12R Engine Oil Filter

The Reverand

I had the same problem when I was trying to do my Stout. Ended up getting help through CMI Toyota on West Tce.

I dunno if the 2R (which my Stout has) and the 12R are the same, but they might be as they are of the same era. Anyway the part number for the 2R is shown in the pic. It's a cartridge as you suggested. You will find it in a very awkward position under the right hand side of the motor as you look from the front of the car. It has a bolt that screws up through the centre of the casing into the block. Make sure you have a bucket under it when you undo it as oil just goes everywhere. It has a spring in it which keeps the tension on so when you are undoing it, it feels like you are getting nowhere.

Once you have replaced the cartridge I suggest being very careful to seat the rubber ring in the channel correctly when you are bolting the casing back up, as this is not as easy as it sounds. I managed to swivel it out a bit as I did up the casing again and when I started the engine I ended up pumping a couple litres of oil straight out onto the concrete. Sensational! :rolleyes:

Anyway hope the pics help, as I say though, the 12R may be different, but I have a feeling it might be the same. I have taken many parts from RT40 engine bays for the Stout. The last photo by the way is looking up from beneath at the bit that the oil filter casing bolts into. Pity it's a crap photo, but gives you an idea of what to expect I guess.

0il02.jpg

0il01.jpg

0il03.jpg

Don't rush out and buy the filter in the pictures. If you have a 12R in your RT40 it is not the original engine and it does not have the same filter as the one in the photo's. 2R engines had three different filter cartridges over the time they were produced. The first was the oval filter, as in the pictures provided. The second was the early round type cartridge. This filter had a central hole the same size as the one in the oval filter. The third and final filter is the late round filter. This filter is the same dimensions as the early round filter but has a larger center hole (the oil system was changed from a partial flow system to a full flow system and the larger shaft was needed to acomodate the increase of oil flow). This later filter was continued on through the 12R's until they changed to a spin on type filter right at the end of their production run (if you are lucky you may have one of these fitted). Because the 12R engine was used in Hilux's, Hiaces and Corona's, this is by far the easiest of the cartridge type filters to track down.

The oval type filter is now only available through Toyota. The early round type filter is now only available through Ryco and the late round is available genuine through Toyota and Ryco. If your engine is definatly a 12R, look at any catalouge for any early 70's toyota with a 12R (Hiace, Hilux or Corona), and you will find the correct cartridge for you car.

If you find you have a 2R, have a look at the filter cartridge housing. If it is oval then it requires the cartridges that are in the photo's that have been posted. If it is round tell me how many bolts attatch the filter housing to the engine block. This is an easy way for me to determin if you have an early round or a late round. An early round has two bolts attatching the housing to the engine block (same as oval housing), and a late round has three bolts (same as 12R so you can order the 12R filter). If you can give me this info I can tell you what filter you need and what part number you are after. It's more than likely you will need the common 12R filter (but the 12R engine first appeared in the 1970 RT80 Corona, Hilux and Hiace).

Whatever cartridge you have make sure it still has the spring that holds the cartridge up against the top of the housing. This provides a proper seal and ensures that oil does not bypass the filter. Half the Corona's I have purchased have had this spring missing and without this spring the filter is useless.

John

although the car is a 1967 model, yes it is definatley a 12R engine, the originally engine was replced some years ago, maybe its best if i pull it out and check and post some photos now that i know that it is a canister type?

although the car is a 1967 model, yes it is definatley a 12R engine, the originally engine was replced some years ago, maybe its best if i pull it out and check and post some photos now that i know that it is a canister type?

Hi,

No, now that you have confirmed that it is a 12R there is only two filters that it could be. The early 12R had the cartridge type filter and the late 12R had the spin on type filter. If yours has the cartridge type filter like you say, the Ryco part number for the filter you are after is R2278P. If your 12R is the latter version and has the spin on type filter the part number is Z68. If you are after a new fuel filter the Ryco part number is R2244P. Cant tell you how many people pay too much for old stock filters off ebay when they are still available new.

Hope this helps

John

• 3 weeks later...

ok i got a 2278P and it doesnt seem right, its the same length as the one thats in it but slightly wider, and the rubber rings that sat on and below the old one, dont exsist on the 2278P, instead it has a rubber bung in the holes at both ends and with these bungs in the bolt doesnt fit through it ? any ideas? Pics attached.

