Increased strating time when hot

mbruce

In the last few days my Camry (2AZ) seems to have a slightly increased strating time during a hot start. Its not hugely longer, maybe double that of normal. Strange thing is it only dose if you leave it for about 20+ mins after driving it. If you try shortly after stoping, no problem, if you leave it for about an hour also no problem. Cold start is normal also.

I was thinking maybe fuel pressure, but if it was, it would happen on the other instances also wouldn’t it? Could it be maybe I need some new spark plugs? Not that it should make any difference but I have been running it on 98RON for about the last 10 tank fulls.

Any thoughts?

You'll find its just fuel evapouration whilst the engine is at its hottest, it'll still start quicker after a run because the fuel rail is still charged. Next time turn the key to IGN and give it a few more seconds for the fuel pump to charge the rail. Basically the charcoal canister is doing its job.

• 1 month later...

Well took it to Toyota and they fond the problem to be low fuel pressure caused by a deformed “O” ring in the fuel pump assembly. It starts really well now. But they said if it comes back I may need a new fuel pump assembly, but let’s hope it says good!