Whats behind this dash panel?

PaulMT

Apologies in advance for swiping DJKOR's image, hope you don't mind :unsure:

What is behind this panel and would there be enough space for a single din head deck?

I notice there are insert pockets down the outside of the consold that may indicate there isn't enough room for anything...

Thanks

post-7087-1232348683_thumb.jpg

Nope sorry. Im pretty sure its a do-able size at the front but its not deep enough for one to fit, wires and stuff in the way. Be a perfect place for an Xgauge or some other electronics though.

Well, when you pull the plate off, there is not enough room as it is to fit a single DIN unit in. You would need to file away at the surrounding plastic, and one you did that, a single DIN should fit. I am fairly sure (I'll double check that one) that there is enough depth behind to accommodate one, the only problem is, there is no points to securely mount a unit. I will BRB with a couple of photos.

Edit: A couple of photos for an example but here is my final verdict. There is enough depth there to fit something the length of a single DIN unit (the plastic bar in the first photo can be removed), however there is not enough horizontal space to accommodate the unit. You can squeeze it in, but there will be a little bit of a bulge where the 'map' pockets (as Toyota calls them) are. The second photo is a bit of an illusion. I would say the difference in width is only about 0.5cm each side. Then on the front fascia, it would be a really tight fit as well and would require a bit of work to neaten it up. My suggestion is don't bother unless you have the patience and skill for custom work. The spot is best suited for a Scan Gauge or something like apg39 suggested.

dsc03342co5.th.jpg dsc03347uw5.th.jpg dsc03348em6.th.jpg dsc03350us0.th.jpg

@ agp39 Thanks for your reply, your thoughts confirmed by DJKOR

@ DJKOR Thank you for your very detailed reply I really appreciate the effort you took.

Just some background on why I was asking...

I have a brand new JVC KD-AVX44 HU installed. I was never happy that it didn't look stock enough and the single din even with the correct "blank" didn't suit me.

I also in the process lost my Steering volume and other (right hand side) controls. I new the volume control would be specific to the standard HU but was surprised to lose my other

displays.

I had thought if I could shift the new HU into the panel we have discussed and return the original HU to it's place and hook up back to the display all would be well in my world, but...

as you have said without a lot of modifying this space isn't suitable.

So, here's the good news. I went back to the company that installed the HU who also weren't happy with the final fit and loss of control. They have said they will no charge to me other than $200 for the change over, install the same JVC unit but the double din one with full size screen display. This will look awesome and more "stock" they will also extract the board from the original HU and hide that up under the dash and hook up to my display.

So considering the initial install was early December their customer service to me is superb and I am very happy with the proposed outcome. :D

So, here's the good news. I went back to the company that installed the HU who also weren't happy with the final fit and loss of control. They have said they will no charge to me other than $200 for the change over, install the same JVC unit but the double din one with full size screen display. This will look awesome and more "stock" they will also extract the board from the original HU and hide that up under the dash and hook up to my display.

BONUS!

SIngle DINs would look funny in the stock spot, especially with all the silver panel surrounding it, Double DINs are way better suited.

BONUS!

SIngle DINs would look funny in the stock spot, especially with all the silver panel surrounding it, Double DINs are way better suited.

UPDATE

The stock Head Deck for the SX6 is in fact two separate complete units behind the fascia panel. The top unit is the CD changer and the bottom the unit has all the wire connectors in.

It turned out to be easier and better for later restoration of the original HD to just leave the lower unit complete, wrap in sound foam and tie up under the dash. It would be possible to disassemble the unit and extract the board but it just wasn't necessary to go this far.

The result is I now have a fantastic JVC double din 7" screen DVD\CD\Receiver unit and my steering wheel display controls work.

The JVC unit has a steering wheel volume control add-on accessory and I am looking at whether we can get the volume and mode controls on the steering wheel working again also. I am confident we can, maybe not with the original mode functions but functionality all the same.

I will add some photo's later so any one else looking at replacing their factory sounds can see what we have done.

So the final system is....

4x Fusion 6x9's replacing the factory speakers

2x (stock) factory In Dash Tweeters

Sony 600W Amplifier

JVC KW-AVX810 Head Unit

I am considering a Fusion Sub for the boot, but at the moment I am happy with the balance and sound of this system.

All up cost fitted including the replacement fascia panel and JVC Bluetooth adapter NZ$1300 (AU$1053)

I'm off for a long drive now :D

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know the name of the part the OP is talking about, if it is available at Toyota (or else where) and its approximate price?

I am looking at installing a Scangauge 2 here by cutting the plastic. But I have never cut plastic before and was hoping that I could purchase a spare.

There are a wealth of plastic cutting tutorials online but I dont want to hurt my car (and my ego).

It would be great if I can get it flush, but I doubt my skill. I might opt for spray painting the scan gauge silver as well.

I will be posting up pictures of my travels in another topic if I can make this happen.

Does anyone know the name of the part the OP is talking about, if it is available at Toyota (or else where) and its approximate price?

Your best bet would be to go into your local Toyota spare parts department and say that you are after a panel for the centre console. They can bring up the diagrams for your car and then you can ask if you can point out the particular part. That's what I usually do when I don't have the correct name for the part.

FYI

You can not purchase this piece of plastic by its self from a Toyota Spare Parts distributor. The part can be purchased in the group pack of parts that make up that section + the ash tray for around $600.

Needless to say I am not going to risk screwing this little piece a plastic for the sake of a scangauge.

I will most likely put the scangauge hidden in side the glove box as I mainly use it for fuel consumption information.