TRD pistons

Is changing to aftermarket TRD pistons worth it ?

What else do u need to reinforce or mod to get the most out of them ?

Cheers for the help.

I'd rather go the Mahle 12.3:1 pistons. Just a bit more streetable i think.

13.0:1 is race fuel territory?

Let's see.. A internal overhaul would go good with the pistons ;) :lol:

Cams, ecu, etc..

Worth it? Not really considering the availability of good aftermarket pistons for cheaper than that. If you want high comp, there's a LOT more than needs to be done.

hrmm fair enuff

wats the best 1st step towards na engine moding ? seems like pistons are at the lower end of the list ...

Power FC ?

Worth it? Not really considering the availability of good aftermarket pistons for cheaper than that. If you want high comp, there's a LOT more than needs to be done.

hrmm fair enuff

wats the best 1st step towards na engine moding ? seems like pistons are at the lower end of the list ...

Power FC ?

do all your bolt ons first i reckon

CAI, rear muffler / exhaust, headers = approx 115-120kw @ wheels.....hitting near 160fly kw then......

then you have your suspesion - diff shocks and springs. sway / strut bars if wanted.

then ofcourse one of the biggest and best is a great set of tyres....makes heaps of difference

and brake upgrades too....and prob heaps of other things i cannot think of at moment

then id go cracking open the engine if you feel the need

and

Edited by jaderd

hrmm fair enuff

Power FC ?

Headers, high flow cat, exhaust, intake, etc is a good start. After that look at aftermarket ECU - PM CHA54 or SuperDave as I believe they have something in the books.

IMO, for most people the extra power that will give you will be worth it. After you've done that I'd look elsewhere before considering more power - better brakes, upgraded suspension, LSD, etc.

i think we were both replying at the same time TRH :)

Yep :P Cypher - where are you located mate?

the western front :P which sucks seeing as most of u pros are over east.

im more interested in getting a unique sleeper - thus mainly engine mods.

guess i'll be looking into CES exhaust system- got varex twin tip 2.5" inlet on the way.

monkeywrenchracing.com is your friend for 2zz or 1zz :toast:

yeah been looking there for cam shaft pistons ect - wat have u done on urs andy ?

Oh nothing internal... yet :P Just bolt ons (I/H/E)

Nah rather look at getting an ecu before going down that path.

Have a look at my ride thread to see what I have done so far.

Be prepared to go big bucks for NA rebuild ;)

Its big bucks NA or FI. FI just yields better gains.

MWR also offer flat faced valves that apparently bump the static compression ratio up 0.7 points.

would the FI route require the same or possibly more reinforcing of internals ?

with a SC costing about 8-9k NA seems a lil cheaper rite ?

interested to hear more on the FI route =]

keep the opinions coming ppl

Its big bucks NA or FI. FI just yields better gains.

MWR also offer flat faced valves that apparently bump the static compression ratio up 0.7 points.

would the FI route require the same or possibly more reinforcing of internals ?

with a SC costing about 8-9k NA seems a lil cheaper rite ?

interested to hear more on the FI route =]

keep the opinions coming ppl

As long as it's tuned right and slightly decomp'd, then you should be able to run close to 10psi on stock internals without too many hassles. You don't need to by the blower kit, you can always custom make something ;)

all i can say mate is what ever u r planning on being ur budget ..... double it and then add some ......

the reason i say that is because not many ppl have cracked a 2zz open and gone through the experience.

i initially started proceeding down the N/A path but it got pointless that u will be building such a high rever in such a heavy car ..... the thing our cars lack is low down torque ....... so for me that was the natural thing to point me to F/I and as has been mentioned bang for buck u can't go past it.

if you want a read / view of what u'd need to do check out my ride thread

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=7291

im still waiting for others to get their 2zz cracked open ..... come on fella's ...........

I'd love to see a Lysholm-blown 2ZZ! Who wants to go first? :P

turbo or supercharger ..... who cares ..... lets just see some more high powered 2zz's out der ........ come on fellas step up to the plate ;)

MWR have a sale on the GReddy SC this month. us$370 off! So us$3,325, and can be optioned up with the PowerFC for a very good price. Shipping on it is us$190, which depending on exchange rate ends up being about au$5000 with the PowerFC.

http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/produc...products_id=600

thanks for the info Superdave! looking into wat i need to do / upgrade to be able to install a s/c .

Seems like things are a little off topic from TRD pistons at the moment :lol:

Going from memory here, but you'll most likely need a custom made radiator since the Corolla radiator is bigger and in a different spot to the Celica's.

This thread will give you all the information on the GReddy SC kit itself http://newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266992

all i can say mate is what ever u r planning on being ur budget ..... double it and then add some ......

the reason i say that is because not many ppl have cracked a 2zz open and gone through the experience.

i initially started proceeding down the N/A path but it got pointless that u will be building such a high rever in such a heavy car ..... the thing our cars lack is low down torque ....... so for me that was the natural thing to point me to F/I and as has been mentioned bang for buck u can't go past it.

if you want a read / view of what u'd need to do check out my ride thread

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=7291

im still waiting for others to get their 2zz cracked open ..... come on fella's ...........

Hey guys

My experience was similar to xoom's in that I started out fully building for NA power. CAI, mahle pistons, piper stage 2 cams, port and polish head, flat face valves, valve springs, titanium retainers etc.

I was satisfied for a while with the cams addressing some of the torque that lacked in the lower revs but i still longed for F/I and that is the route I am going now. Back on topic though a few guys here in Barbados have the trd pistons and they run ok and offer some improvement on the stock ecu but bear in mind I do think we get resonable octane gas here (~93) and with high compression the quality of gas is an issue.

P.S

Cams were my best NA mod in terms of performance parts