A few wheel/tire related questions

DJKOR

Okay, so I've got many different thoughts running through my head right now. I don't really know what I should be thinking anymore. I guess the best way to go about this is by listing my thoughts/questions:

1) Does anyone here have any experience with the Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra tires (don't confuse with MA-V1)? I get a mixed bag of reviews about this tire, but one thing seems to always be the same. Everyone says it has excellent wet grip. Okay, so that's a good thing, but what about dry grip?

2) These tires can be had for about $249 per corner in 19 inch size (245/35ZR19). The reason I state this is that I have the possibly of obtaining 19 inch wheels that come wrapped with this tire, for close to the cost of 4 of the tires themselves (this is why it's on my mind; wheels and tires for the cost of tires). If these tires are half decent as well, that means it will cost about $249 per corner every time I need to change them. The overall tire and wheel weight will still remain close to the same since my stock wheels are actually quite heavy, and the new wheels of choice have a less chunky design.

3) At the moment, I have 17 inch wheels wrapped with Potenza Adrenalin's that are in desperate need of a change all round. Now for my tire size (215/55R17), it costs about $235 per tire. Now these tires are grippy alright, but if I was to go for the 19 inch wheels and the 245 wide MA-Z1's, which would most likely be providing me with more grip? Adrenalin's for 19 inch are a little out of the question since they are something like $400-$450 per corner.

4) If the 19 inch idea is fail, then I'm left with my 17 inch wheels. This then brings me to my next thought. As mentioned, my standard tire size is 215/55R17. I have head that I can actually go one step higher and that is to 225/50R17. This will give a bit of a fat tire look as well. Would stepping up to this size probably be beneficial, the same, or worse?

Thanks in advanced.

Steer clear of the Maxxis tyres mate they are sh!t...my mate owns a Yokohama tyre service and they sell Maxxis as there cheap azz option.His head tyre fitter put a set of MA-Z1 on his VY comm 19'',within 2 weeks he had them off his car and was filing an official complaint with the supplier...his verdict was the worst tyre he had ever used,absolute rubbish,bordering on unsafe in some road conditions.

p.s we put em on a customers car (MA-V1) about 6mths ago and he complained also. :( ...remember Daryl as you already know,you get what you pay for(esp. in tyres),and the way you roll i would purchase quality as you only have one life and a very nice car,so protect both to the max not Maxxis... ;)

hey dj

i tossed up the idea of the maxxis for ages, i mean it placed well in the tyre test. over and over, from people that drive on them, short tyre life 10,000kms, was a common trait.

at the end of the day, i paid 150 more in total for adrenalines, and they are excellent.

can i remind you that 19~ rims are a total waste of time for any performance orientated motoring. hell, if your going that big, go 20's, that said i think the maxxis and nankangs are probably equal.

get a nice set of 18's if you want, and some decent rubber, and leave it at that, and then you still got performance.

whitestivo

Okay, so I've got many different thoughts running through my head right now. I don't really know what I should be thinking anymore. I guess the best way to go about this is by listing my thoughts/questions:

1) Does anyone here have any experience with the Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra tires (don't confuse with MA-V1)? I get a mixed bag of reviews about this tire, but one thing seems to always be the same. Everyone says it has excellent wet grip. Okay, so that's a good thing, but what about dry grip?

2) These tires can be had for about $249 per corner in 19 inch size (245/35ZR19). The reason I state this is that I have the possibly of obtaining 19 inch wheels that come wrapped with this tire, for close to the cost of 4 of the tires themselves (this is why it's on my mind; wheels and tires for the cost of tires). If these tires are half decent as well, that means it will cost about $249 per corner every time I need to change them. The overall tire and wheel weight will still remain close to the same since my stock wheels are actually quite heavy, and the new wheels of choice have a less chunky design.

3) At the moment, I have 17 inch wheels wrapped with Potenza Adrenalin's that are in desperate need of a change all round. Now for my tire size (215/55R17), it costs about $235 per tire. Now these tires are grippy alright, but if I was to go for the 19 inch wheels and the 245 wide MA-Z1's, which would most likely be providing me with more grip? Adrenalin's for 19 inch are a little out of the question since they are something like $400-$450 per corner.

