97 camry audio replacement questions.

enoresm

Hello i just managed to find a decent toyota site although im not from australia i am seeking some advice on a few problems that have recently came up.....i recent replaced all the audio components in my 97 camry...starting with a pioneer deh-p4000ub HU , 6 1/2 pioneer TS-A1702C component system up front , 6x9 Pioneer TS-A6983R in the rear deck . In the trunk i have one 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L5 Series 08S12L52 in a ported box paired to a Profile HA700M mono amp. i am planning to run a smaller amp Profile AP400 for the speakers inside the car.the problems im having are extreme rattling of the rear deck and my headlights are dimming when the volume is up past five. im also planning to dynamat the trunk / side panels sometime soon......but my main problem is the rattling on the inside.what can i do to reduce rattling/movement of reardeck/sidepanels inside.i was told to pick up a 1k far capacitor at least to reduce dimming of lights and keep the starin off my power system/battery/alternator.so the capacitor will be the next on list in a few days. any suggestions on what i can do to reduce rattle/excess noise? thanks for help/suggestions in advance =)

For one u dont need a cap...get a bigger battery, upgrade your earths to your battery, and at most upgrade the alternator, then consider a cap. As for deadening/rattles use dynamt wherever possible

G,day mate, sounds like a nice system.

Trent's right - Capacitors won't do much at all. I had this same problem mate... I ended up (with a couple of mates of mine) replace the Pos & Neg terminals on the battery with Stingers (you'd need to replace the Pos anyway for the power cable as ya know)... and ran another 4 gauge earth cable from the battery straight to the chassis. They actually make replacement earth cables... bigger and with better contacts... normally can buy from a car auto shop in a pack. You'll have an earth to the chassis, the alternator, the engine (I think?)... and yeah.

How old is the battery? You're going to be pushing a bit of power when you add the extra amp in there too, so a decent battery will do the trick well. SPL Camry from Auscam has a real fancy setup that you might like too.

The rattling... all I can say is - MAKE SURE ALL SCREWS ARE DONE UP TIGHT!! Door panels will vibrate... some people have stuck foam behind the doors to stop the shaking (considering you have 6.5 components in the door and all) if you can fill in the door panels with something like that, it'd be nice.

The actual door itself could get Dynamatted too... how many layers you place on there is up to you. The car will feel heavier too mate :P

Sounds like a nice system mate... show us some pics!

G,day mate, sounds like a nice system.

Trent's right - Capacitors won't do much at all. I had this same problem mate... I ended up (with a couple of mates of mine) replace the Pos & Neg terminals on the battery with Stingers (you'd need to replace the Pos anyway for the power cable as ya know)... and ran another 4 gauge earth cable from the battery straight to the chassis. They actually make replacement earth cables... bigger and with better contacts... normally can buy from a car auto shop in a pack. You'll have an earth to the chassis, the alternator, the engine (I think?)... and yeah.

How old is the battery? You're going to be pushing a bit of power when you add the extra amp in there too, so a decent battery will do the trick well. SPL Camry from Auscam has a real fancy setup that you might like too.

The rattling... all I can say is - MAKE SURE ALL SCREWS ARE DONE UP TIGHT!! Door panels will vibrate... some people have stuck foam behind the doors to stop the shaking (considering you have 6.5 components in the door and all) if you can fill in the door panels with something like that, it'd be nice.

The actual door itself could get Dynamatted too... how many layers you place on there is up to you. The car will feel heavier too mate :P

Sounds like a nice system mate... show us some pics!

planning to put up some pics soon....i figured out what most of the rattling was coming from.....a few of the plastic pins that hold the reardeck/side valances that go up the back pillar somehow rattled off so ive replaced them and took some advice and used thin eggcrate type foam and no more rattles from that anyways....that doesnt nclude my trunk/spoiler tho i plan to dynamat tho.as for the power problems im having tho.........im picking up a new battery today its some type of optima that looks like a six pack .....from what people have recommended it seems to be the best for powering a system.i also looked around and i couldnt find a bigger alternator....but i did manage to come across something called the big 3 upgrade...which is similiar to what you were talking about with 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis... can this be done to stock alternator or am i going to have to find a high output alternator?but simple things first....i basically need the new battery and to do the cable upgrades?

Yellow top is a deep cycle battery where it holds its charge for ages and you can run you car off it for ages. The Red top is more like a capacitor where it releases its charge a lot faster but wont last as long with the car off. I'd get the Yellow top as a matter of fact I have one, and its still going good after 5 years :)

Yellow top is a deep cycle battery where it holds its charge for ages and you can run you car off it for ages. The Red top is more like a capacitor where it releases its charge a lot faster but wont last as long with the car off. I'd get the Yellow top as a matter of fact I have one, and its still going good after 5 years :)

yea i got the yellow top yesterday quite pricey but there is a noticeable difference since i put that battery in compared to the unkown age cheap vbattery that was in the car....

• 1 month later...
First thing you'd notice would be starting the car :) Turns over much quicker.

I don't know if a bigger alternator will help much... might be an expensive upgrade for not much difference possibly?

ok so its been awhile since ive posted anything hehe.....and ive taken a few pics as well.....but since this thread i have done the big 3 replaced the battery with a yellow top and dynamatted my entire trunk/doors and soon to do floors.......still not running a cap as i now know i dont need one.ive also replaced the profile amp wth another i had laying around becuase somehow the profile just stopped working =(.

i do have another question though....i remember awhile back reading a thread on how to replace the bulbs in dash....i was wondering what kind of bulbs i need to replace the ones that light up the all the features on the console below my head unit.

post-12065-1237152980_thumb.jpg

post-12065-1237153013_thumb.jpg

post-12065-1237153060_thumb.jpg

post-12065-1237153123_thumb.jpg

post-12065-1237153167_thumb.jpg

post-12065-1237153230_thumb.jpg

post-12065-1237153256_thumb.jpg

Kewl mate, can you notice the difference after the cable and battery upgrade?

There's 4 globes that you'll need to replace & 1 x smaller bulb. The 4 bigger ones are called T10s (10mm long) and are a wedge style globe and the smaller one which is situated near the 0km/h on our dash clusters (might be different for yours, you might not even need one) is called a T5 (5mm long).

I'm still yet to put a T5 bulb in mine, lol! Not too fussed... works fine for me. I have a blue colour through my dash now :)

Kewl mate, can you notice the difference after the cable and battery upgrade?

There's 4 globes that you'll need to replace & 1 x smaller bulb. The 4 bigger ones are called T10s (10mm long) and are a wedge style globe and the smaller one which is situated near the 0km/h on our dash clusters (might be different for yours, you might not even need one) is called a T5 (5mm long).

I'm still yet to put a T5 bulb in mine, lol! Not too fussed... works fine for me. I have a blue colour through my dash now :)

so the 4 globes .......do they go in the console under my headunit? im not really too worried about the one in dash since my speedo doesnt work right now hehe.an where can i pick these up at any auto store??

Good to see the upgrades worked mate.

The info I gave there before was for the dash... not the Head Unit unfortunately. I'm yet to change these myself, but it's up there mate!

I know someone that's done it, but not sure if he comes on TOCAU or Auscam anymore :(