KX-S or Grande, which things can be done aftermarket?

ivory_kitten

Hi everyone, I am new here, have been reading a lot of your posts and you all sound very knowledgeable!

Hubby and I are looking at trading in our Nissan Maxima and getting ourselves in to a Kluger.

What are the main extra features that Grande has that KX-S doesn't and which ones can be done aftermarket (like Sat Nav system)

We want to get the tow pack, roof racks and nudge bar (hubby reckons aftermarket nudge bar would be better/stronger?)

I am thinking KX-S because it's cheaper ;) and I have read other posts and think it would be money better spent on an aftermarket nav system (really like the look of the Pioneer ones). We definitely want the leather seats as we have those now in our Maxima and they are very easy care.

While I like some of the features of Grande, like the auto open boot, auto-on headlights and the smart entry thing, I really dislike the woodgrain trim in Grande though, so would things like this be able to be added to a KX-S?

The other consideration is that Kluger does not come in Diesel, does anyone know if this is going to change any time soon? Hubby is keen on diesel, me I don't really get the difference

Thanks,

Elle

Depends a lot on your financial position and the value you place on the extra features that the Grande has. If you have the money then go for the Grande! It has everything you could ever want. If all you dislike is the wood grain trim in the Grande then I'm sure the dealer could do something about it.

I went through a similar process recently, and although I would love the Grande I decided to pocket the 10k-ish difference and leave it on my (very sizable) mortgage. For me, the main feature from the Grande I wanted was the roof mounted DVD player (for the kid). However, this can be easily fitted aftermarket and if you search through the forums there is a KX-S which has an aftermarket roof mounted DVD which looks fantastic. However, if you value the auto boot, auto headlights and smart entry I think you are better off getting the Grande as I would be nervous about getting this fitted aftermarket (just my opinion).

Edited by jaenschw

hmm i will ask and see, i like the fancy features but not the woodgrain and i would much rather put my own sat nav system in

this is going to be a business purchase so the vehicle cost and interest payments will be tax deductible :)

hmm i will ask and see, i like the fancy features but not the woodgrain and i would much rather put my own sat nav system in

this is going to be a business purchase so the vehicle cost and interest payments will be tax deductible :)

Go the Grande, you will regret it forever if you don't. I agree the wood grain isn't the best but it does set it apart and you get used to it very quickly. A friend just bought a new Landcruiser and already regrets not going top of the range.

The tax man will help payfor it, go on spoil yourself, you deserve it...

The only things the I wanted from the Grande was the smart key and seat/mirror memory (has mirror memory doesn't it?). Auto headlights would be handy too but I'm sure I could get them after market pretty cheaply if I ever really wanted them. Anyone know if you can get seat and mirror memory installed on the KX-S?

The Grande does not have seat memory or mirror either, with my dauthger now on her L plates we have three drivers and seat memory at least would be helpful. (Had mine over a year maybe they have it now??)

Keyless is great, back door helpful at times (has a noisy beeping which makes sure you only use it when you need it.) Kids love the dvd, I tend to turn lights on before auto though, I find leather seats very comfortable, haven't used down hill assist, or snow buttons yet,

When looking for a new car I wanted diesel as well, but the 3.5l is very poweful and really much beter than I expected on fuel.

Edited by Glug

i think i would be happier with petrol, diesel is WAY more expensive here, we can get the 10% ethanol blend premium which is 2c cheaper than regular unleaded, whereas diesel is about the same cost as premium so like 5c more than regular unleaded

I've seen instructions for the following items after market.

Auto-dimming mirror.

This has been fitted after market to the US models and instructions are available at http://mojavetrail.webng.com/AutoDimMirror.pdf. Not sure whether the Australian models are prewired. Given the dark tint to rear window on the Kluger I've never found that I've been dazzled by headlights in the reart view mirror. Some comments from someone with a Grande on the mirror performance would be good. Further information on the mirror can be found in the topic Auto dimming mirror.

Rear DVD Player.

I had an Alpine PKG-RSE2 installed into my KX-S and it is great. In my opinion the Alpine is much better than the factory unit as it is slimmer and doesn't block the rear view mirror as much. Pictures of the player in my vehicle are in the thread Close to getting my first Kluger. If all you want from the Grande is the rear DVD player, then spend $1600 on getting the Alpine installed rather than an extra $10k on the Grande.

In Dash Sat/Nav.

The factory sat/nav is pretty limited in functionality and there are far better units around. Again if all you want from the Grande is a in-dash Sat/Nav, go after market as for $2000-$3000 you could get a much better unit. I would also argue the portable units offer better features and value for money, but then it depends on what your preference is. Threads dealing with Sat/Nav include:

Toyota Genuine Sat Nav, Is it worth it ?

DVD player with 7" Screen Installed.

AVICHD3

DIY Radio and Subwoofer Install in 2009 Toyota Highlander (From Toyota Nation Forums

Which GPS is worth the value?

Auto Head Lights

I haven't seen any threads confirming whether it is possible to install this after market. It may be as simple as replacing the indicator stalk as the sensor comes in the KX-S.

Moon Roof

In theory it may be possible to install this after-market, but would probably be very expensive and create a lot of corrosion and structural issues.

Power Tail Gate

This is the only feature of the Grande that I would like to have in my KX-S, however I believe this can't be installed aftermarket or would be prohibitively expensive (see http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286413). The Kluger's tail gate can be quite heavy and a couple of times when I've had shoulder problems it has been hard to close. It is also a little too high and heavy for the kids to close (aged 6 & 8), which means if I drop them off at school I need to get out of the car and close the tail gate after they've got their bags out.

