Ultra Racing Kit Installation

Tofuboi

Hey guys!

After seeing DJKOR's setup of his Aurion SX6 and numerous praise about the Ultra Racing Strut Braces and Rear Sway Bar. I finally got mine delivered on Thursday morning! I decided I would install the upper strut brace myself and while the bolts took a bit of persuasion (and a big torque wrench), they came off and the install of the Strut Brace was easy.

After some test runs and driving my favorite road between one town and my hometown, I must say. The Cornering capabilities of the Aurion have at least trippled just with the top brace! I am really itching to see how both the lower front brace and the new rear sway bar add to the already improved cornering!

I remember DJKOR actually mentioning to me for the rear sway bar, be sure to use the existing Aurion mounts that are there. Well it looks like Ultra Racing have heard the stories of knocking and other noises appearing from using their mounts. They did not even include them! Haha. I do have new bushes though so I'll use those tomorrow when the cars up on the hoist.

I'll put some pictures up tomorrow after it's all done, see how we go! :D

Tell you what though, after seeing Daryl (DJKOR)'s car, there's WAY more I want to do to it now. Hey Daryl, next time you're down you wanna do some work on the Aurion for me? Money involved hahaha. ;) Keep you all posted!

Good stuff Nathan. Once you put all those in though, you're gonna need to get a new set of tires to appreciate the extra stability. If you still got a bit of tread left on your tires at the moment though, it shouldn't be hard to go through it quickly :lol:

Good stuff Nathan. Once you put all those in though, you're gonna need to get a new set of tires to appreciate the extra stability. If you still got a bit of tread left on your tires at the moment though, it shouldn't be hard to go through it quickly :lol:

and once you have done all those and the wheels/tyres....you will then soon find out the stock suspension is not gonna hard enough for you anymore :D

Well I'm over half way on the install of these parts and I must say...

The Lower bar is the most frustrating piece of kit to install! hahaha.

There's two REALLY LARGE bolts that look like they hold a really integral part of the car together, once those are out, they're a pain the get back in with the front brace also attached! But that said, We've got the rear sway bar on and we're working on the lower front brace now. I have forgotten to get pics but oh well.

Will keep posted again!

also zr_nate! I ordered them Monday from the website using Paypal. Emailed the guy right away, got a response next morning saying they would be leaving the warehouse on wednesday, and they actually arrived Thursday (sydney to melb). I was really suprised as he said they would arrive Friday if not Monday. haha.

Edited by Tofuboi

Wow...Is it hard to DIY?

Depends on how you define hard. I reckon as long as you have the tools and patience, it would be simple to DIY.

I've fitted the rear sway bar and front strut bar on my own in my garage, and I'm sure that after a bit of swearing, the front 4-point brace wouldn't be that hard either.

do you have to lift the car up?

are there places DIY people can go to lift the car up professionally for a low cost?

The Cornering capabilities of the Aurion have at least trippled just with the top brace!

by the way what do you mean by trippled?

like steering angle error is reduced by two thirds or something on your favourite bend?

Edited by tekkyy

do you have to lift the car up?

are there places DIY people can go to lift the car up professionally for a low cost?

You can fit both the front strut bar and rear sway bar without having to raise a single wheel... depending on your size. If you aren't small and need extra room, raising the rear up onto jack stands is all you'd need to do to get under there. For the front 4-point brace, I'd definitely say you'd need to raise your car, but only on jack stands at the front.

by the way what do you mean by trippled?

I wouldn't go as far as saying tripled, but I would sure say it's definitely twice as fun.

Yeah I was a smidge overexcited with the triple the performance comment haha.

But definately an improvement! Well worth the money. The limits of the Aurion have definately been extended. Suggest these to any Aurion owner!

Next on the list... DBA Slotted Rotors! :D

I suppose asking a question if it would benefit the AT-X would be a silly question :P

It would benefit any grade of the Aurion, however it obviously won't handle like the Sportivo's do with them installed. The suspension on the Sportivo is slightly different to the AT-X, Presara, etc, and because it rides a little stiffer to start with, the benefits of the Ultra Racing gear can really be taken advantage of.

It's not to say it isn't a good idea to get it, you just can't expect to throw it into the corner in the same way as the Sportivo.

I suppose asking a question if it would benefit the AT-X would be a silly question :P

It would benefit any grade of the Aurion, however it obviously won't handle like the Sportivo's do with them installed. The suspension on the Sportivo is slightly different to the AT-X, Presara, etc, and because it rides a little stiffer to start with, the benefits of the Ultra Racing gear can really be taken advantage of.

It's not to say it isn't a good idea to get it, you just can't expect to throw it into the corner in the same way as the Sportivo.

