Help please - indicators, headlights, rear spoiler???

Vixen

Hi all,

Okay, I have a '97 Camry Vienta CSi widebody, which is completely untouched (spare for the very dark tint!) -

So I'm hoping all you fellow Camry owners out there can help me with the following items to start off:-

Clear bumper indicators : I have been able to source clear side indicators, but not the ones for the bumper. From what I've read, the ones you can get from the U.S. won't fit (correct me if i'm wrong here) & it seems that most of you have made your own lenses? If so, how do you go about it & what type of perspex/acrylic have you used? etc.

Headlights : I've been looking at an American website that put me onto Maxzone & they do a "diamond black" headlight - has anyone ever bought a set of these? Do they fit, or will there be issues with fitting because they are for the U.S. Camry? Also, if they do fit (& on account that we drive on the opposite side of the road) - are there likely to be any issues with the way/direction that they project light (or is this only an issue when it comes to HID headlights)? Here is the website I was looking at: http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1992_...lights/maxzone/

Lip spoiler - I'm hoping to get a lip spoiler, rather than a wing spoiler. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? I've only managed to find a picture of a widebody Camry in the U.S. that had one on & to me it looks pretty good. I've attached the picture, though it's a bit too far away to see it really well. If anyone on here has one I'd be stoked to see pics & get some advice on where to get one!!

Looking forward to any help & advice that you guys & girls can give me! Thanks heaps & Cheers!!

hey buddy

i havn't done any of those things but i have looked them up the clear lights are in the diy section

i have found a lip spoiler but its american its an m3 style spoiler sort of the same but i think its a oem spoiler just go on yahoo or google and type in oem lip spoiler

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M3-STYLE-TR...p4506.m20.l1116

those lights should be fine

i'm gonna buy a set of projector headlights for my cam

http://depoautolights.com/toyota-camry-sxv...dd7aa7334df3bde

hope this helps

sean

For the clear indicators/blinkers, there is 2 styles her ein the US. And you are correct, neither will fit. One is a 2 piece design, and the other is a single like yours, but much shorter.

As for the headlights. they will bolt onto your car fine. 2 issues:

1: They use different bulbs. Outside bulbs are the Low beam, and inside is the High beam. You can easily make your own wire harness for it.

2: Yes, the beam pattern is different, so you'll need to adjust the the lights in a big way to be good. As well, they do not put out as good of light as the OEM US headlights do. You CAN get them, and do a custom HID retrofit using a Projector from a car there.

This is my friends car:

(Ok, don;t have pic. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it for you)

As for the Spoiler, if it's the same one as int he pic below (my car), it is RARE. I was just seeing something on that spoiler, and it was not attached. It;s on my friends car now. I've been trying to get one for 2 years. And if you find one, they can sell over $200 used. They do not exist new as faw as I know.

IMG_9875.jpg

G,day

Front indicators have to be custom made here for our Aussie Camrys... makes it fun. I made my own with 3mm sheet of perspex and a tube of Sicaflex (the good stuff, not the normal Sicaflex). To do this job (done a few DIYs on different forums) you need to take the whole housing out, heat up the orange cover, make a template of the orange cover, trace the template to the paper part on the perspex sheet, cut it out using a jigsaw or something similar... get the original orange cover and either dip the perspex into boiling water (straight off the kettle) or use an oven to heat it up... take it out of the oven/water and wrap around the orange cover to get the right shape.

Once shaped and cooled down, use the sicaflex to glue the border of the new cover onto the housing. Once it's dry, you can then paint the border to cover up the sicaflex that you can see through the perspex around the borders... just get a can of spray paint that's the same colour of the car. You'd normally get a strip of masking tape through the centre of the new cover for where you don't want it painted... do 3-4 coats. Looks awesome.

I did mine that way - still goin strong :P

In regards to the headlights, I was gonna buy a set of those black ones... they WILL fit, and yes as the other guy said, you'd need to adjust the pitch on the globe between right and left side road driving (use a screwdriver, easy)... I didn't get them instead and got a new sub :P They apparently have pre-made black depo headlights like this with HIDs already in... 500USD though (or thereabouts).

