Aftermarket in-car sound

Croozer

Hi guys,

Im close to ordering a new Altitiude and want to upgrade the standard system with a 6 CD / ipod capability / bluetooth function system. Obviously, I can upgrade to the Toyota 6 CD / bluetooth system or go aftermarket which is probably better quality and maybe even a little cheaper.

So, who has installed an aftermarket system and what did you get? Is the aftermarket system compatible with the steering wheel mounted controls? And for those who have gone this far, have you replaced the speakers (what size are they)?

Just trying to get a little info up my sleeve before I head into the dealer to order.

Cheers in advance!

Hi guys,

Im close to ordering a new Altitiude and want to upgrade the standard system with a 6 CD / ipod capability / bluetooth function system. Obviously, I can upgrade to the Toyota 6 CD / bluetooth system or go aftermarket which is probably better quality and maybe even a little cheaper.

So, who has installed an aftermarket system and what did you get? Is the aftermarket system compatible with the steering wheel mounted controls? And for those who have gone this far, have you replaced the speakers (what size are they)?

Just trying to get a little info up my sleeve before I head into the dealer to order.

Cheers in advance!

does the dealer actually have one as i heard that they are not bringing them in any more (some one may correct me on this) but they are still advertising them.

I hope they have one for you as we got ours 2 weeks ago and it was the one of a handful left in melb

Twiggy

Hi guys,

:o Don't order the Toyota unit, its garbage and not particularly cheap. Search through the forum, this has been mentioned a few times. JVC & Kenwood make better units.

:o Don't order the Toyota unit, its garbage and not particularly cheap. Search through the forum, this has been mentioned a few times. JVC & Kenwood make better units.

I agree with 57fritz. The toyota 6cd unit with blue tooth is passable if you just want to play CD's, but the bluetooth is pretty poor and problematic. There is no way I would pay the money for it. If you are just interested in playing CDs, there are many other better aftermarket units availble for much less. For bluetooth make sure the unit is parrot compatible. I'd also check to see if the unit can be upgraded to digital radio as this will be starting up soon.

I'd suggest you post any further queries in the Audio/Video/Electronics part of the TOCAU forum as you're likely to get a much broader range of people responding.

Thanks guys, sorry, hope i didnt double post. Im still learning what's available in this forum. Ill check it out.

As for whether there are any Altitudes left...I hope so! I spoke to the dealer two days ago and she seemed to think there were a few white ones floating around. At the end of the day, if there are no Altitudes left then I will probably get a KX-S...or wait and see if an updated model comes along (hopefully with a six speed gearbox!).

or wait and see if an updated model comes along (hopefully with a six speed gearbox!).

I'm waiting for Toyota to bring the 4WD Blade to Australia. About the size of a Corrola but 4WD with 3.5L engine and 7 speed gearbox! My mother in law has one. Best car I've ever driven.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I suggest going for aftermarket speakers. I've put on some Focals 6.5" component speakers and a 8" sub. Quality work done by Northfield in Brisbane. They blended in the sub box using the same colour scheme as my interior upholstery. Together with 2 Alpine PDX amps, it juz completes the whole lot. Spend a bit of money on quality stuff and its worth it.. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Well I suggest going for aftermarket speakers. I've put on some Focals 6.5" component speakers and a 8" sub. Quality work done by Northfield in Brisbane. They blended in the sub box using the same colour scheme as my interior upholstery. Together with 2 Alpine PDX amps, it juz completes the whole lot. Spend a bit of money on quality stuff and its worth it.. :)

I agree - upgrading the head unit without doing the speakers as well is pointless.