Key ring remote battery

Cookie

Had a message flash up on the screen that the key ring/remote battery needs replacing 'contact dealer' but can't see how the unit comes apart.

Anyone repaced their battery in the remote?

Surely it doesn't need the dealer to do it?

Had a message flash up on the screen that the key ring/remote battery needs replacing 'contact dealer' but can't see how the unit comes apart.

WARRANTY!

I asked the salesperson today when I took delivery of my car. You have to pull the mechanical key out and you'll see a slit the same size as the tip of the mechanical key. You just have to stick the key in and pry the casing open. He didn't actually do it but it should work.

• 8 months later...

My Key Fob has been for a swim in fresh water and it still worked when I got back to the car, what if it didnt and you have a Grande, can we start the car with out the fob present??? We were on Holiday 6 hours from Sydney and the second remote was at home....now we always take two when we go away

Edited by PC XT

... what if it didnt and you have a Grande, can we start the car with out the fob present???

With the Smart Entry, if you battery is flat you can hold the key up to the start button (the Toyota logo held close to the start button), then you quickly pull the key away and immediately press the start button.

... what if it didnt and you have a Grande, can we start the car with out the fob present???

With the Smart Entry, if you battery is flat you can hold the key up to the start button (the Toyota logo held close to the start button), then you quickly pull the key away and immediately press the start button.

That interesting do you know if it is a magnetic swipe type device and maybe water proof?

Edited by PC XT

That interesting do you know if it is a magnetic wipe type device and maybe water proof?

It's a passive RFID override. In a way it is waterproof, but should you get water on the components and don't let it dry properly (or get salt water on it and don't rinse it), then you can damage the components.

• 3 months later...

sounds like if you have a car with a push button start, take full roadside assist IE RACV, NRMA, RACQ or whoever, complete care at least it should get you and your car home or to somewhere safe, most likely without, or maybe minimal cost!!

My Key Fob has been for a swim in fresh water and it still worked when I got back to the car, what if it didnt and you have a Grande, can we start the car with out the fob present??? We were on Holiday 6 hours from Sydney and the second remote was at home....now we always take two when we go away

My key fob went flat the other day without any warning. Once I got into the car by using the secret key in the fob, I then put the key fob as close as possible to the start button and it detected the key and allowed me to start the car. I need a new battery so I am shopping around otherwise it is $22 from dealer unfitted.

My key fob went flat the other day without any warning. Once I got into the car by using the secret key in the fob, I then put the key fob as close as possible to the start button and it detected the key and allowed me to start the car. I need a new battery so I am shopping around otherwise it is $22 from dealer unfitted.

The battery is CR1632 i think.

CR1632 isn't available at DSE but is available at Jaycar for $3.95

Edited by u54mot

• 9 months later...