Port And Polish?

Lupetto

porting the intake/exhaust manifolds will match the bore of the passages in the manifold to the bore of the passages in the cylinder head. polishing is just smoothing out the inside of the passages to get rid of bumps, etc. to create a smoother flow of gases.

i've heard others say that a good port and polish will cost around the $800 mark and get you around 15-20kw+. but i think a port and polish is by far the best bang for your buck mod you could ever do.

i'm still waiting for mr rudd's bonus to do mine :D

porting the intake/exhaust manifolds will match the bore of the passages in the manifold to the bore of the passages in the cylinder head. polishing is just smoothing out the inside of the passages to get rid of bumps, etc. to create a smoother flow of gases.

i've heard others say that a good port and polish will cost around the $800 mark and get you around 15-20kw+. but i think a port and polish is by far the best bang for your buck mod you could ever do.

Doubt it. Lucky to get 5kw just from a port and polish alone, it does help immensely when you start running aggressive cam profiles though.

Doubt it. Lucky to get 5kw just from a port and polish alone, it does help immensely when you start running aggressive cam profiles though.

then again, that figure was from my brother in-laws ss commodore. probably be a bit different for a camry! :P

port/polish only gives significant results if there is a significant restriction/problem there in the first place. Some cars react better to it than others because they have such a crappy manifold to start with, others with a better quality manifold from the factory will benefit less.

Any of you mechanic blokes on here...

What kinda gains would you expect from a 3VZ and a 1MZ in your estimated opinions?

We need a Guinea Pig car!

Basically none. They are a late model car with well designed manifolds/heads, unless you start talking big cams, o/s valves, etc I don't think you'd see any real gains whatsoever.

you wont get any real HP gains unless you run a different cam profile.

the advantages come from efficiency in the cyclinder head.

porting and polishing should also include neatening on the combustion chamber in order to reduce any hotspots which dont allow the fuel to burn at an even rate.

another good mod to do while you have the head at the P&Per is to get your valve seats cleaned up and and a 5 angle grind on the valves can help the flow through the intake/exhaust.

I was actually debating this last night about leaving the car NA tuned to compete against Vtech Engines. I have faith in the VVT-i ide rather leave it NA

so i can get stage 2 cams from us

new valves from us

Also new raised gasket or header (i think ive got it wrong here but it helps lower the compresion ration? right? and i dont want that if its NA i need to raise the compretion ratio correct?)

then do a port and polish and i should be looking at a large HP gain.

once again correct me if im wrong as im still noob when it comes to these engines

I was actually debating this last night about leaving the car NA tuned to compete against Vtech Engines. I have faith in the VVT-i ide rather leave it NA

so i can get stage 2 cams from us

new valves from us

Also new raised gasket or header (i think ive got it wrong here but it helps lower the compresion ration? right? and i dont want that if its NA i need to raise the compretion ratio correct?)

then do a port and polish and i should be looking at a large HP gain.

once again correct me if im wrong as im still noob when it comes to these engines

you want to increase the compression on a NA engine.

thinner gaskets are the way to go, but get metal.

get your cams and port and polish done by someone who know what they are doing in regard to your engine. Theres no point just going out and getting the head flowing ridulously well if theres not enough air/fuel passing through it to keep the gas velocities high.

my advice... would be to go to somone who knows cylinder head porting, and ask as many questions as you can.... and dont be scared to ask them noob questions.. its the best way to learn.

if you want to ask somone over the phone about it.... speak to my mate Peter at Head 2 Head (03) 9551 9083‎, he's a dead set champ and loves to chat... so make sure your comfy.

tell him what you want to achieve, and then ask him for his advice on how you should go about getting there.