1MZ-FE AFM

addy287

Hey guys, I'm still kinda new to the website and I just wanted to ask a simple question.

I have myself a 1998 Camry with a 1MZ-FE v6 engine. i've been looking around the forums and other websites and I am interested in changing the settings of my AFM as I've been told that this will increase/improve throttle repsonse.

I was just wondering if any of the tech people knew where it is to start with and how to mod it, (i heard that you need to rotate the gear wheel three to five teeth counterclockwise)

any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated

Adam

1MZ-FE doesnt have a AFM, they have a MAP sensor. It is located on the intake about 6-12in from the throttle body. (I'm working off memory as i dont have the car with me and i havent had the stock intake for a while now.) It is a little rectangular thing with a plug. Best you can do is fill it up with premium unleaded and the computer will learn to use it. It will make more power with premium and also have less pinging!

[edit] Guessing you kinda have a cold air intake already from the signiture. The next step that I would suggest is a custom Y-Pipe with the front and rear banks join up as the stock setup is restrictive!

Edited by STYLSH

1MZ-FE doesnt have a AFM, they have a MAP sensor. It is located on the intake about 6-12in from the throttle body. (I'm working off memory as i dont have the car with me and i havent had the stock intake for a while now.) It is a little rectangular thing with a plug. Best you can do is fill it up with premium unleaded and the computer will learn to use it. It will make more power with premium and also have less pinging!

[edit] Guessing you kinda have a cold air intake already from the signiture. The next step that I would suggest is a custom Y-Pipe with the front and rear banks join up as the stock setup is restrictive!

thanks for the response, i want more performance from the car without changing the sound of the exhaust, i dont mind the intake noise though... :D

another thing, between the orginal filter box and the throttle bodie the little black box thingy...is that just a resonator connected to the crank breather? or does it actually serve a purpose, cause if that is the case then it is restricting airflow etc....

can i just remove that completely and put a little crankcase breather filter instead of connecting it back to the intake? if that makes sense :huh:

Get $3500, buy a supercharger. thats the only way yout getting decent power. An Intake is not getting you any power. A custom y-pipe may get a little, or the buy the OBX headers and y-pipe on ebay.

Get $3500, buy a supercharger. thats the only way yout getting decent power. An Intake is not getting you any power. A custom y-pipe may get a little, or the buy the OBX headers and y-pipe on ebay.

haha i wish i had that sort of money to spend, but as it is, i have a very small budget....i know that im not going to get that much increase in power, i've done a few things to the intake, and it has made a mild affect on the reponse, however it sounds so much deeper and louder at full throttle.

the resonators on v6 intakes are there for a reason:

1. to quieten the intake sound

2. more importantly, help create intake vacuum

if you remove the intake resonators, you will lose some torque across the rev range, more so below 3k rpm. you will, however, get a slightly deeper engine note under load. apart from that, no power gains to be seen there.

the resonators on v6 intakes are there for a reason:

1. to quieten the intake sound

2. more importantly, help create intake vacuum

if you remove the intake resonators, you will lose some torque across the rev range, more so below 3k rpm. you will, however, get a slightly deeper engine note under load. apart from that, no power gains to be seen there.

Umm, aren't the resonators before the throttle body? In which case, the intake will be at atmospheric pressure? If anything, you want the intake tract before the throttle to be as free of pressure drops as possible. Any vacuum that is present in the inlet tract will always be there regardless of throttle opening, which means at WOT you'll still have slight manifold vacuum, which you don't want.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

not disputing this, but i was told this by my mechanic when dicussing custom making a cai, and resonators came up. so if according to him you lose intake vacuum by removing resonators, and cai have no resonators on them, why the lack of low-end torque with a cai installed?

not disputing this, but i was told this by my mechanic when dicussing custom making a cai, and resonators came up. so if according to him you lose intake vacuum by removing resonators, and cai have no resonators on them, why the lack of low-end torque with a cai installed?

The length of the intake path is most likely what is being affected, a proper factory CAI would be tuned-length (like extractors etc can be "tuned-length" Vacuum which is important is created after the throttle body in the plenum, as long as that vacuum is greater than the inlet vacuum then it doesn't matter, but any vacuum created in the intake tract is going to peg what you can achieve on WOT - if your intake has restrictions which drop it's pressure down to 0.8atm (ie 0.2atm vacuum) then the smallest amount of vacuum you can get in the plenum is 0.2atm (because the inlet will be "sucking" it back out through the throttle), but at WOT you want as little vacuum as possible because you want as much air as possible going into the engine

This is worth reading, it shows you the difference between in-line resonators and T'd resonator as well.

Autospeed article on inlet resonators

thanks guys for ur input into the topic, i decided to give it a go anyway, just to see if it had an affect.

i havn't had a chance yet to do a WOT test, as im currently re-trimming my roof aswell, but at idle and lower rpms it does sound much deeper, and louder. although this is also due to the combination of what i have done to the factory filter box, which i can take photos of if anyone is interested in having a loud intake noise.

i will keep u updated as tomorrow i will give it a run for its money, to see if i can notice a difference at higher revs, more power etc. i did however, notice a humming sound which is a little annoying although u can only here it at idle as the engine noise cancels it out.

another reason for doing this was when i took the resonator off the intake, u could see some of the oil residue that has come from the crank breather tube.... might be a good idea for you guys who r keeping it stock to have a look and maybe a little clean. ;)