ultimate vs vortex

matt_kluger

hi all

i usually fill up my kluger on Vortex 95 ... however after scanning a few forums (other car forums too) i'm constantly seeing that BP ultimate is rated very highly from users.

Has anyone used the two? Also, i'm not sure it would be worth putting ultimate in a kluger... what is everyones thoughts?

Cheers

Matt

BP ultimate every tank of fuel bar 1-2 over the last 2.5 years.....the one or two other tanks were with Shell V power.....

Ive just found BP ultimate to get me good economy and feels good....although prob all psychological lol

I personally think it all comes down to the individual. Some swear by one fuel type more than the other. Some have bad experiences, some don't.

Firstly, the best comparison to BP Ultimate would be Vortex 98 since the Ultimate is a 98 octane fuel and for the sake of comparing, may have slight differences to Vortex 95.

I've used both types of fuel and find that Vortex 98 does the trick for me and BP Ultimate performs no better. I have a Caltex around the corner and it is easier to fill with Vortex 98, so I primarilly use that as I have no issues with it. Between that and the Ultimate, my fuel economy remains the same.

BP ultimate every tank of fuel bar 1-2 over the last 2.5 years.....the one or two other tanks were with Shell V power.....

Ive just found BP ultimate to get me good economy and feels good....although prob all psychological lol

haha yeah its prob all in the mind... but i am up for giving it a go, I might fill up with ultimate on the next tank and see how it goes... just not sure there's much point on a kluger - maybe if it was turbo... but not a stock V6. Will test it out anyway.

Cheers

Matt

Ultimate for Kluger prob a bit overdone.

But I have to say I use BP Ultimate for all my sports cars and race car now. I used to use Shell particularly the Optimax Extreme and later V Power Racing. But at the later of last year I found V Power getting worse and worse and dyno do not lie.

I did use BP Ultimate for Kluger once, that is awesome. V Power is just very sluggish. Same price hmmm.

I much prefer Kluger with the Vortex 95. Give enough power... and has be best economy. Even better is BP 95, but I shop at Safeway/Woolworth. So hence my choice.

Once again, my opinion with no proven results, i "mentally" notice that i get better fuel economy with bp ultimate but gain better performance with vortex..........i probly just thrash it more out of caltex than bp seeing as theres a cop shop next to the bp near mine.lol

im gunna give Mobil 8000 a plug been in the car since new,my old piece of crap Ford BA XR6 i used BP ultimate for most of its life and theres no comparison the Aurion runs sooooo much better or is this because its a Toyota and not a piece of crap Ford.(hehe)

I used to run BP Ultimate in my Subaru Forester but when the company I was working for switched their fuel cards to Caltex, I could only run 91 RON. I noticed a definte change in engine performance. I've always run 91 RON in my Kluger as the fuel card won't let me put anything else in.

I noticed a definte change in engine performance.

The difference will depend a lot on the engine. The Kluger engine runs on 91 RON quite well. 95 may be a bit better but 98 is just a big **** and waste of money imo.

In the Grande, you can tell there is more power with RON95 instead of RON91. You seem to get the same power between RON95 and RON98, but better economy with RON98.

In the KX-R, the economy is pretty similar with all grades, but the higher the RON, the more the wheels spin when taking off.

If you are into performance you can read my thread and I have a full summary of the different fuel types and the measured performance's of them in the Kluger.

I like 95, but really ALL of them work and deliver the goods in terms of acceleration and economy (rather than me re-type it, better you read it) nearly 13000 view thread :)

Dont even bother with E10, the savings as the pump is lost in consumption. Mine went to 18L be 100k!

Trying ultimate 98 bp currentyly, getting 14.5L but thats towing on short stop start traffic, was getting 16L with regular under normal driving, so im impressed!

Dont even bother with E10, the savings as the pump is lost in consumption. Mine went to 18L be 100k!

Trying ultimate 98 bp currently, getting 14.5L but that's towing on short stop start traffic, was getting 16L with regular under normal driving, so im impressed!

I would STRONGLY advise to NOT use ANY alcohol blended fuel in the Toyota 3.5 V6. I have not brought myself to ever even trying long term after a very brief 30lt on empty tank session...... it was so farking horrible in my test I immediately went and topped off the tank with 98 oct then ran it totally dry and stuck with real petrol from then on it.

In my experience the consumption was much higher, the performance far worse. The car just did not feel right at all....... I even peeled the sticker of the inside of the fuel lid and printed up my own "NO ETHANOL ALLOWED!" :)

I went a re red my own thread and 95 oct was the one that performed the best all round, I am coming up to the one year point to the day and will repeat my test but with the now 15,000km extra covered again using 95 oct fuel and will post up the results.

well i've just finished a tank of vortex 98 and i couldn't notice any change from 95. So i will just stick to 95 from now on.

I am too nervous to try ethanol after all the bad stories so will avoid that like the plague.

• 3 months later...

I am new to all this so I may be incorrect, however from reading about different types of fuels and how they work, the higher the RON number, the more "anti-knock" they are (in other terms, the more they resist early combustion under compression - typical from engines that have their compression tweaked to maximise performance).

Albeit 98 RON fuel may be cleaner and have further additives, however to get more power from an engine, more air needs to be added into the mixture, which will in-turn take in more fuel (keeping the approx. 14:1 ratio - I think it was).

Adding a higher octane-rated petrol will assist with "pinging" in your engine, but won't add any extra power to the equation.

Using 95 RON over 91 may assist a touch in performance as I wonder if 91 RON fuel is too low for the 3.5 V6 engine, which is running a compression ratio of 10.8:1.

If 91 RON is combusting too early then some power will be wasted....whereas 95 RON may not lose any power and therefore give "percieved" extra power and certainly better fuel economy.

98 RON may just be overkill as it won't really add any extra benefit (which reading many of the posts above, seems to be the case).

If I am incorrect in any of this, please feel free to correct me.

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Tried and tested them all V-POWER works for me and produced the best output power seen on the Dyno from a Stock Forester XT. 133KW@THE WHEELS

The Kluger is what ever they wife puts in...its funny e10 even seems ok in it even though I would not recommend it long term