V6 fuel consumption - city driving

Tigz

Living in sydney - city areas and driving a V6, - turns it into a fuel guzzler....

27.5 litres drove 161.5Km = 5.87Km per litre, => 17 litres / 100K, - that's with a BP 95Ron

I wonder what stats are out there? - do I have a heavy foot on the pedal.... :whistling:

That could be right. I have a 2.4 and the best city driving I get about 8.2 km per litre. But I have had about 6.7Km per litre as well. Yeah in start - stop traffic the RAV seems drink quite a bit. The only thing I've learnt, is to keep my right foot just tapping the accelarator!

Living in sydney - city areas and driving a V6, - turns it into a fuel guzzler....

27.5 litres drove 161.5Km = 5.87Km per litre, => 17 litres / 100K, - that's with a BP 95Ron

I wonder what stats are out there? - do I have a heavy foot on the pedal.... :whistling:

Hi Tigz,

i was wondering about this myself and i have been doing a test for the last month:

Week 1: 12.9 l / 100 km city / suburbs driving - normal unleaded

Week 2: 13.5 l / 100 km city / suburbs driving - premium caltex 95 octane

Week 3: 9.1 l / 100 km drove sydney to canberra highway driving - normal unleaded

Week 3: 9.8 l / 100 km drove canberra to sydney highway driving - E10 unleaded

Week 4: 12.3l / 100 km city / suburbs driving - normal unleaded

Week 5: 12.0 / 100 km city / suburbs driving - caltex premium unleaded 95 octane

I dont know why i got 13.5l in week 2 maybe i drove harder than usual but these are the figure have for the last 5 weeks.

i also found tyre pressure plays a big part in fuel consumption...make sure you have around 36 psi at least.

hope this compares with the rest of you guys, i have a ZR6 model.

cheers

Bruster

Edited by Bruster

I did some checks a few months ago (posted in another thread) - fyi

Just some updated fuel usage figures I calculated on my RAV ZR6 -

91RON:

1. Stop/start city driving: 13.4 litres/100km

2. Motorway: 9.6 litres/100km

95RON:

1. Stop/start city driving: 12.5 litres/100km

2. Motorway: 8.7 litres/100km

I do drive it hard - so I am quite happy with these figures and will continue to use 95RON since the vehicle appears to drive smoother.

Tigz, for a few months after purchasing my ZR6, I drove it extremely hard - screeching off at the lights and accelerating real hard when overtaking - I was seeing figures like yours. The RAV6 will just eat up the gas when driven hard.

Tigz, for a few months after purchasing my ZR6, I drove it extremely hard - screeching off at the lights and accelerating real hard when overtaking - I was seeing figures like yours. The RAV6 will just eat up the gas when driven hard.

-- hmmmm, I'll try to ease on the pedal, and see how it goes - will also check the tyre pressure. I'm not into speeding or any of that - the only thing that ever happens with me that could consume more than normal, - sometimes at traffic lights when starting to move, I step a little more on the gas, and it jumps, then I ease it immediately. - it's a 4 out of 10 times occurrence. But definitely driving so much in the CBD, has too many stops / starts that driving the car is no-fun-at-all. The car doesn't even leave the city to enjoy some driving....

will post some updates over the next month or so,,,to compare if anyone else keeps track of this! It's still a money saver - cheaper than public transport, exclude the parking cost....

• 2 weeks later...

Driving a V6 in Bris Vegas...trying REALLY hard to keep my foot off the throttle...and the tacho BELOW

2000RPM...and I'm still returning 11.68L/100k's over 1500k's (which included 500k's freeway driving)

using Shell V-Power 1 in 4 tankfuls and E-10 the rest of the time... I think that's pretty reasonable for a V6

Wifey's Mazda 3 is getting 10.4L/100k's

Driving a V6 in Bris Vegas...trying REALLY hard to keep my foot off the throttle...and the tacho BELOW

2000RPM...and I'm still returning 11.68L/100k's over 1500k's (which included 500k's freeway driving)

using Shell V-Power 1 in 4 tankfuls and E-10 the rest of the time... I think that's pretty reasonable for a V6

Thats about right stapo - similar to my figures. Correct me if wrong, I think Shell V power is 98RON. Try using a 95RON from BP or CALTEX and see if your figures improve - mine did.

Thats about right stapo - similar to my figures. Correct me if wrong, I think Shell V power is 98RON. Try using a 95RON from BP or CALTEX and see if your figures improve - mine did.

Normally in town I get around 12L/100K's--this is mainly short trips and stop and go traffic. In April I took a road trip and got 8.3L/100K. I can go 684 km's on one tankful and still have plenty of reserve left. Not bad for a V-6!

Oh, and I use the cheap low octane fuel.

Edited by junebug1701

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on stats - so I corrected the way I step on the accelerator - gently - and just tapping keeping the revs less than 2000 generally, that improved economy to 7.30km / litre -> 13.69 litre /100Km. - 10 days ago, I checked the tires pressure, all four were 33psi !!! I adjusted them to 36psi as per Bruster's recommendation, - and that made a good change as well, - now it's upto 8.32Km/litre --> 12.01 litres / 100Km - a statistic that I'm very happy with so far. :clap: Ohh, I also switched to regular unleaded 91Ron - the car lost the punch from BP 95, but at least its economical, and I'm less likely to hit a car while parking B)

Will be going for a drive to Canberra over the weekend - crossing my fingers for better economy on the drive.

A quick update on stats - so I corrected the way I step on the accelerator - gently - and just tapping keeping the revs less than 2000 generally, that improved economy to 7.30km / litre -> 13.69 litre /100Km. - 10 days ago, I checked the tires pressure, all four were 33psi !!! I adjusted them to 36psi as per Bruster's recommendation, - and that made a good change as well, - now it's upto 8.32Km/litre --> 12.01 litres / 100Km - a statistic that I'm very happy with so far. :clap: Ohh, I also switched to regular unleaded 91Ron - the car lost the punch from BP 95, but at least its economical, and I'm less likely to hit a car while parking B)

Will be going for a drive to Canberra over the weekend - crossing my fingers for better economy on the drive.

Thats great news Tigz, how funny im also going to Canberra this weekend... i might just spot you cruising down the highway.

im hoping to crack the 8.9l / 100 km this weekend, that was my best result last Canberra trip.

Thats great news Tigz, how funny im also going to Canberra this weekend... i might just spot you cruising down the highway.

im hoping to crack the 8.9l / 100 km this weekend, that was my best result last Canberra trip.

If you see a silver ZR6 driving with all cars passing by - that'd probably be me! - I'll keep an eye out as well for the other ZR6 on the highway.

I'll post the stats when I get back...

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update -

June

5.87 km / litre 17.04 litre / 100Km -> BP95Ron mostly city driving, 33PSI wheels

6.48 km / litre 15.43 litre / 100Km -> BP95Ron mostly city driving, 33PSI wheels, - tapping the accelerator.

July

7.31 km / litre 13.69 litre / 100Km -> 91Ron mostly city driving, 36PSI wheels, - normal driving.

8.33 km / litre 12.01 litre / 100Km -> 91Ron mostly city driving, 36PSI wheels, - normal driving.

10.11 km / litre 9.89 litre / 100Km -> 91Ron mostly highways, 36PSI wheels, - normal driving.

10.00 km / litre 9.99 litre / 100Km -> 91Ron both, 36PSI wheels, - normal driving.

Finally - a happy driver with its consumption..... B)

Thanks to Bruster :clap: