New wheels new problem

rolla_05

Hi guys,

I just bought a brand new set of 17x7 inch wheels and tyres last Thursday. When driving on the freeway on Saturday i noticed at about 90km onwards i would feel vibration/shacking through my steering wheel. Keep in mind I had the alignment and balancing done as well. So on Monday i returned to the tyre place and they re balanced my tires. I drove off and the problem is still there.... Its really frustrating. Can anyone tell me what could be causing the problem. FYI the wheels offset is +40, the car has no suspension mods and this problem wasn’t happening with the stock wheels on.

were you supplied with Hub Rings.

these are black plastic or metal rings that fit inside the mag wheel to provide a perfect fir over your hub.

without these, no matter how well your wheel is balanced your wheels may still vibrate. They are absolutely essential for safe motoring.

if you want to check.. just remove one wheel and have a look inside the mag wheel where hub would sit.

if they are there...

demand the place who fitted balanced the wheels come for a drive with you so they can notice the problem you have, or go to a different wheel balancer for another opinion.

good luck with it.

i went back on Friday, they rebalanced all tyres and checked if all hub rings were on, which they were. The problem is still there!!! I got a little upset so they are ordering a whole new set of rims to eliminate anything to do with the wheels. like maybe one rim isn’t straight or something. I just don’t get it. I didn’t think a second alignment was necessary. If im still having issues with this second set i will go somewhere else for a second opinion i guess.

hahahaha. :) Na i wasn't Tempe. im in melbourne. Iv never had this issue b4 with anyother wheels. i just hope we can sort it out.

Ozzy tyres then... :lol:

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Hey guys just letting you know i went back once again they put a whole new set of rims on, rebalanced the tyres again and still getting the shakes. :( Im going for a second opinion this sat. Its starting to give me the sh#ts.

my car did that once tyres had done 25,000km etc....back and forth to toyota heaps ended up being found to be out of shape tread the tread was like oval ( exxageration but you know what i mean) therefore was vibrating and bouncy sort of....more info in my ride thread below on one of the earlier pages..

This weekend had BobJane take a look for a second opinion. They said the balancing was out a little. However i went for a drive straight afterwards and it is still doing the same thing.. :( :( :( I canot believe it!!! I cant understand what it may be. the steering vibrates/shaking left to right after 90+km. Iv road tested it so many times and found when on the freeway its bad 80% of the time, 20% of the time its fine. Could anyone plz suggest anything else or if you have had a simlar issue like this b4. I really dont want to take the rims back cos they look so good on the car and the fact that it shouldnt be doing this sort of thing anyways. i might go get my mechanic to drive it. Thanks...

my car did that once tyres had done 25,000km etc....back and forth to toyota heaps ended up being found to be out of shape tread the tread was like oval ( exxageration but you know what i mean) therefore was vibrating and bouncy sort of....more info in my ride thread below on one of the earlier pages..

TREAD ISSUE NOT RIMS ?

like i mentioned before mate it could be this....when i say out of shape like oval i mean its basically as if the side wall height differs a little around the tyre and it therefore feels as if bouncy and unbalanced as its not a perfect circle......as toyota could not fix my problem after 4-5 visits and either could tyre shops they took them to bridgestone i think and tested them to check if out of shape and they were.......my current rear treads (rear only) are the same at moment (slightly scalloped so i thought it was due to this..may just be a contributing factor)....i bought them second hand so maybe thats why last person sold them (dunno....not too stressed) so i leave them on the back as least noticeable and i will just replace in time......This was confirmed at my service on wed the guy at toyota said they were going to rotate my tires but noticed diff tread front to back and also that the backs were out of shape so didnt bother ...which i thanked them for as i meant to mention not to rotate them when i dropped off.....id really consider mentioning them to test that

With my orig tyres they had done 30,000km so no chance any warranty replacement etc but with new ones id be demanding a swap of tread.......after so many visits theres no real reason why you have to play nice...demand it......but make sure you are there when they work on your car then as you might experience afew scratches here and there..

cheers mate ...good luck

Edited by jaderd

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem on my corolla, steering quivering left and right.

Found out it was the tyres with all humps and bumps through them.

Do the tyres look ok tho the wheel joints do they?

What do you mean humps and bumps? Not warped? They are new tyers and they look ok as far as i can see. Did you put new tyres on and did it fix the problem? Im going back this week to demand them to put different tyres on.

What i mean is the tyres were fd. They were new too. All they did was put them on a spinner thing and you could see the tread wasnt cut straight low and high points in the tread.

What brand of tyres have you got?

I had Pirelli now got bridgestone and drives beutiful now

What i mean is the tyres were fd. They were new too. All they did was put them on a spinner thing and you could see the tread wasnt cut straight low and high points in the tread.

What brand of tyres have you got?

I had Pirelli now got bridgestone and drives beutiful now

They are Kuhmo sevens.

• 3 weeks later...