difference between sx and zr

black turkey

hey i am seriously considering a gen 7 celica in the next month, i was doing a bit of research and i came across this difference in performance. what i gatehr is they are the exact same car but the zr has more comfort options, same motor gearbox blah blah. but redbook says that although the sx is 30kg lighte rit accelerates to 100 almost a full second slower than the zr.

sx- http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars/detail...id=11F6781AA645

zr- http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars/detail...id=11F6781AA645

its the same with all the year models of the gen 7.

im pretty sure this is just a mistake on redbook, as if u search for 1999 celicas they show a gen 7 body with gen 6 specs ie. 5sfe motor.

anyway i just want to clarify this as ill be pretty ****** if i choose the sx and am a second slower than if i chose a zr.

It could be a mistake, but I have heard that some Celicas are rev limited to 7800rpm, and not 8200-8400rpm.

That might affect 0-100kph times, but not that much I would've thought. It's probably 5S-FE stats by mistake...

Cheers, Gav.

1999 is the changeover year for celica. The older st204 (5sfe) and the newer zzt-231 (2zz-ge) were for sale at the time.

The older st204 is the one with twin round headlights and come with the 5sfe 2.0L 100kw economy engine, regardless of it being sx or zr. Except for jap imports ones that come with teh 3sge.

The newer zzt231 are the current shape one minuse the updated front bar in 2005-onwards. All the zzt231 comes with the 2zz-ge performance 141kw engine same as the ones that come in Corolla sportivo and lotus exige/some elise. The main feature the zr have over sx is abs brakes, 16" wheels, sunroof as standard, red interior, aluminium pedals and door sill and side airbags. Therefore, the zr weighs abit more, but the 1/4mile times on both sx and zr are approximately the same.

Also as stated above, there are minor ecu differences in the years. Can't remember to be exact but it's something like:

1999 having lift at 6000 and rev limit at 8450rpm.

2000-2001,2003-2004 having lift at 6200 and rev limit at 8350rpm.

2002, 2005 having lift at 6200 and rev limit at 7800rpm.

Edited by 51EKA

ok sweet, thanks man. im going to go more towards one of the ones not limited to 7800. is there anyone who can give me a insight of the driveability of the car, as in normal driving (lowish rpms, no lift) does it pull ok, and happily keep up with traffic? or am i gonna have to be around 4-8k the whole time?

It will be quiet gutless down low as it's made to rev high, it's like any other 1.8L 4cyl. But you won't have to bring it up above 4k for day to day driving. Test drive one, everyone's different.

ZR ftw. its nice to have little touches like ABS brakes, 16" wheels, Sunroof, Aluminium pedals, Door Sills and Side Airbags.

well, thats in my opinion anyways..

:)

Edited by Lift yo'

It will be quiet gutless down low as it's made to rev high, it's like any other 1.8L 4cyl. But you won't have to bring it up above 4k for day to day driving. Test drive one, everyone's different.

for highway driving it would be great, because you would always be within the reach of the engines powerband. however, for city driving you may be disappointed at times due to the lack of torque.

imo, with high revving 4 bangers, all the get up and go feels like it got up and went with everyday, realistic driving.

agree with lateralus

but when you get into lift, you will get up and leave every 6 cylinder in this country that isn't FI on a spirited drive. Just take a look at the race sheets of sportivo's, only the VTEC's are their nemesis.

whitestivo

2002, 2005 having lift at 6200 and rev limit at 7800rpm.

Got a 2005 at home that has redline at 7800, however the rev limit is at 8200, stock ECU.

As for the engine being 'torque-less'. Put it this way, if you shift at 3000rpm you will pull away from most people at the lights.

(not in racing situations, just normal driving)

Do I smell a track weapon, SuperDave? B)

Surely you could get a perspex manufacturer to make you something of the same size, and then use windscreen type seals??

I'd get it welded up. From a wrecked celica or something.

That's what they do with the production race cars.

Edited by 51EKA