Upgrades for a 1997 MCV20 V6 Camry CSI

Igor

Hi guys,

I have a 1997 MCV20 Toyota Camry V6 CSI and seeing as I am probably going to have the car for a while, I am debating whether or not I should do some upgrades on it. If I leave the engine standard, what sort of upgrades would you suggest on a budget of around $800?

I was thinking of some Whiteline sway bars (front and back), slotted DBA brakes for the front with new brake pads (maybe Bendix for all four wheels) and a Whiteline strut tower bar. How much will this improve the handling of the car?

I'm not sure that I should lower the car because I don't want to scrape on bumps or going up/down driveways etc. - what do you think?

Igor

Whiteline sway bar for the rears is a must! Dont need to do the fronts. I'd also get low springs + shocks combo if you want something harder and not scrap. Mind you my superlows + stock shocks when I had them still left plenty of clearance. (135mm off the ground at the chassis rails under the front doors) At the moment I have coilovers and its sits about 110-115mm off the ground. It does scrap over some badly designed carpark ramp but I can still make it into most driveway abeit a lot slower.

As for brakes, I'd go to the wreckers and see if you can find a set of gen3 camry twin piston calipers as they bolt on to your car. (Only the upper models had them)

I wouldnt bother with the engine unless you are willing to go forced induction.

Whiteline sway bar for the rears is a must! Dont need to do the fronts. I'd also get low springs + shocks combo if you want something harder and not scrap. Mind you my superlows + stock shocks when I had them still left plenty of clearance. (135mm off the ground at the chassis rails under the front doors) At the moment I have coilovers and its sits about 110-115mm off the ground. It does scrap over some badly designed carpark ramp but I can still make it into most driveway abeit a lot slower.

As for brakes, I'd go to the wreckers and see if you can find a set of gen3 camry twin piston calipers as they bolt on to your car. (Only the upper models had them)

I wouldnt bother with the engine unless you are willing to go forced induction.

Okay, that helps. Just a quick one, what brand/type of shocks would you suggest? Because I get the feeling that my suspension is going to need an upgrade soon as it is quite "creaky", although I'm not sure how bad this is.

Igor

Depends on your budget. KYB or even Koni's if you want the extra handling.

Okay, thanks for your help. I had a read on the suspension forum on Auscam and that helped a lot =) So i won't ask you the same questions, lol.

Just a quick one though, if I was to get KYB shocks with King springs, what type of KYB shocks should I get for a comfortable ride quality, but something that is still relatively firm for "enthusiastic driving" through the hills (Premium, Excel-G, Gas-A-Just or AGX)?

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up a old thread.

I have got coilovers and sway bars in my mcv20 . Handles extremely well and the Coilovers are about half the weight of the oem strut unit. Spring rates are 7/5. Plenty of adjustment for camber depending if you want to do a track day or not.... Yellow speed racing. I had to modify the brake

Line mounting for the front struts thats all.....