If you can find someone who can sell those lip spoilers... HIT ME UP!! I want one too :P

Shannon, the issue with the US Depo's with Projectors are those do need to be RHD specific, and I don;t think the US company can do that. :(

As for the Spoiler, if I ever get my damn hands on one, I;m going to try to have 10 or so copies made.

Hi all!

Thanks for all your replies...much appreciated!!

sikwitit - Yeah, I looked at the M3 spoilers too & found a Gen3 Camry with one on it. It didn't look too bad, but maybe a little too suttle? Think I'll still try to get the OEM lip spoiler for now...until it gets too hard & I give up :lol:

ASG14 - Hey, thanks for the insight on the US/Aus compatability issues. Don't know what to do about the headlights now so might have to do a bit more research on that. I really do like the black diamond look & the idea of a HID conversion is also appealing.

Whip Cracker - Thanks heaps for the help with the clear bumper indicators! Awesome...I'll get that job done in no time now!! :clap:

I can see from the amount of time that I've spent looking for the Gen3 lip spoiler (already) that it's going to be no easy task!!! :( Got onto Toyota Nation & found someone on there that seems to sell one every now & then, so have sent them a message. Also found out that these spoilers were made by FoHo, but unfortunately that hasn't helped me much. Found a couple of US sites that do bodykits & it appears that they used to sell these spoilers as part of their kits, so have emailed them too in hopes that they might be able to help. Another small lead that i got off of TN was that some US Camry owners may have used a lip spoiler off of a Saturn (?), but I haven't found much to back this up yet. Will keep searching & I'll be sure to mention on here if have any luck getting one. :D

If anyone can make any more suggestions or advice with the headlights or spoiler issue, be great to hear from you all.

Cheers!! :D

Damn. That projector cutoff is what I love to see. Nothing beats a true HID projector.

In regards to that though, you do need to have the correct HID projector for RHD vehicles. The projector cutoff is not something you can adjust at the back of the assembly. The cutoff is achieved through a metal plate (cutoff shield) inside the projector that determines the beam shape. You can modify this if you really wanted to; it's just not going to be easy.

Just an example of what said cutoff shield:

tndscn9706jpgry4.jpg

Quick update...just been back on TN & might still have a chance of getting hold of a Gen3 lip spoiler after all. Just gotta hope this person replies to my post...fingers crossed hey? They might even have more than one so if all goes well I'll let ya'll know!!

Back to the headlight issue...here's a hypothetical...

If I got the US black diamond headlights (without the HID conversion) for a start & then bought an Aussie HID conversion kit would this resolve most of the problems I would otherwise be facing with the $500US Depo's, or is it not that simple (& I'm guessing it isn't...)? :unsure:

Sorry if this is a dumb question...all new to me... :blink:

Who the **** on TN is selling a lip spoiler? Last 2 that sold went for $300AUD BEFORE shipping. As for the saturn, BigBird had a saturn spoiler, not a lip spoiler. He now has the rare lip spoiler on the car when the previous owner put it on (eyeball96), who ironically, has one on his other Camry too......*****, lol.

If you got the US Black Depo headlights, you'd be fine doing a projector retrofit in them using RHD projectors. You wouldn't have an issue. That would be the only good way for you to do it.

Edited by ASG14

BAH!!! - ignore me...i'm a moron! :whistling: Might have helped if i could read dates! I mean I know it was late at night & all, but what the hell was I thinking??!!

You know what they say...if it sounds too good to be true - it probably is :( (So dissapointed right now...)

Okay, so BigBird had a Saturn spoiler - it was flush-mounted though wasn't it? From the photos I did see of his car it looked alright (?).

^ As soon as I looked at TN, I figured you screwed up on dates, lol.

Rob (BigBird's) was not flush. It was actually higher then the OEM spoiler. I don't know of any other Saturn ones people have used. I may have missed it.....

Well...it looks like I'm just not going to get one of these illusive lip spoilers :angry: Can't see why they're such a rare item considering they look sooo good - normally that would mean they're popular & not hard to come by. Anyone ever tried any other type of flush-mounted / lip spoilers?

The reason, unfortunatley, they are so rare, is that they were only sold in a few states. It was never a real Toyota spoiler per say. It;s hard to explain, but it. The part # for the spoiler does not even exist in the Toyota computer. <_< I've tried. If I ever get my hands on one, I;m have a batch remade in fiberglass. But who the hell knows whne that will be.