Rear Suspension Noise

Milgram

Recently in my 99 Camry, I've noticed the rear suspension has been "thumping" a little bit more instrusively over certain surfaces. The back also seems to "thump" slightly over speed humps even if they are taken at slow speed.

I had some noise from the front suspension traced to the strut mounts sometime ago - the mounts were replaced and the noise has disappeared. Is it possible the rear mounts have worn out too or should I be looking at something else? I have noticed the back wheels are quite rough when going over speed humps - it tends to be a fair bit harsher than the front.

I'm not sure about your Camry, but if your shocks are the cartridge type, the top part that holds the cartridge down could also be a little loose. This is distinguishable by a knocking sound. You would really notice it in this case cause it sounds like your wheels are loose or something is going to fall off. If your shocks are a full strut replacement, then disregard this possibility.

I've noticed a few other tendencies of late with my car. When cornering, there is noticeable bodyroll, significantly more than usual.

I've also noticed that when it is windy, the car feels less stable and there is noticeable swaying, particularly at highway speeds.

I've noticed a few other tendencies of late with my car. When cornering, there is noticeable bodyroll, significantly more than usual.

I've also noticed that when it is windy, the car feels less stable and there is noticeable swaying, particularly at highway speeds.

as ASG14 said, especially considering that

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure about your Camry, but if your shocks are the cartridge type, the top part that holds the cartridge down could also be a little loose. This is distinguishable by a knocking sound. You would really notice it in this case cause it sounds like your wheels are loose or something is going to fall off. If your shocks are a full strut replacement, then disregard this possibility.

I have a 1998 Vienta Grande and this noise has recently started. First thought it was loose bits in the boot, then sounds like rattling/clunking in the rear suspension. Had a look, no obvious loose links, etc. The tops of the rear struts/shocks seem to be inaccessibly buried in the sheet metal. Anybody with a similar model know how to inspect the rear strut/shock mounts?

Don't you need to take the back parcel shelf cover off?

- Take the back seat out (2 clips at the front of the seat)

- Take the side bolster seat thingys off (next to the back side belts)

- Undo the screws holding the rest of the parcel shelf cover on... you should then see the strut tops for the rear suspension.

If you have one of them Granny parcel shelf brake lights, you'll need to unscrew/disconnect that too.

Have done this many times when playing around with the rear speakers :) But I don't have one of those brake lights as they don't come with my model and are wired into the spoiler instead.