Go for it o12lando you wont be dissappointed,it's a huge huge improvement prolly more so on the ATX (sorry Daryl this is only what i think) than the Sportivo,my reason is the Sportivo susp is already set stiffer than the ATX and by adding these bars to the ATX it really adds a huge handeling improvement (stiffens it up heaps with lowered springs of course),at least twice as firm as stock(my opinion),i proved this to myself chasing you thru the hills in Melbourne with ease (i was only going bout 70% with no probs) and the only thing that let me down that day were the standard shocks...change them Sportivo shocks/KYB shocks and what differences are left between the Sportivo & my ATX suspension?

p.s hehe i think my tyres might have played their part that day also... B)

And also well done Nathan on the suspension upgrade... :toast:

I know exactly what ya mean't by tripled... :lol: i thought the same when i 1st put em on,the good thing about this Mod is that you do really feel the difference.

Well I found out something after I took the car back home. Our driveway is gravel (unfortunately), and from constantly driving in the same spot the centre of the gravel has risen up a little to create a little mound in the middle of the driveway.

Driving through it, the front 4 point brace sits under everything so it makes the car seem lower at that point, and i heard some rocks go *ting* on it as i drove through there last night. So looks like a resurfacing on the driveay is in order hahaha.

It was rather wet last night so I didn't push too hard, definately an improvement! It's dry again today though, so look out my mountain road. :D

Go for it o12lando you wont be dissappointed,it's a huge huge improvement prolly more so on the ATX (sorry Daryl this is only what i think) than the Sportivo,my reason is the Sportivo susp is already set stiffer than the ATX and by adding these bars to the ATX it really adds a huge handeling improvement (stiffens it up heaps with lowered springs of course),at least twice as firm as stock(my opinion),i proved this to myself chasing you thru the hills in Melbourne with ease (i was only going bout 70% with no probs) and the only thing that let me down that day were the standard shocks...change them Sportivo shocks/KYB shocks and what differences are left between the Sportivo & my ATX suspension?

that's cool I might give it a try oneday :D

that's cool I might give it a try oneday :D

Ron, jump on mine if you want to feel how it feels, I have the front brace and rear sway installed :P

Bugger...

Sounds like my rear sway bar has come loose. I was afraid it would do something like that. Problem is I need to find a way to tighten it up again. I work late shifts all week this week! :o haha.

Also on a completely unrelated note, I had realised my boot has become a lake... The spare tyre well and the right hand pocket where the jack sits has got stagnent water in it. I haven't had to use the spare or jack fo months and only just noticed it tonight when I went to check up on the banging sound. *sigh* Now I need to get THAT looked into. haha not going well for me that's for sure!

How could water possibly get into the boot of such a new car? Surely the seal couldn't be leaking after such a short time... right?

The banging sound - is that a sort of low "thud" you get after a moderate brake, then accelerating again from stand still (ie. at lights)? If so, I have that same sound - and am almost certain it is the fuel tank as it only occurs on a 3/4-full fuel tank. I will get it looked at when I have one of the rear passenger seatbelts replaced under warranty - as the latching mechanism seems to jam and essentially locks people into the seat!

How does the Ultra Racing kit affect the warranty btw? I wouldn't mind looking into something like this, as I do find the handling can get a little sloppy at times - especially around the hills.

How could water possibly get into the boot of such a new car? Surely the seal couldn't be leaking after such a short time... right?

The banging sound - is that a sort of low "thud" you get after a moderate brake, then accelerating again from stand still (ie. at lights)? If so, I have that same sound - and am almost certain it is the fuel tank as it only occurs on a 3/4-full fuel tank. I will get it looked at when I have one of the rear passenger seatbelts replaced under warranty - as the latching mechanism seems to jam and essentially locks people into the seat!

How does the Ultra Racing kit affect the warranty btw? I wouldn't mind looking into something like this, as I do find the handling can get a little sloppy at times - especially around the hills.

I took the car to a mate who works at the same place we were testing Exhausts for the Aurion at, he propped the car up on the hoist and low and behold. The drivers side bolt that holds the rear sway bar up against the back rotor area had come loose and was pretty much on a few threads. Which I was lucky to take it in and get him to tighten it right up. Now the car is fine again!

As for the boot I have no idea! I've rang Toyota today and it's being looked into on Thursday. I am going to print the photos I took with my phone out and show them for reference.

On top of that. I was assured by Toyota that this 'should' not affect the Warranty unless its caused REALLY bad damage to something in the process. But other than that it should be fine.

Bugger...

Sounds like my rear sway bar has come loose. I was afraid it would do something like that. Problem is I need to find a way to tighten it up again. I work late shifts all week this week! :o haha.

Also on a completely unrelated note, I had realised my boot has become a lake... The spare tyre well and the right hand pocket where the jack sits has got stagnent water in it. I haven't had to use the spare or jack fo months and only just noticed it tonight when I went to check up on the banging sound. *sigh* Now I need to get THAT looked into. haha not going well for me that's for sure!

Believe it or not but I have had the same problem, mine mine was on the other opposite side. I needed a huge sponge to soak up all the pool of water.