engine mods for a gen 3 camry

sikwitit

hey everybody on tocau

i'm modifying my camry and i want to do a few performance mods but being on my p's i noe turbos and superchargers are out of the question for now but i want to know how much hp i can go over standard and what parts can i buy to gain more power out of the v6 engine

any help would be greatly appreacitaed

sean

Hmmmm... from what I know:

- Extractors and full exhaust - Could give you a couple of kw more... but the pickup/acceleration would be the best advantage. Looking around 1.5k though with custom extractors (they don't make off the shelf extractors for 3VZs or 1MZs and the cheapest I have seen is around 900 bucks fitted)

- Ported and Polished heads - Can gain an extra 10kw... if not more - Would be the best bang for your buck.

- Piggyback ECU - Can have this tuned to get more outta ya car... prices vary depending on the brand and who you get to tune it.

- Better fuel - there's shizloads of topics on good fuel on TOCAU and AC forums... I prefer Shell V Power (98 octane) and use Nulon Total System Cleaner... cleans injectors, fuel tank etc etc... works for me. Can feel the smoothness in the car.

There's plenty of information on the MR2 forums in the states (they love dropping 3VZs into the MR2s over there for Torque and turboing) and they have all sorts of upgrades for the 3VZs, right from Intake plenum to changing the AFM settings (FYI the AFM gives more fuel at around 4k RPM, which you'll notice) and people have changed the AFM to give that fuel all the way through the RPM range.

Don't worry about CAI - it won't make a difference for our cars. The AFM is smart enough to know when more air's going into the engine and will adjust accordingly anyway.

Let me know if you want any further info :)

Custom y pipe! The only major known flow problem with the exhaust system. And you can net quite a few hp (some says up to 30hp) if it is designed properly for less then $400-500. (I paid 220 and it wasnt even mates rates)

Edited by STYLSH

Dude, I dunno how them Red and Green P plates work... you're still running a naturally aspirated engine and nothing's really been changed in the engine by all means.

Anthony does have a good point with the Y Pipe... the guys in the states rave about the bloody things!

i will go see the ehorst people this weekend and see how much a y pipe is for my car.

i think i will only do the port and polish and exhorst and flush the engine might get a piggy back computer

thanks for your input

sean

p.s if anyone else knows anything else please tell me

All engine mods are illegal for a P plate driver...

Mate had a Charade with a Canon, was pulled over and fined for breaking the rules...

Should have had a Nikon?

Is a cannon classed as an engine mod? Pffft...

Come to Qld - they don't give a crap up here :)

"Any modification which increases engine performance"

A non-standard/non-stock-replacement exhaust item could be argued to be increasing engine performance. Then again, it does depend on how anal the cop is. If you're not driving like a *******, excessive noise etc then you're unlikely to get pulled over for something that minor - if they're operating a defect bay or something when they're targetting this kind of stuff then maybe.

hey everybody i went and talked to the guys at high octane racing in rydalmere and they said the only things i can get are a pod filter and a exhorst system on my p's so thats what i'm gonna do

sean

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I am also on my P's, but in SA and have a 1997 MCV20 Toyota Camry CSI V6 with a 1MZ-FE in it =) I'm considering putting an exhaust on it (got quoted $450 for a 2.25" cat back with free flowing muffler). Do you think that it's worth it, considering the car has just over 270 000km on the clock, but is mechanically A1?

Thanks.