only having road tyres ... especially when driving on tracks with sharp and/or large loose rocks.

Even a Honda Civic would go pretty well off road with the right tyres. That's the problem with any SUV, you have to go buy off road tyres if you want to do serious off roading. Great for the tarmac and light off roading tho.

Maybe get some Coopers tyres?

They are expensive but they last ages... not sure if they are noisy at speed...

Would be nice ... but I do not see any Coopers tyres (or anyones elses A/T tyres) for a 19" rim - I think this has been discussed in another thread on this forum.

Creek crossings too - Deua NP. I reckon Kluger does pretty well off road, provided the conditions are not too difficult. Got me to and from Bendethera no probs. But I did reach its limits on a steep uphill rocky stretch of track. Biggest issue for me is only having road tyres ... especially when driving on tracks with sharp and/or large loose rocks.

P1000417.JPG

P1000425.JPG

/quote]

I thought id seen those crossings before, I did Bendethera about 2 years ago In My XT Forester no low range, manual, no problems add water and it will be a different story.

You don't want to do too many river crossings like this! Short and sweat!!

Note water over bonnet coming off each side nearly hitting wing mirrors

Edited by PC XT

If you do get in a very slippery situation how do you turn off the traction control?

I have a 4WD KX-S and I can't see the button anywhere.

The button should be by your left knee below the steering wheel in a recess.

bloody hell. I saw it on the manual but thought I didn't have it cause i had looked down there before and never saw the button. Toyota must be paranoid about soccer mums turning it off accidently, having an accident and then sueing Toyota. You can't really see it unless you get your nead down on the seat. You have to feel for it. At least you don't have to do all sorts of stupid tricks to disable Traction Control like some Aurion drivers have to.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...13947&st=25

remember you cant disable it while on the move!

you can press it once, which takes traction off but stability on, which is pointless as if do lose traction it kicks back in straight away, of hold it down for 5+ seconds and it is fully off, traction and stability.

It would be interesting whether the traction control does work well on slippery stuff compared to having it completely off?

remember you cant disable it while on the move!

you can press it once, which takes traction off but stability on, which is pointless as if do lose traction it kicks back in straight away, of hold it down for 5+ seconds and it is fully off, traction and stability.

It would be interesting whether the traction control does work well on slippery stuff compared to having it completely off?

That must have been the beeping when it looses traction in sand, it was on, I should have turned it off when I got to the slippery stuff, the beeping was a bit annoying. :D as well as the retardation as Borat says

Edited by PC XT