Need some help please...

1stKill

Hi all.. :)

If this has been posted about before sorry i couldn't find anything of use to me in the search engine about this..maybe someone can help?

My drama is,on the TOCAU cruise in Mebourne last weekend i was chasing the pack (mainly DJKOR) thru the scenic hills of outer Melb,in doing so i now have a RHF shock/strut that is hissing at me under load,sounds like a snakes in my wheel,i'm pretty sure it's the strut insert leaking. :(

My question is,KYB (and are they the only manufacture at the moment?) make aftermarket shocks/struts to suit (Aurion),and are they a standard replacement shock/strut or set up for for sports/lowered(ie.heavy duty) springs or both?

So,what are my options and i don't really want coilovers?

p.s if anyone has the KYB front & rear part numbers post em up please so i can get my parts guy to check it out for me...

Thanks a bunch.. B)

Hey Lee (hopefully correct spelling). You would think Monroe would at least have a replacement by now, but I guess they don't since it's not listed in their '2010 catalogue'. So far as you've heard, KYB appear to be the only aftermarket shocks available.

On their site they have it listed as 'Excel-G Twin Tube Gas Shock' which is only available for the Aurion SX6 & ZR6. The other grades do not have a replacement on offer. I don't see what harm it would do though to use the equivalent Sportivo shock.

The part numbers are:

Front Left - 339107

Front Right - 339106

Rear Left - 339109

Rear Right - 339108

In terms of whether it is suitable for lowered cars, it doesn't specifically say on their site so it may be best to contact KYB directly. If it's anything like the Monroe shocks in terms of usability, they should have the ability to operate with either Raised/Standard/Lowered heights, but usually only give something like 15mm maximum deviation from standard.

Otherwise you could do what I was looking into earlier and that is hacking up the sealed strut assembly and fitting aftermarket shock cartridges. Bit of a mess that option though.

Hi Mate,

even thought i dont drive an Aurion, i can testify for th quality of the Kayaba Shockers.... I have been putting KYB's in my car for ever, and i have never ever once questioned their integrity.... except for that one time i thought i'd blown the shocker, but it turned out to be CV boot grease.

go the KYB's, and Buy 4 to balance you're car out.

You may notice the car will raise up a little... but i think the ride quality, you will not be dissappointed.

Andy.

Thanks Daryl,and yeah i came up with the same KYB info you did..do ya think ZR6 & SX6 will fit my ATX and is it just the ride stiffness between the 2 models that differs,and do ya reckon i would need to modify these in any way to fit mine? and yep it's Lee..

Hey Andy,thanks for ya comment..

i wonder how much higher it would sit,i could use a little at the front,but just a smidge.

i got no dramas either with KYB used em in the past no probs. :)

and yep will do all 4 at the same time.

Thanks Daryl,and yeah i came up with the same KYB info you did..do ya think ZR6 & SX6 will fit my ATX and is it just the ride stiffness between the 2 models that differs,and do ya reckon i would need to modify these in any way to fit mine?

Judging by the fact that it is only for the Sportivo's, I would say that it is just a difference in ride stiffness since the the AT-X/Prodigy/Presara are softer, and TRD would be different as well.

There would be no difference in fitment between say shocks on the AT-X vs the Sportivo. It's only the ride quality. Maybe the Sportivo shock was more simple for them to replicate.

Thanks Daryl,and yeah i came up with the same KYB info you did..do ya think ZR6 & SX6 will fit my ATX and is it just the ride stiffness between the 2 models that differs,and do ya reckon i would need to modify these in any way to fit mine?

Judging by the fact that it is only for the Sportivo's, I would say that it is just a difference in ride stiffness since the the AT-X/Prodigy/Presara are softer, and TRD would be different as well.

There would be no difference in fitment between say shocks on the AT-X vs the Sportivo. It's only the ride quality. Maybe the Sportivo shock was more simple for them to replicate.

thanks again mate,i might have to bite the bullet and maybe go down the Sportivo path real soon.

p.s dose this mean i can claim Sportivo suspension to my mod list... :P

On their site they have it listed as 'Excel-G Twin Tube Gas Shock' which is only available for the Aurion SX6 & ZR6. The other grades do not have a replacement on offer. I don't see what harm it would do though to use the equivalent Sportivo shock.

The part numbers are:

Front Left - 339107

Front Right - 339106

Rear Left - 339109

Rear Right - 339108

Hi Daryl, what is the cost of these shocks for the car?

Wouldn't have a clue. I'm never really too fussed about enquiring about products I don't plan on getting any time soon. I like to be helpful, but I can also be pretty lazy myself. Best to ring KYB direct.

