Brake Rotor/Pads Upgrade - FYI

I was searching through the forums and thought i'd share this bit of info as I am wanting to upgrade my Brakes along with my suspension.

I read on a thread about getting the Front Rotars upgraded at Disc Brakes Australia (DBA) PART NUMBERS: (only stock front rotors)

DBA 759SL Street Series Slotted Left-Hand

DBA 759SR Street Series Slotted Right-Hand

But, if you want to get the rear ones done as well, have a look at: http://www.nengun.com/dixcel/sd-brake-rotor - they have the slotted brake rotors for the front and back for ZZE123. I'm not sure how much better/worse they are then the ones from DBA, but point is you can buy the rear rotors which will offer better performance than the stock ones.

Cheers.

I was searching through the forums and thought i'd share this bit of info as I am wanting to upgrade my Brakes along with my suspension.

I read on a thread about getting the Front Rotars upgraded at Disc Brakes Australia (DBA) PART NUMBERS: (only stock front rotors)

DBA 759SL Street Series Slotted Left-Hand

DBA 759SR Street Series Slotted Right-Hand

But, if you want to get the rear ones done as well, have a look at: http://www.nengun.com/dixcel/sd-brake-rotor - they have the slotted brake rotors for the front and back for ZZE123. I'm not sure how much better/worse they are then the ones from DBA, but point is you can buy the rear rotors which will offer better performance than the stock ones.

Cheers.

The reason why not many choose to upgrade the rear ones is because

1)They don't do much in these cars

2)The jdm options are fricken expensive.

A set of decent pads is all the rear end needs.

Edit:

Just had a look at the dixcel rotors. Close to $600 shipped to your door just for the rears :o .

Reinforces that they are very dear.

Edited by and1

The reason why not many choose to upgrade the rear ones is because

1)They don't do much in these cars

2)The jdm options are fricken expensive.

A set of decent pads is all the rear end needs.

Yeah, I though that would be the case.

Just a bit of info anyway so we all know our options :)

Thx.

I have updated front and rear dba gold series. they do look nice against the white rims.

I did this after the wrong rotors were sent rears instead of front. and so i was given a very good deal to keep the rear rotors and also install the fronts.

I think paid not much below $800 which included front and rear rotors Dba gold series installed plus also included installation of Brake pads front and rear, wheel alignment and brake fluid. I think it was $400 for the front rotors and they were specially custom made for my corolla sedan. As dba had none available only for 123zz Sportivos. I know they had trouble finding the right ones and sent several rotors up to be fitted until they decided to make them . Hope this helps

post-1136-1246530262_thumb.jpg

as has been stated the rears do hardly any work

its all about the fronts ...... im pushing more than twice the power to the wheels (250kw @ wheels) than a stock sportivo (105kw @ wheels) and all ive had to do with regards to the rears is upgrade the pads n even then all i did was go the TRD pads.

The fronts is a whole other kettle of fish with the big boys needing to come out to pull up the big power

P1270048.jpg

new_brakes_1.jpg

as has been stated the rears do hardly any work

its all about the fronts ...... im pushing more than twice the power to the wheels (250kw @ wheels) than a stock sportivo (105kw @ wheels) and all ive had to do with regards to the rears is upgrade the pads n even then all i did was go the TRD pads.

The fronts is a whole other kettle of fish with the big boys needing to come out to pull up the big power

P1270048.jpg

new_brakes_1.jpg

Nice where did you get that set and how much?

I think paid not much below $800 which included front and rear rotors Dba gold series installed plus also included installation of Brake pads front and rear, wheel alignment and brake fluid. I think it was $400 for the front rotors and they were specially custom made for my corolla sedan. As dba had none available only for 123zz Sportivos. I know they had trouble finding the right ones and sent several rotors up to be fitted until they decided to make them . Hope this helps

Worked with one of the local distributors of DBA here in Vic regarding those. What he was going to do was ask DBA to get some pre-drilled rotor for the ZZT231 celica and drill them for the Corolla Sportivos.

Downside is, we'll need to wait till they manufacter or process the next batch of rotors as drilling holes for them is the final process.

it's not an issue running two sets of stud holes in your brake disc. So you dont have to wait for a batch to be done to get an undrilled set. I've run 5x100 rotors redrilled to 4x100 on a few of my cars now with no issue as have many others.

Nice where did you get that set and how much?

i bought mine from MWR with a whole heap of other parts so i dont remember the exact price

either way a quick google search renders a whole heap of results

here is just one of them

http://www.street-power.com/rotomafrbigb.html

it's not an issue running two sets of stud holes in your brake disc. So you dont have to wait for a batch to be done to get an undrilled set. I've run 5x100 rotors redrilled to 4x100 on a few of my cars now with no issue as have many others.

I know its not an issue mechanically as many others have done it before.

Its more for "legality" as redrilling rotors isn't "approved or legal" i was told. :)

Its more for "legality" as redrilling rotors isn't "approved or legal" i was told. :)

AFAIK, I believe brake 'upgrades' (not just slotted rotors, I mean bigger rotors and calipers) should be mod plated. If it's done by an engineering place, I can't see any issue with it legal-wise.

Now, I don't recommend doing what a customer recently did - went to convert his S13 to 5 stud by drilling rotors AND hubs.... at home... with a hand drill.... :huh:

My redrilled upgraded brakes are legal. They were engineered in NSW and are now also mod-plated in QLD.

Exactly, upgrading your brake size isn't legal either.

Unless it's engineered as such in NSW and Vic or mod plated in Qld.

It's perfectly legal to redrill rotors to 4x100, as long as you follow the rules and get an engineer to sign it off.