is it safe to jump start my 03 toyota corolla sportivo?

last night while at home i went to grab a cd from the cd player in my car. so ive put the key in to power the decks & took the cd out but left the keys in. so now today, 12hrs later i go to look for my keys and yep theyre still there and now have a flat battery.

if your just gonna reply that this topic has been covered just please dont bother typing it as ive already tried searching for it, im not planning to start a long thread but just want some quick answers. so please to my fellow toyota fanatics your help would be appreciated! thanks

is it safe to jump start my car? or can anyone help me roll start it LOL

yes you can jump start it, connect the negative lead to your engine.

ye thanks. i dont know if this is true or not. but i heard that jump starting the corolla sportivo will ruin the electronics within the car. thats what i heard and thats why i have posted this topic up. is there anyone out there thats jump started their sportivo and had no problems

do we have a proper write-up of how to jump start a car?

would be good to have 1 written up..been hearing alot of stuff like which terminal to put 1st n all..n what to connect where n what to do etc..i dont even know whats true n whats not xD

I've jump-started a sportivo and a few ZZE122's. Electronics are basically identical between the two anyway.

Connect positive lead first, connect negative lead to battery on vehicle providing the power to jump, connect the negative lead at the "being jumped" end to the engine block near the starter.

I've jump-started a sportivo and a few ZZE122's. Electronics are basically identical between the two anyway.

Connect positive lead first, connect negative lead to battery on vehicle providing the power to jump, connect the negative lead at the "being jumped" end to the engine block near the starter.

oh really thanks thats great. if youve done it plenty of times then it shouldnt be a problem to my one.

i just didnt wanna do it coz i heard about it ruining the electronics

Supercheap sell jumper leads that have a capacitor wired between the 2 leads. This is supposed to absorb any spikes that could affect the electronics when you connect. Be sure that the ignition on the car with the flat battery is off when you connect the leads.

Matson battery products do quality jumper leads,ya can get leads for late model vehicles that have surge protectors built in so as to not spike your ECU,i've jumped hundreds of cars (new & old) and never really had a drama,but theres always a first so it pays to be careful esp on ya own car...

I wouldn't let em jump my Aurion without the surge protector leads when i had my audio done,but hey is that me being paranoid or careful i forget which one. ;)

The best way to look at this is to look at it from a basic point of view.

When you jump start a car, essentially you are connecting power from an already started car (most jump-start scenarios), to a car with a flat battery. It's just about the same as getting a brand new battery and putting it in the car that has the flat one. The on-board electronics don't see this any differently.

As long as you clamp the clips on quick enough and don't do it in a fashion that causes sparks everywhere (leads to spikes in the power), you will be fine. The tip to connect the negative to the engine of the car being jump started it to prevent sparks in the vicinity of the battery which can sometimes have some flammable gas floating around it.

ive had to clutch start mine.. lucky for the hill :) i left my lights on, 3 hrs later my alarm went off, it must of thought someone d/c the battery, so the alarm detected it went below a certain voltage and it kept going off.. couldnt turn it off !! i had to jump start it just to turn it off.. wasnt going to chance it and try n start it behing jumped so just clutched it...

Edited by 123R-Prozak

The best way to look at this is to look at it from a basic point of view.

When you jump start a car, essentially you are connecting power from an already started car (most jump-start scenarios), to a car with a flat battery. It's just about the same as getting a brand new battery and putting it in the car that has the flat one. The on-board electronics don't see this any differently.

As long as you clamp the clips on quick enough and don't do it in a fashion that causes sparks everywhere (leads to spikes in the power), you will be fine. The tip to connect the negative to the engine of the car being jump started it to prevent sparks in the vicinity of the battery which can sometimes have some flammable gas floating around it.

Ahhh, you're supposed to connect the leads when both cars are turned off........