4) If the 19 inch idea is fail, then I'm left with my 17 inch wheels. This then brings me to my next thought. As mentioned, my standard tire size is 215/55R17. I have head that I can actually go one step higher and that is to 225/50R17. This will give a bit of a fat tire look as well. Would stepping up to this size probably be beneficial, the same, or worse?

Thanks in advanced.

Hey Daryl, the choice is completely up to you... but i say go with the Adrenalins, you havee already tested them out the the MAX, and they have served you well... Remember that if you choose to go a bigger wheel (19") you would be losing some performance, and also, to replace tires that big would be a killer... Get Adrenlins on the 19"s if you still want grip, but say bye bye to a little bit of performance :P

That's my take ;)

Evo

All good, decision has been made now. I WILL NOT be changing my wheels. I don't know what got into me at the time (having a look at the time of the first post, I think sleepiness would be the answer), but I was thinking that it may have been an alright move. I think it was along the lines of a larger wheel with similar weights to the smaller variety + wider tires = better grip.

I have had some REAL modification plans come into action recently, so this is where my spending is now going towards.

While on the topic of tires though. Since I will be replacing my Adrenalin's real soon, question 4 above still applies:

As mentioned, my standard tire size is 215/55R17. I have head that I can actually go one step higher and that is to 225/50R17. This will give a bit of a fat tire look as well. Would stepping up to this size probably be beneficial, the same, or worse?

All good, decision has been made now. I WILL NOT be changing my wheels. I don't know what got into me at the time (having a look at the time of the first post, I think sleepiness would be the answer), but I was thinking that it may have been an alright move. I think it was along the lines of a larger wheel with similar weights to the smaller variety + wider tires = better grip.

I have had some REAL modification plans come into action recently, so this is where my spending is now going towards.

While on the topic of tires though. Since I will be replacing my Adrenalin's real soon, question 4 above still applies:

As mentioned, my standard tire size is 215/55R17. I have head that I can actually go one step higher and that is to 225/50R17. This will give a bit of a fat tire look as well. Would stepping up to this size probably be beneficial, the same, or worse?

Daryl, you've probably have already checked 1010tyres to check the speedo difference with the different profile, so I won't go into that.

On my stivo I've done what you are thinking of doing. I went from 195/55/r16 (Bridgestone Turanzas ER30) to 205/50/r16 (Toyo Proxes T1R) and it's fine.

I believe its beneficial to to do this as there just a bit less sidewall flex, but you also keep ride comfort (less bumpy compared to 19s). Plus you get that extra little width; so you can give the wheels a bit of camber and keep the contact patch the same size as before.

Just make sure at that profile it has a high enough load rating for your car. Also you'll be less likely to be caught speeding as you'll be going a little slower than indicated on your speedo ;)

Hope that helps,

Andy

Since I've got some time tomorrow, I have booked myself in for a new set of tires. My stock rims are 17x7's and the tire size specified by Toyota is 215/55R17.

I thought I'd take the plunge and upsize it to 225/50R17. Hopefully the fatter look won't have any serious disadvantages. If I get no benefit from this tire size either, I will change back to the original size next time since the difference in price is $45 ($235 vs $280). Should be nice and bedded in for September as well.

Okay, so I got back from getting my new tires. So far in terms of looks, they aren't quite as fat looking as I expected. I guess once I give them time to bed in, I will be able to see whether they perform slightly better.

Before:

dsc03338ou6.jpg

After:

dsc04227n.jpg

dsc04228y.jpg

Well done mate good choice...i loved all those little rubber slugs on my tyres when they were new,it mean't they were nice & new,there all gone now (sighs).

I know one thing now,you will be harder to catch/follow on a mountain run. ;) looking at the pics dosn't seem to much difference between the two,lets hope ya can feel the difference in grip when pushing it.