TRD dilemma

stoopid technology....

the wildfire red 3500S has had one owner 16000 km is in a Holden yard (dammit) and is a ridiculous $32900.00.

the ink 3500S is straight from factory (owned by toyota) 11000 km in a toyota yard $35900.00

after my key incident i'm looking for a "normal setup" (it scared me) so i thought why not just make my loan repayments go a year longer and step up to the TRD. Can't justify (afford) the 3500SL cheapest one i've seen over here was still $43900.00. SO the question is given that my car is around the 27-28k mark as tradein, is losing the parking sensors and the climate control and the keyless entry plus the extra 5 or so grand worth a supercharger....

and i just can't make a decision. I could easily just spend a couple of grand on mods for my ZR but if i get the TRD will i still want to:

upgrade and modify exhaust

change to SRI

and strut and sway bar

stoopid technology....

the wildfire red 3500S has had one owner 16000 km is in a Holden yard (dammit) and is a ridiculous $32900.00.

the ink 3500S is straight from factory (owned by toyota) 11000 km in a toyota yard $35900.00

after my key incident i'm looking for a "normal setup" (it scared me) so i thought why not just make my loan repayments go a year longer and step up to the TRD. Can't justify (afford) the 3500SL cheapest one i've seen over here was still $43900.00. SO the question is given that my car is around the 27-28k mark as tradein, is losing the parking sensors and the climate control and the keyless entry plus the extra 5 or so grand worth a supercharger....

and i just can't make a decision. I could easily just spend a couple of grand on mods for my ZR but if i get the TRD will i still want to:

change to SRI

and strut and sway bar

with finance i think the spec level of the car is immaterial. you should be asking yourself is it worth the minus equity?

because i can tell you now, you most likely wont get 27-28k as a trade in. say hello to the 20-23k region

when you trade your car in, that credit will be taken off your current loan contract. you will then be charged a debt discharge fee, which is calculated as a percentage of your loan repayment, multiplied by the remaining terms on your loan for every $1000 to discharge, which may work out to be around the $1000 mark to discharge a $30000 loan or thereabouts.

then on the new loan contract you will still be paying the shortfall from the previous loan, plus the purchase price of the new vehicle, plus admin and establishment fees, plus dealer delivery, and statutory charges and all the other on road costs. and to top it all off, you will have a higher interest rate because of a decreased credit rating which means you will be paying interest on top of the interest and shortfall from the previous loan as well as the vehicle purchase price.

so to sum it all up, for a $33000 car you will be paying approximately the same rate as you would for a $43000 car with a higher interest rate.

i wouldnt recommend it, but at the end of the day it is your money. ideally, wait till you pay off your interest and eliminate any potential shortfall which would be around the 1.5 year mark after loan inception, and then you wont be in a worse off position if you were to stumble across another sexy car. you might be a similar position you are in now with your current contract, with similar repayments, with a better car and less debt.

Edited by lateralus

stoopid technology....

change to SRI

and strut and sway bar

with finance i think the spec level of the car is immaterial. you should be asking yourself is it worth the minus equity?

because i can tell you now, you most likely wont get 27-28k as a trade in. say hello to the 20-23k region

when you trade your car in, that credit will be taken off your current loan contract. you will then be charged a debt discharge fee, which is calculated as a percentage of your loan repayment, multiplied by the remaining terms on your loan for every $1000 to discharge, which may work out to be around the $1000 mark. then on the new loan contract you will still be paying the shortfall from the previous loan, plus the purchase price of the new vehicle, plus admin and establishment fees, plus dealer delivery, and statutory charges and all the other on road costs. and to top it all off, you will have a higher interest rate because of a decreased credit rating which means you will be paying interest on top of the interest and shortfall from the previous loan as well as the vehicle purchase price.

so to sum it all up, for a $33000 you will be paying approximately the same rate as you would for a $43000 with a higher interest rate.

i wouldnt recommend it, but at the end of the day it is your money. ideally, wait till you pay off your interest and eliminate any potential shortfall which would be around the 1.5 year mark after loan inception, and then you wont be in a worse off position if you were to stumble across another sexy car. you might be a similar position you are in now with your current contract, with similar repayments, with a better car and less debt.

yeh you'd be paying alot more... apart from other features its only an extra 40kw

• 2 weeks later...

after spending a great week on holidays in almost sunny broome i made a decision. It is silly to have a decent amount of savings and a car loan so reduced the savings which reduced the loan and went shopping for a TRD. MY current loan is now less than the worst trade in igure i was offered ($25000). SO as far as repayments etc go this is no longer an issue and will not affect my final decision. I visited 5 yards in Perth and spent over 7 hours looking at what is available in perth with the following results

wildfire red 3500S: saw 2 of these one at 32900 and one at 34996.

ink 3500SL: again saw 2 of these 42990 and 43990. the $43990 is fully optioned

silver 3500SL: one of these 40990.

the most kilometres was just over 30,00 km with the least km being 16000 km ish. i played pick the price with a couple of the dealers and the best deal without signing an OTP for the 3500SL is $11000 more than the best offer for the 3500S.

I must be honest i am not a fan of the red leather and red suede in the 3500S nor am i fan of the three big aircon knobs. I've had keyless entry and front and rear sensors for 15 months and i can live without it.

Wy am i writing all of this.... i just want some one to help justify the extra ten grand for leather seats and climate control...

Do i really want to go through the hassle of swapping my aftermarket sat nav over if i bought a 3500SL with factory sat nav and what would an aftermarket moon roof cost?

I must be honest i am not a fan of the red leather and red suede in the 3500S nor am i fan of the three big aircon knobs. I've had keyless entry and front and rear sensors for 15 months and i can live without it.

Wy am i writing all of this.... i just want some one to help justify the extra ten grand for leather seats and climate control...

Do i really want to go through the hassle of swapping my aftermarket sat nav over if i bought a 3500SL with factory sat nav and what would an aftermarket moon roof cost?

is it really worth it? yeh the TRD is a great car but i think if u spent that money and got a trd which has got everythin that u have + leather (which u dont like) and a supercharger that doesnt make it a great deal faster, i think after a wile u would get over it after having pretty much the same car now and u spend 10 extra grand. and unlike we all thought the trd ISNT holding its value =S

thats my input mate but its really your descision. did u take one for a drive?

its up to you if you can justify the extra 10k for the added options...

when i was looking, that red interior was NOT an option for me... it was way too 'boy racer' for me, so i decided my only option would be the SL...

oh and in terms of the sun roof... it may just be me, but i'd NEVER and i repeat NEVER add an aftermarket sun roof in any of my cars... the extra costs and headaches involved are just not worth it...

plus all the ones i've seen are cheap and dont look good...

My car is now listed in the for sale section of this forum with a link to carsales like this one my ZR6 with any luck it'll sell and i'll buy a 3500SL just can't see me buying anything with suede seats...