Toyota Corolla Sportivo Brake Upgrade

Guni

Hey guys, whilst painting my callipars 2 weeks ago, i found that my rear pads had a bit of meat left. I thought they should last me quite a while somemore but just in case they don't, i got these ....

DSC00258.jpg

Looking to only initially replace pads for the rear and perhaps maybe only do my brakes later on, I found that I did quite a botched job of the callipar painting as seen in my previous thread. Not liking to do things twice, I went and go ahead with the brake upgrade.

I got this .....

DSC00261.jpg

for the front having had the rear already .....

and this ....

DSC00260.jpg

and got someone to made this up

DSC00292.jpg

comes with a cert too!

DSC00274.jpg

Not to forget the rotors .......

DSC00278.jpg

And so off I went .......... removed the callipars and sprayed it again .........

DSC00268.jpg

Thanks to the IKEA shoe rack, I was able to position it properly. The next time I'll have to this again would be when I'll sandblast, powdercoat them and the whole kit and kaboodle ..... too much of a pain otherwise I reckon ..... But hope they'll last a while before they flake off ....

Anyways, back to the main plot ......

Had car on stands and did the rear first ....

DSC00262.jpg

Stock ....... and replaced .....

DSC00263.jpg

Rear was all good. The old lines poped out and callipar swap was straight forward. I choose to keep the rear rotor stock because I personally don't see a point upgrading them. Most of braking is at the front anyways so ...........

DSC00282.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

Replaced the rotors which looked sexy ...... and when it came to do the lines, I got stuck .... unscrewed the nut from the hose housing and it should have poped out like the rear did but it didn't. It was stuck there.

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

I tried using a little more force than normal but since these are what is helping me stop, I don't want to break anything .........

Question is, does anyone ever had any difficulty with this?

It felt like the hose that goes into the middle

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

is stuck some how or is it meant to be this difficult to remove?

Mind you the rear just poped out when I unscrewed the securing nut. I assumed it would be the same at the fronts as well but both of them seemed tight.

Experiences or expertise please ..... Are the fronts meant to pop out as easy as the rear or are you meant to apply a little more "force" than normal to disconnect the hose?

nice! looking neat there.. did you just diy it all??

Not all. About half. Did it with my mech at his place. He lead while I follow as to learn and not f@rk anything up basically. Did one while I did another. Pretty quick. Charged me 200 for it all. Materials were all provided by me.

Also ran in brakes as close to following this as I could but all good.

There were smoke and **** coming out from my front rotors. Good stuff.

Hey Looks Good Guni....We can only change the Front Rotors isnt it? because as far as i remember dba rotors for our stivo comes with option only left or right...but i am guessing they are for the fronts or are they both the same mate?

Hey Looks Good Guni....We can only change the Front Rotors isnt it? because as far as i remember dba rotors for our stivo comes with option only left or right...but i am guessing they are for the fronts or are they both the same mate?

Thanks John.

You can change both the fronts and rears but DBA only has a part number for the front for our cars. If you want to chagne the rears as well would be when you'll have to go RDA.

Part number for RDA rears slotted are RDA7780S

There are RDA equivalent for the fronts and they are RDA7784S

As for DBA,

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

They are directional so make sure you specify that.

Problem with the front line is they are still stock. Still trying to see if anyone here knows if they should be that difficult to remove from the housing where the brake lines go.

guni, terrific mod, very impressed.

whitestivo

Thanks Phil.

I thought all this talk about more power and going faster but how about stopping ????

Then comes this .... Hope it helps everyone out there who wants to do the same thing.

Question to everyone. Is it meant to be that difficult to remove the front brake hose?

No one has been able to tell me that..... :blink:

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

...but DBA only has a part number for the front for our cars...

Just use the rear rotors for the SA build zze122 (2719), its the same size.

If refered to the DBA part page, there is only a selection for Jap built ZZE122 and not SA. Then there is the ZZE123 which lists the front rotors only but not back. None the less, I tried looking at the specs of the rear rotors and came up with

Diameter: 269; Original Height: 56; Original Thickness: 9; Minimum Thickness: 8; Centre Hole: 55; No of bolts: 4

DBA713S matches this perfectly althought the DBA site listed it as "ZZE122 (all models exp South African Model)". The RDA equivalent is RDA7780S.

On the same site when trying to list the same rotor for the ZZT231 Celica has the same specs except for the number of bolts where its 5 instead of 4.

In short, DBA713S will fit the ZZE123 Sportivo should anyone wants to persue that. It would also fit the ZZE122 but I suggest you confirm the exact specs first that looking that there could be a potential difference with the Jap built and SA built rollas.

As for me, I'll still maintain my current setup as I feel that the rear does too little in order to warrant an overhaul other than the already changed over braided lines and pads. I'll swap the rotors only when its worn and needs changing but that's me :whistling: :)

Thanks SD.

Problem with the front line is they are still stock. Still trying to see if anyone here knows if they should be that difficult to remove from the housing where the brake lines go.

Why do we have to specify that they are directional? What does it actually mean and also what is the other option (which we should stay away from)?

Why do we have to specify that they are directional? What does it actually mean and also what is the other option (which we should stay away from)?

Sorry, meant to say that these slotted rotors are directional so you'll need to specify that you want a pair. One for the left and the one for the right ;)

Although i doubt anyone selling them would be so blurrrr ..............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, meant to say that these slotted rotors are directional so you'll need to specify that you want a pair. One for the left and the one for the right ;)

dont be too sure about that :P

dont be too sure about that :P

yes yes ..... :D

UPDATE !!!

As you all know, I had problems with removing the stock hose from the front of the car to replace it with the beautiful braided ones I got.

Went to a mechanic and aparently its normal with Toyotas as he had the same thing happen to him for a camry as well. He had to cut the stock hose connector where it joins to the lines which effectively meant that I cannot re-use the stock hose. I can't really care as long as he got the job done.

So its all good now. Will try to get pictures up when I get the chance.

Brakes all fully upgraded now !!! YES!!!!

So in order to try it, I've braked harder and found my balls have been in front of my car lately :P :P :P :P :P :P

Oh yeah!!!

Remember to do this and understand this for your own benefit.

Cheers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In summary, you'll have to destroy your stock brake hose in order to fit new ones in as they are f@rked from the assembly line.

They are done up that tight you cannot remove it without doing some jigging.

Surprisingly, no problems with the rears.

So you can only keep the stock rears and not the fronts but you should be able to get some from toyota or the wreckers if you ever need to revert back.

:)

Very Nice Guan...Thanks For Sharing All The Information & Experience With Us >_<

Always a pleasure :)

Hope it helps anyone out there wanting to do the same.

Manage to remove wheels today and get some of the front shots.

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

Backshot

DSC00334.jpg

DSC00335.jpg

Then put these back.

DSC00336.jpg

Can't wait for more F1 action. Already feel the comfy-ness ...... :lol: