grinding soon after new rotors installed

123R-Prozak

got my rotors (x4) replaced 2-3 weeks ago under warranty for brake shudder, very pleased with what they have done..

recently driving i can hear grinding noises :huh: it was at night so i ran my fingers along the disc rotors and it was smooth, no indications of metal to metal. ( i havn't taken my wheels off yet to check )

Wouldn't Toyota notified me that my pads are low, + i just got my car 2,500km ago used from toyota.

Can anything else cause this grinding? also its at stopping speeds, if i apply brakes at 100 it wont grind, NSF ( Near Side Front )!!!

-ta! :lol:

will check when got the chance.. drove down to wollongong last night and started grinding down the stwisties, pulled over, found dust cover hitting rotor, tried getting branches of the side of the road to bend it back from between the spokes of the wheel no go, got my wheel brace and tried hitting it no go LOL.. ill have to take the wheel off when i get the chance, most likely when i get king lows..

thanx fellas, will post when its bent back and when problem if solved and not accuring anymore..

p.s random hero, ill check shims aswell :)

• 2 weeks later...

okay, brakes were really giving me the ****s today so i pulled the wheels off in the driveway, used my apprentice skills :lol: and checked it out...dust covers are away from rotors... checked pads, still 5-6mm, way off the wear indicators.. check the shims and their not hitting the rotors... i swear i dunno im getting ****** lol, starting to think its the rotors they put on.. maybe its cheap non genuine :( shall i machine my rotors on mon??

okay, brakes were really giving me the ****s today so i pulled the wheels off in the driveway, used my apprentice skills :lol: and checked it out...dust covers are away from rotors... checked pads, still 5-6mm, way off the wear indicators.. check the shims and their not hitting the rotors... i swear i dunno im getting ****** lol, starting to think its the rotors they put on.. maybe its cheap non genuine :( shall i machine my rotors on mon??

yeah not to sure bout that one(maybe warped rotors esp if ya play hard) but grinding usually means metal to metal :unsure: ,maybe get an independant brake joint (i used ABS in think Homebush/Parramatta) when i lived up there,or maybe time to put some performance rotors & pads on and see what happens.

p.s those twisties into Wollongong are great,but not so much fun for you at the moment with grinding noises coming from ya brakes esp on some of those downhill sections. :(

warped rotors will cause brake shudder, she's smooth :( ill machine them on monday, seeing as ive only done approx 1,000km on these rotors they will still have enough meat on em to shave em :(

i dont get it why it a metalic noise and there is no indications of metal to metal,

im bored if anyone has mechanical skills and wants to listen

can c*ap rotors cause noise???

here's my rotors.. i do go abit hard on them.. if i machine and it goes away then comes back i know its the rotors right? if that does happen ill replace with slotted or something....

look if u think it needs machining..

disc.jpg

p.s mind the date *stupid camera*

Edited by 123R-Prozak

warped rotors will cause brake shudder, she's smooth :( ill machine them on monday, seeing as ive only done approx 1,000km on these rotors they will still have enough meat on em to shave em :(

i dont get it why it a metalic noise and there is no indications of metal to metal,

im bored if anyone has mechanical skills and wants to listen

without being able to looking at it myself its a bit hard to diagnose (its what i do for a living,workshop manager for our fleet of tow trucks & customers cars,not on the spanners much these days in the office more),well its obviously doing something different under load as opposed to the hoist/jack( free wheeling) thats maybe why theres no visable signs or noise when checking with the wheel off,under load maybe things are a little different when alls nice and hot and expanded to the max,maybe those shims and indicators may not be right?

anyway hope the machining on monday dose the trick,good luck.

random hero, started happening about 2-3 weeks after i got it back from toyota, its a weekend car so i hardly drive it, tho she's out of warranty now.. its a hassel to take it back to northern beaches when i live out west :(

when i just took the wheel nuts to check yesterday, they were tight but not too tight, i didnt really struggle taking them off, still doing it after i put them back on..

k, put the car on the hoist and removed all wheels, took the rear rotors off to inspect the shoes, all good.. rear pads n shims, all good

took front calipers off again, and inspected pads once again, found the metal plate that goes between the pad and piston lose? so put heat industrial glue :D and bent the tabs some more, and she was good from the drive home from homebush to penrith... so fingers cross its all good.. if it comes back i know its the rotors cause pads are genuine..

thanx for ya help people, it may sound weird how the sound is gone.. But it may not even be it :wacko: