Toyota workshop to service.

Hey guys, Name's Jon from WA and I've been lurking around in this forums for sometime now but I havent opened many threads yet. I drive a pre-FL stivo but now my car is due for the 80,000 kms major service. I drove into New Town Toyotas and they quoted me a whooping $800 bucks to service the car!

Was wondering if its the normal price for a major service because I wasn't expecting the service to be in tht range at all. Anyone could introduce me to another workshop that services our stivos for a cheaper price??

Theres' so many things wrong with my car atm. The stereo stopped working for no apparent reason. I hear funny sounds from my tyres when I brake. Unusual jerking when i tried shifting to 2nd gear and 3rd as well.

Idling problems from my CAI when i first start my car up. A freaking big dent on my rear bumper thats need fixing! not to mention i need new threads. Its scary drifting around in the rainy season.

Yea, I'd rather have someone who knows how to deal with our Toyota stivos. Doing this at a Toyota SC would cost a bomb. Would be great if someone would give me some advice. Cheers!

i charge about $400-$500 for a Major(pending on car,euro's are a bit tricky to quote,most jap & oz cars no probs),were not a dealership but we are a RACV approved workshop and all customers service books are stamped and signed where needed.

80000km service $800 is typical of a dealership,one of the girls in the office bought a used VE comm about 2-3 mths ago and had it serviced (45000km minor) at a Holden dealer the other day,they charged her $450,parts were oil filter/sump plug washer,refilled with oil,the rest was 27 checks and they still forgot to fill her washer fluid and the heater hose on rear of head was weeping red coolant so i tightened up the hose clamp and filled her washer bottle,i suppose my point is they make up all this bullsh!t to confuse the customer and make their invoice look good but as far as i'm concerned it's all a bloody farce.

80000km service with NO TIMING/CAMBELT replacement for $800 is very steep. :angry:

p.s my 2 cents.

I agree with 1st kill .

Try a place like Ultra tune

When i was enguiring about the dearest service coming up toyota told me it was the 80,000 kms and would cost about $400. but i have a corolla sedan auto,

I just had the 60,000 km service including auto transmision oil and filter replaced at Toyota, was $250 plus $160 to have foglights installed with the headlight control switch replaced with one that had a foglight switch included,

Work out what you get for your buck, and then work out what you can do yourself (providing you don't NEED to have a dealers/mechanic service it). I do all the servicing on my car now, costs me around $250 using fairly top quality parts. If clutch or timing belt/chain is included for the $800, then go for it.

one of the girls in the office bought a used VE comm about 2-3 mths ago and had it serviced (45000km minor) at a Holden dealer the other day,they charged her $450,parts were oil filter/sump plug washer,refilled with oil,the rest was 27 checks and they still forgot to fill her washer fluid and the heater hose on rear of head was weeping red coolant so i tightened up the hose clamp and filled her washer bottle

45k on a ve is oil, air and remote battery... :lol: and those heater hose clamps should of been warranty.. their revised to worm drive clamps, as for the washer bottle, their aposlute *rap.. u fill them to the top, yet the air bleeder is located lower than the neck so it weeps out behind the OSF headlight <_< if its not that the washer bottle neck is leaking, which is a common problem...

but yes, $800 for a 80k service without timing belt is expensive...

glad mine is a chain :P

one of the girls in the office bought a used VE comm about 2-3 mths ago and had it serviced (45000km minor) at a Holden dealer the other day,they charged her $450,parts were oil filter/sump plug washer,refilled with oil,the rest was 27 checks and they still forgot to fill her washer fluid and the heater hose on rear of head was weeping red coolant so i tightened up the hose clamp and filled her washer bottle

45k on a ve is oil, air and remote battery... :lol: and those heater hose clamps should of been warranty.. their revised to worm drive clamps, as for the washer bottle, their aposlute *rap.. u fill them to the top, yet the air bleeder is located lower than the neck so it weeps out behind the OSF headlight <_< if its not that the washer bottle neck is leaking, which is a common problem...

but yes, $800 for a 80k service without timing belt is expensive...

glad mine is a chain :P

as i posted the only parts on her invoice were an oil filter & sump plug washer & engine oil thats it,the other 27 things typed on the invoice were listed as CHECKS only.

NO remote battery or air filter (i will check with holden tommorow what parts are recommended on a 45000km svc) were fitted,and i checked her washer bottle today it's still 90% full from when i topped it up so no probs with the bleeder,also checked heater hoses the weeping has stopped clamps are tight dosen't seem to be any more dramas.

p.s i've had a couple of VE come thru the workshop with the probs you mentioned but hers seems to be just a shoddy service,i mean come on the washer bottle & heater hoses(which are common knowledge) after doing 27 checks and $450 invoice,and still they didnt pick these up :( ,if my guys did that more than once they would be looking for a new job.

sounds like your workshop does nothing dodgy which is good to hear :) as for Holden maybe a 1st yr done it lol, their absolutely hopeless...

yeah id chase it up cause a 45 is air filter + remote batt + oil blahblah..

the list of recalls and techlines on these cars are absolutely ridiculous, and apparently they spend $1bil on the design <_<

back to the subject... whats involved on a 80k for 800 bux anyways?????

yeah prolly a 1st year or dealer qualified mech with no brains. ;)

the recall list on these (VE comm) are a joke and fun reading,maybe thats because i own a Toyota and not Ford or Holden anymore :)

80000km PARTS.oil filter & engine oil

air filter

fuel filter

spark plugs( except where 100000km platinums are fitted)

80000km CHECKS.cambelt,wiper blades,all fluid levels,brakes,tyres,exhaust,lights,clutch(mtm)report any oil leaks,and general saftey checkover.

now any of the checks that need repairs or parts replaced would be extra but if none of this is needed how can they justify $800 clams?should be more like $400 maybe max out at about $500

i charge $88 an hour so maybe 2 to 2.5 hrs labour and about $200 in parts comes to about the 400 mark.corolla's are not rolls royces or aston martins so why so exspensive?

yeah prolly a 1st year or dealer qualified mech with no brains. ;)

the recall list on these (VE comm) are a joke and fun reading,maybe thats because i own a Toyota and not Ford or Holden anymore :)

80000km PARTS.oil filter & engine oil

air filter

fuel filter

spark plugs( except where 100000km platinums are fitted)

80000km CHECKS.cambelt,wiper blades,all fluid levels,brakes,tyres,exhaust,lights,clutch(mtm)report any oil leaks,and general saftey checkover.

now any of the checks that need repairs or parts replaced would be extra but if none of this is needed how can they justify $800 clams?should be more like $400 maybe max out at about $500

i charge $88 an hour so maybe 2 to 2.5 hrs labour and about $200 in parts comes to about the 400 mark.corolla's are not rolls royces or aston martins so why so exspensive?

mhm most ppl can do that themselves, its when it comes to timing u throw it theire way... so what Clutch (mtm) ???

yeah i know most people could do it but don't,i can mow my lawns but i don't i pay a guy to do it and have done for years,i suppose its the same for most drivers when it comes to servicing their cars,plus theres all the warranty blah blah blah if ya DIY.