kluger motor ping

GMC

Hi Peoples..

I have an annoying ping in my Kluger .. Well ony when it is hot.

Does anybody else have this motor problem.?

This ping is the Engine knock .. when the timing is wrong. I know the car has knock sensor's ?

but . I am not confident in these.. The last time I took the car to the Toyota service crew. They stated the

computer reported no pinging in the car. I however can make the car ping consistently in certain conditions.

(low rev range just when loading the car).

For sure if \i use high octane fuel the ping is almost gone.. but I thin the car should be able to ajust it's fuel mapping to compensate.

For sure I want to find out if I can get my grubby mits on this mapping software so I can see in detail. I should be able to re-mapthis problem out..

But that.. I guess will be the hard part.

Any comments would be usefull.

Hi there. Welcome.

Low rev under engine loading is not the usual condition where the engine pings. Engines usually pings at high revs.

The Toyota people cannot find ping because there is no DTC (diagnostic trouble code) register in the ECU.

So it is either: it is so rare that it does not register a code or you are imagining it - like you are listening to a bearing noise that sometimes I hear. Pings usually assoicated with lost of power - do you have that?

If you thin the AFR (air fuel ratio), you will get more ping. The Kluger is increadiably rich in mixture that I don't think it will happen

So relax.

Hi Peoples..

This ping is the Engine knock .. when the timing is wrong. I know the car has knock sensor's ?

but . I am not confident in these.. The last time I took the car to the Toyota service crew. They stated the

computer reported no pinging in the car. I however can make the car ping consistently in certain conditions.

For sure if \i use high octane fuel the ping is almost gone.. but I thin the car should be able to ajust it's fuel mapping to compensate.

For sure I want to find out if I can get my grubby mits on this mapping software so I can see in detail. I should be able to re-mapthis problem out..

Engines will ping at low revs when you go to accelerate and the timing is too far advance. The pinging is pre-detonation of the fuel. It will also ping if you have low quality fuel. I assume that the timing advance curve has been checked by Toyota (but going with my experience with Toyota service staff, do not assume this). If the pinging goes away by using higher octane fuel, it is unlikely to be a timing problem (as this, if anything, should ping more).

I would certainly take it back to Toyota and demonstrate the pinging noise, as I have not heard of anyone complaining of this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Does pinging sound like marbles being shaken in a plastic drink bottle? If so I have the same problem at low speed when accelerating out of a corner. I have almost 50,000 on the clock.

I have noticed it only recently here in QLD where we have had fuel supply problems caused by a breakdown at one of the refineries and have had to fill with a mixture of fuels ranging from E10, ULP and PULP. Whether or not that has anything to do with it I can't really say as I would have thought that the engine management system would be able to handle these changes.

I will tell Toyota about it at the next service and report here what they say.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Peoples..

I know that there is a rattling noise on start up especially in the morning. Toyota (Sci Fleet in Brisbane) told me to leave the car overnight which I did. Next morning as you were told as well is there is nothing wrong except that it takes time for the engine oil to circulate. What I found out with my research on the net is that with the OEM oils are thick and viscous which make it hard in the morning for the oil to circulate rapidly. I change the oil to a lighter one (Mobil 5W30) semi synthetic and I got rid of the rattle in the morning. this winter I will try a full synthetic 0W40.

As for the pinging, I usually notice it when you accelarate harder than normal. It will will rev to 4500-5000RPM and not a lot of accelleration except the pinging as you have notice as well. This is when I have ULP in the tank. I started trying 95 RON PULP and it was better including the start up in the morning. Also the fuel consumption went down more than a litre per 100 Ks. Recently I tried Vortex 98 and guess what? It is much better that is including accelleration and egngine quietness.

Try Vortex 95 first and see if there will be a difference in performance.

Regards

Jefrox19

• 1 month later...

I mentioned my "pinging" at the last service and they drove it around and around and found it was actually a bit of metal inside the drivers door that would roll under acceleration or corners....... made me feel dumb, but he guys were very understanding!

Does pinging sound like marbles being shaken in a plastic drink bottle? If so I have the same problem at low speed when accelerating out of a corner. I have almost 50,000 on the clock.

I have noticed it only recently here in QLD where we have had fuel supply problems caused by a breakdown at one of the refineries and have had to fill with a mixture of fuels ranging from E10, ULP and PULP. Whether or not that has anything to do with it I can't really say as I would have thought that the engine management system would be able to handle these changes.

I will tell Toyota about it at the next service and report here what they say.

wow 50,000kms already, you must love driving your kluger :D

How is she going at 50,000kms?

As for pinging, the kluger i test drove before i bought mine, a 2005 model, also had a very noticable pinging when it was idling on a 25-30 degree day.... mine doesn't seem to have it though, touch wood. GMC - whats the latest on it anyway, did you get it sorted?

cheers

matt

To Matt Kluger,

At 60,000 km now and its due for new tyres, which I have had rotated every service (I wish I had included the spare in the rotation, as now I have an orphan brand new tyre because Dunlop don't sell that tyre in OZ so I have to go for a different set).

Everything is running as sweet as the day I picked it up, I haven't had the dash rattles, broken arm rests or scrubbed out tyres that others have struck.

It is a Sept 1 07 build so a very early one off the production line. we drive it predominately on very long trips from Sunshine Coast to places like Broken Hill twice, Bourke twice, Snowy mountains twice, Sydney and central NSW 10 times, Cunnamulla and Charleville 4 times, Uluru once, etc.

We carry a tent and esky on our trips and if we cant be bothered putting up the tent, we lay the front seats down, remove the headrests and with the front seats butted up to the middle seats have two fabulous beds!

We average 8.4 ltr per 100km on trips running PULP.

I couldn't ask for a better car.

To Matt Kluger,

At 60,000 km now and its due for new tyres, which I have had rotated every service (I wish I had included the spare in the rotation, as now I have an orphan brand new tyre because Dunlop don't sell that tyre in OZ so I have to go for a different set).

Everything is running as sweet as the day I picked it up, I haven't had the dash rattles, broken arm rests or scrubbed out tyres that others have struck.

It is a Sept 1 07 build so a very early one off the production line. we drive it predominately on very long trips from Sunshine Coast to places like Broken Hill twice, Bourke twice, Snowy mountains twice, Sydney and central NSW 10 times, Cunnamulla and Charleville 4 times, Uluru once, etc.

We carry a tent and esky on our trips and if we cant be bothered putting up the tent, we lay the front seats down, remove the headrests and with the front seats butted up to the middle seats have two fabulous beds!

We average 8.4 ltr per 100km on trips running PULP.

I couldn't ask for a better car.

^ Thank you so much for this tip! I tried it and its EXCELLENT, never ever thought to do this!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there. Welcome.

Low rev under engine loading is not the usual condition where the engine pings. Engines usually pings at high revs.

The Toyota people cannot find ping because there is no DTC (diagnostic trouble code) register in the ECU.

So it is either: it is so rare that it does not register a code or you are imagining it - like you are listening to a bearing noise that sometimes I hear. Pings usually assoicated with lost of power - do you have that?

If you thin the AFR (air fuel ratio), you will get more ping. The Kluger is increadiably rich in mixture that I don't think it will happen

So relax.

My Old work camry use to ping its little head off at low revs on very hot day.....It eventually will kill your motor in the end if left untreated, lucky I can watch the Knock correction working every day on my Subaru....I know its all working like it should, running premium fuel may only be the quick fix if that better get it checked by a pro maybe not Toyota....Ha Ha :D

Edited by PC XT