The part numbers are:

Front Left - 339107

Front Right - 339106

Rear Left - 339109

Rear Right - 339108

I will find out monday from some of my parts suppliers... :unsure:

The part numbers are:

Front Left - 339107

Front Right - 339106

Rear Left - 339109

Rear Right - 339108

I will find out monday from some of my parts suppliers... :unsure:

Thanks Lee.. looks like another nice inclusion on your mod.. your car is amazing with all the things you have done..

I love my softness atm with standard atx shocks and kings lowered springs + 30 series tires. with 40psi tyre presure.

AUR30N

Thanks for the update mate... :unsure:

Got a quote on KYB shocks/struts for the Aurion today...

fronts $104.00ea

rears $104.00ea

bare inmind these are trade prices and may not be available to people without a trade account...so maybe add around 15%-20% more for retail at a guess.

also i checked on the disc rotors today,DBA4000 slotted front & rears (both listed in catalouge) only fronts are available and the rears are not even in production yet,and maybe not likley to be any time soon... :angry:

also i checked on the disc rotors today,DBA4000 slotted front & rears (both listed in catalouge) only fronts are available and the rears are not even in production yet,and maybe not likley to be any time soon... :angry:

I ordered mine at this morning. I only got the front ones (didn't even try enquiring about the rear) as those are the most crucial ones, and like I mentioned to you in Melbourne, my chunky stock rims hide most of it anyways. I can't wait to get them so I can fit it.

I ordered mine at this morning. I only got the front ones (didn't even try enquiring about the rear) as those are the most crucial ones, and like I mentioned to you in Melbourne, my chunky stock rims hide most of it anyways. I can't wait to get them so I can fit it.

I was going to ask you Daryl about new discs actually, because I completely hosed them when we started getting in those twisties in the cruise. :( cant notice the difference when just slightly braking but once you get right in there it shudders something fierce. :S two new front rotors for me i think next. After I pay off what I just bought :) *hugs receipt for a complete Ultra Racing gear stability fitout*

So quickly run this by me... How much of a difference would I be looking at say if I was to replace the standard shocks with KYB stuff? At a guess?

well done mate,you will have to let me know if ya notice much improvment,i'm guessing the way you roll any brake upgrade would be noticable.. :P

i really really wanted rears,mainly to match the fronts as ya can see thru my wheels pretty good,and i was looking forward to seeing both front & rears done... :(

p.s what pads ya going with?

I was going to ask you Daryl about new discs actually, because I completely hosed them when we started getting in those twisties in the cruise. :( cant notice the difference when just slightly braking but once you get right in there it shudders something fierce. :S two new front rotors for me i think next. After I pay off what I just bought :) *hugs receipt for a complete Ultra Racing gear stability fitout*

So quickly run this by me... How much of a difference would I be looking at say if I was to replace the standard shocks with KYB stuff? At a guess?

trade $104 ea

i'm guessing retail $120 ea

plus labour if you don't DIY...

p.s what pads ya going with?

At the moment I've got Bendix General CT's. Because my brakes went in one shot (wear indicator squealing when foot off the brake) thanks to a heavy mountain run, I had to change them in a real hurry before the drive to Melbourne. Once I get my rotors, I'll bed them in with the Bendix that are on there (since you don't bed both pads and rotors at the same time), then I'll most likely swap them for some EBC Redstuff (DP31790C) for a little bit of fun.

Daryl, how did the installation of your rotors goes? manage to get everything done after you got the rotors?

• 1 year later...

Has anyone replaced their shocks/struts yet?

If so, what was the reading on your Odometer?

When is it recommended to replace the shocks/struts?

From the above comments i would assume that it would be about the $600-$700 to supply and fit new struts, compared to $2000 for coilovers, hmmm?

Toyota has quoted:

· Frontshocks - $566 each

· Rearshocks - $599 each

Service Dept estimate at least $900 forthe fitting of the struts, with at least a wheel alignment & balance aswell which would be additional.

Can someone confirm this, thanks.

Edited by u54mot

Toyota has quoted:

· Frontshocks - $566 each

· Rearshocks - $599 each

Service Dept estimate at least $900 forthe fitting of the struts, with at least a wheel alignment & balance aswell which would be additional.

Can someone confirm this, thanks.

I can confirm that its a f**ken ripoff.

Agreed. US Price is around $200 per shock absorber for genuine parts. No matter how you view it, that price is complete rip off.

$3000 for new front and rear STOCK shock's installed - you can get a high performance set of coil overs installed for less