2278P i just purchased is the one on the right (clean sorta lol)

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

ok i got a 2278P and it doesnt seem right, its the same length as the one thats in it but slightly wider, and the rubber rings that sat on and below the old one, dont exsist on the 2278P, instead it has a rubber bung in the holes at both ends and with these bungs in the bolt doesnt fit through it ? any ideas? Pics attached.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Hi,

This filter should be the correct one. The only other round cartridge is the early round, and it has an even smaller hole through it than the filter you have now. Ryco have changed the design slighly and replaced the rubber rings with the bungs you describe. The shaft should be a snug fit through the holes as a proper seal between the shaft and the cartridge needs to be made. The internal spring holds the cartridge up and ensures there is a good seal between the upper bung of the cartridge and the face of the housing where the shaft scews into. I'm at work at the moment and I can't access your pics. I'll have a look tonight when I get home and then get back to you. I'll be able to tell you for sure when I see your photo's

John

Edited by rt26tiara

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Hi,

This filter should be the correct one. The only other round cartridge is the early round, and it has an even smaller hole through it than the filter you have now. Ryco have changed the design slighly and replaced the rubber rings with the bungs you describe. The shaft should be a snug fit through the holes as a proper seal between the shaft and the cartridge needs to be made. The internal spring holds the cartridge up and ensures there is a good seal between the upper bung of the cartridge and the face of the housing where the shaft scews into. I'm at work at the moment and I can't access your pics. I'll have a look tonight when I get home and then get back to you. Ryco used to make the early round type cartridges but have not done so for a number of years now. It may be that you got one of these but even when they did produced them they were a different part number. I'll be able to tell you for sure when I see your photo's

John

Sorry,

I just looked at the Ryco catalouge again. filter 2278P is the early round filter cartridge. The late round filter cartridge is 2293P. The filter you need is Ryco part number 2293P used on 12R engines 69-78.

Sorry that you spent money on my advice. I knew what filter you needed I just typed in the wrong number. That's how it sometimes goes trying to track down the right items for these early Toyota's. I still have not seen your photo's but I am sure that this is the filter that will do the job for you.

The filter you now have is no longer available new as a genuine part so you may be able to get some interest from other Toyota owners.

The oval type filters are only available new genuine.

The 12R filters that you require are available new genuine and as a RYCO product (Part 2293P)

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Hi,

This filter should be the correct one. The only other round cartridge is the early round, and it has an even smaller hole through it than the filter you have now. Ryco have changed the design slighly and replaced the rubber rings with the bungs you describe. The shaft should be a snug fit through the holes as a proper seal between the shaft and the cartridge needs to be made. The internal spring holds the cartridge up and ensures there is a good seal between the upper bung of the cartridge and the face of the housing where the shaft scews into. I'm at work at the moment and I can't access your pics. I'll have a look tonight when I get home and then get back to you. I'll be able to tell you for sure when I see your photo's

John

Sorry,

I just looked at the Ryco catalouge again. filter 2278P is the early round filter cartridge. The late round filter cartridge is 2293P. The filter you need is Ryco part number 2293P used on 12R engines 69-78.

Sorry that you spent money on my advice. I knew what filter you needed I just typed in the wrong number. That's how it sometimes goes trying to track down the right items for these early Toyota's. I still have not seen your photo's but I am sure that this is the filter that will do the job for you.

The filter you now have is no longer available new as a genuine part so you may be able to get some interest from other Toyota owners.

The oval type filters are only available new genuine.

The 12R filters that you require are available new genuine and as a RYCO product (Part 2293P)

Just got home and had a look at your photo's.

As I said, I have accidently given you the part number for the early round filter that was fitted to some 2R's. The correct filter for your car is a Ryco 2293P. You can get a genuine Toyota filter if you want but I'd have to look up the part number for you. Sorry again.

John

• 5 years later...

I am going through the same deal with a 4R and so far got quoted $43 from repco and 24 from autopro and saw them for $27 0n ebay plus $7 freight.

Oils aint oils Sol!!!

Edited by Steve gee