Steering wheel problem

mslun

Hi all,

Last week I took my sx6 to check on a steering and break noise, so they end up found the steering shaft was crack and replaced it, also tighten up the break.....but this is where the other problems got started which really annoying me...

Right after I took my car back, I found out

1. When I turn (doesnt matter left or right), the steering wheel suddenly become heavier - not sure how to describe it exactly but I have to use a bit more force to turn pass it and then it will become normal, it is not smooth at all.

2. Heard a really weird noise from engine bay - it sounds like one or two screws are running around somewhere from behind the dash <----I hear this if I turn fast enough

Took it back to them this morning and got it back at 5pm, asked what happened, they said they couldn't found any problem with the steering problem, and with the weird noise they told me some clips weren't clipped properly...fine...but then on my way home I heard that screws noise running around again !!!! really annoying...

Anyone came across such problems? any advise would be really appreciated.

Thx

Sounds like maybe something to do with the power steering pump? When you turn the steering wheel any direction from center, it puts load on the engine and pump as the power steering pump must force fluid into the steering rack. If there is something wrong with the pump, or a loose belt or anything it may cause the strange "weight" in the steering and possibly strange rattling noises. It could also be the valves in the actual steering rack that might be faulty or the rack itself - given that you mentioned the steering shaft was cracked?

I find it surprising that a steering shaft could have cracked though. Did they give you any idea of how this could happen? About the best course of action would be to sit in the car with a Toyota technician, and get them to drive around in the same situation that you would normally see the problem. For such a new car, all the steering components should still be under warranty. A cracked steering shaft in the first place indicates a serious problem, and I personally would not be driving the car until they have found and fixed the problem - even if they need to replace the entire steering system!

Edited by dave262