whats the largest rims i can get?

Armstrong

hey all,

whats the largest rims i can buy on a ae102. I was told to buy 17'' cos their cheaper then the 16''. Also u get a better range with the 17''.

Will 17'' look stupid or too big for my car? im currently on 14'' at the moment

.....it would be interesting to see what others think of 17'' being put on

Edited by Armstrong

17" is probably the biggest you would want to go.

Anything larger will give you clearence issues.

17'' is the largest i want to go. But what would people recomend 16'' or 17''.

also will having 17'' cause any problems for handling compared to the 14'' i currently have

16" for performance reasons ie track..

17" for looks, handling wise it would be improved but more bumpy on the road. Depends if you accompany it with some good tyres.

cool thanks for the instant replies mate :clap:

Edited by Armstrong

16s for only one reason i can think of, cheaper rubber to replace.

16" rubber for an AE102 means 205/45/16, which will either give you cheap and crappy tyres, or good but ridiculously expensive (relatively) ones. In some cases, going to a 17" will give you a bigger tyre range at sometimes cheaper prices than the 16s

On that point though, I fully recommend 16s for performance/handling. 17s will look OK (the 102s have pretty big wheelarches, especially the fronts), but 16s definitely for handling as a maximum.

16" rubber for an AE102 means 205/45/16, which will either give you cheap and crappy tyres, or good but ridiculously expensive (relatively) ones. In some cases, going to a 17" will give you a bigger tyre range at sometimes cheaper prices than the 16s

On that point though, I fully recommend 16s for performance/handling. 17s will look OK (the 102s have pretty big wheelarches, especially the fronts), but 16s definitely for handling as a maximum.

Okay...but either way going 16 or 17 is still going to be better handling than the 14'' yokohama A drive tyres im currently on?

Okay...but either way going 16 or 17 is still going to be better handling than the 14'' yokohama A drive tyres im currently on?

Most likely, if you get good tyres. Best handling would be from 15s and semi-slicks, but they're no use for everyday road driving. 205/45/16 on something like RE001s or S-drives will be almost as good, certainly better than stock suspension will allow too.

Most likely, if you get good tyres. Best handling would be from 15s and semi-slicks, but they're no use for everyday road driving. 205/45/16 on something like RE001s or S-drives will be almost as good, certainly better than stock suspension will allow too.

what size have u got fitted on ur car?

• 1 month later...

you can get 18 in the guards but theres not a big selection of 18x6.5-7 with a 4x100 stud patern

it looks good but 35 series tyres mean a very very bumpy ride

i have 17x7 on mine tho with a 215/40/17 tyre

Edited by robie

i thought it was 2inches higher than factory?

Everyone says that, but I don't think it's ever been the case...

You can increase the wheel size so much so that you are driving on solid rubber if you want (as long as that also meets your load rating for your vehicle). So long as the diameter of the tyre is not more than +15mm over stock, and the offset doesn't increase the track by +26mm you are fine. There's is also a minimum for those too, but I don't remember them, nor do I think it would ever matter in most cases. :P

Insurance companies generally follow this rule, but also throw in a thing about exceeding 7" wide rims on certain vehicles (4 cylinder?). I hear this alot, but I don't know if it is vehicle specific or what. eg: max 10" wide rim on a HSV...?

Gav.

i thought it was 2inches higher than factory?

Everyone says that, but I don't think it's ever been the case...

You can increase the wheel size so much so that you are driving on solid rubber if you want (as long as that also meets your load rating for your vehicle). So long as the diameter of the tyre is not more than +15mm over stock, and the offset doesn't increase the track by +26mm you are fine. There's is also a minimum for those too, but I don't remember them, nor do I think it would ever matter in most cases. :P

Insurance companies generally follow this rule, but also throw in a thing about exceeding 7" wide rims on certain vehicles (4 cylinder?). I hear this alot, but I don't know if it is vehicle specific or what. eg: max 10" wide rim on a HSV...?

Gav.

The rules are different state to state

If you need exact info, go to the RTA website and download VSI09, it's the Vehicle Standards Information for wheel and tyre modifications. It spells out exactly what is and isn't legal, plus what you can fit without needing to notify the RTA.