What is with this fuel filter?

Hi,

In the thread The Damage that low fuel can do we decided the best solution to the problem was to replace the fuel filter.

This was done and the car ran like before, with good pickup, smooth acceleration and no power fluctuations. I'd had the 4A-FE engine checked out before buying and it was fine with low kms, just right for local city driving. This engine goes up the steepest hills on Sydney's North Shore at 1/8th throttle and at the speed limit. It's made for high torque when you need it.

This return to normal driving lasted for about 3 days. During that time I didn't let the fuel go below 1/2 tank. (Original problem seems to have been caused by running near dry for about 15 minutes).

Then the problems returned. Not nearly as bad as before initially, but in the following days it has been getting near to the same erratic power drop offs - this time at low and high speeds and without any extra load on the engine like a hill and not only when powering up sharply.

Not a pleasant driving experience.

I have to wonder about the part that I was supplied (see attached Photos front and back).

The replacement fuel filter is described on the Tax Invoice as a T2330019195 fuel filter. The label on the filter makes it clear it's a Toyota filter.

However I have to wonder about some things:

1) As seen in the pictures (taken just after installation), the filter has a lot of patches of bare paint, especially on the back and top.

I took this as being the result of installation in a hurry. But is that corrosion on the bare metal? Is this a NEW fuel filter or a used part?

2) The serial number given on the invoice is slightly incorrect, it calls it a T2330016195 fuel filter, but the label says T2330016190. Just a five instead of the zero, does that make any difference?

What matters is whether this is the right fuel filter for an AE92 Toyota Corolla with a 4A-FE engine?

What do people think?

NOTE: I've taken new photos after removing grease from the filter to provide a clearer view. They are attached below at Post #6.

Edited by NightFlight

my opinion is your fuel pumps on its last legs, seen this happen plenty of times before. where some ones run it on empty cloged there filter, replaced it only to have there pump die days later its prity common.

in the 2nd pic it looks as though thats the bracket missing the paint, not the filter. even if it was missing the paint, its probably from being scraped when it was being installed. if you've every replaced a fuel filter yourself you'll know theres not much room to play with to scrapes and scratches are common

the first pic just looks like smudged grease from someones hands, no worries there.

in the 2nd pic it looks as though thats the bracket missing the paint, not the filter. even if it was missing the paint, its probably from being scraped when it was being installed. if you've every replaced a fuel filter yourself you'll know theres not much room to play with to scrapes and scratches are common

the first pic just looks like smudged grease from someones hands, no worries there.

It's important I get this right.

Too much grease....

Here attached are new photos of the fuel filter with the grease removed.

It would help if I got answers to the two questions I asked (without obstructing oil) before I put the car into the shop again and get the fuel pump changed.

post-11520-1239771883_thumb.jpg

post-11520-1239771902_thumb.jpg

Edited by NightFlight

chipped paint, big deal. The filter would be new.

Have you done a diagnostics check?

http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/

Yes I would hope it was new, just the things I've seen go on with auto repairs .....

OK I'll do a diagnostic again.

Q. Is this the right filter for this model?

Edited by NightFlight

Yes I would hope it was new, just the things I've seen go on with auto repairs .....

If it fits and doesn't leak, it's right. I think you're looking more into it than you need to. As has already been mentioned, I'd put money on it being your fuel pump.

If it fits and doesn't leak, it's right. I think you're looking more into it than you need to. As has already been mentioned, I'd put money on it being your fuel pump.

So any filter will do?

So any filter will do?

As long as it fits properly and is of the correct type, then sure. I know plenty of people who are ditching screw-in filters to run old-school barbed filters for simplicity.

As long as it fits properly and is of the correct type, then sure. I know plenty of people who are ditching screw-in filters to run old-school barbed filters for simplicity.

And cost too. Barbed filters are a couple of bucks, I've seen some of the bigger fuel filters sell for $60 or more.