Smart Key

In theory this could probably be installed in the KX-S, but would require a lot of work. I haven't seen any threads confirming whether it can be done. I've never owned a car with smart key so I can't comment on how it performs.

Something to keep in mind when comparing an after market upgraded KX-S against a Grande, is that the resale value of the Grande will always be higher simply because of the badge. I don't think too many upgrades will increase the resale value of a KX-S against an otherwise identical unmodified KX-S. This may or may not be important to you.

Personally I went for the KX-S instead of the Grande as it was $10K cheaper, and for a little bit more I could install the extra features I wanted.

i think i would be happier with petrol, diesel is WAY more expensive here, we can get the 10% ethanol blend premium which is 2c cheaper than regular unleaded, whereas diesel is about the same cost as premium so like 5c more than regular unleaded

Do your Kluger a favour and don't use E10. While it is slightly cheaper, the fuel economy isn't as good. See the following topics:

FASTER THAN R50 V10 TWIN TURBO VW TOE RAG!!!

ultimate vs vortex

I'd like to know where you get premium or diesel for only 5c more than regular. Price gap is around 10-15c here in Brisbane.

Edited by Kesawi

Smart Key

In theory this could probably be installed in the KX-S, but would require a lot of work. I haven't seen any threads confirming whether it can be done. I've never owned a car with smart key so I can't comment on how it performs.

This is still pretty new stuff, at least in Australia. I think there will be some viable after market opitons for our KX-S in the next couple years. It's more for my wife who would find it very convenient not having to rummage through her hand bag for the keys all the time. IMO Smart Key is the most appealing feature of the Grande. That and seat/mirror memmory. I thought the Grande had 2 seat memmories when I was looking at them. The seat position should automatically change depending on which of the two keys you use to open the car. With the electric seats and mirrors already in there you'd think it wouldn't be too hard to add the logic for memory.

This is still pretty new stuff, at least in Australia. I think there will be some viable after market opitons for our KX-S in the next couple years. It's more for my wife who would find it very convenient not having to rummage through her hand bag for the keys all the time. IMO Smart Key is the most appealing feature of the Grande. That and seat/mirror memmory. I thought the Grande had 2 seat memmories when I was looking at them. The seat position should automatically change depending on which of the two keys you use to open the car. With the electric seats and mirrors already in there you'd think it wouldn't be too hard to add the logic for memory.

Smart key is nice from that perspective. Also, I guess there would be a reduced risk of locking the keys in the car. There would also not be the annoying alarm when you leave the keys in the ignition while the door is open. A real pain when I'm working on the interior and want to listen to the radio.

I don't think the Grande has seat memory as neither the manual or marketing info mentions it. Would be great if it could be installed aftermarket, as the power seats are really not complete without it.

We went with the kxs as we didnt like the following on the grande

1. FAKE woodgrain trim(they said i could take it off and paint it!?!?!?!

2. The dvd is great, but since when it is being used, i could not utilise the rear vision mirror, i opt to keep out $400 headrest dvd screens, which we only use on long trips.

3. They dont have memory seats. for this u need to go for the calais sportswagon, which was the other car we were considering. but alot less space.

4. If you really want satnav(which all the ones ive used are ****) you can spend up to $2000 and get built in digital tv as well, so save the $8k and do that?

5. the factory nudge bar is fantastic looking(with a good set of spotties), you dont want one that isnt toyota approved as it may well stop your airbag sensors working and hence not deply in a serious crash, if you have a non factory nudge bar, also a heavier duty one may also be much heavier in weight and hence, may affect your cars weight balance..

I'd like to know where you get premium or diesel for only 5c more than regular. Price gap is around 10-15c here in Brisbane.

We are in Darwin, I guess it could be more than that, I can't say I actually pay that much attention to the other fuel prices :blink:

I did fill up DH's cruiser the other day and I'm pretty sure it was only 5c dearer than reg unleaded

I bet your fuel is still cheaper than ours though!!

And thanks for your detailed post up above! You answered everything very thoroughly :)

Edited by ivory_kitten

I don't think the Grande has seat memory as neither the manual or marketing info mentions it. Would be great if it could be installed aftermarket, as the power seats are really not complete without it.

I seem to remember the dealer telling me it did have memory, controled by which ever key opened the car. Typical wrong advice given by dumb car salesman. Most car salesman seem to have NFI about the products they sell. In that case I'm really glad I didn't waste the money on a Grande.

Electric seats in the KX-S/Grande are a liability without the memory logic. They are so slow to adjust that I'd rather just have the manual seats.

So about the only thing I'd want from the Grande is the smart key. Hopefully Smart-key will be standard in all cars sold in Australia withing 2 or 3 years. As of last year ALL Nissans sold in Japan have smart-key (or whatever Nissan calls it). It's probably getting difficult to find any car in Japan without it now. That's why I reckon there should be some after market options available pretty soon.

PS

I found this http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_IUI102.html

Looks good and quite a bit cheaper than getting a Grande.

Edited by Colonel

That's why I reckon there should be some after market options available pretty soon.

I wouldn't get your hopes up however (for a keyless ignition). Sure a Smart Entry system would be handy, but you still need to use your key on the ignition.

The one key feature that you need to have on a car that has a keyless ignition is an electronic steering wheel lock. On cars without a keyless ignition, the steering wheel lock is a spring loaded mechanism that is integrated into the key tumbler. Once your key is removed, if you turn your steering wheel, it will eventually lock. Over-riding this without a key is not quite the easiest thing around. It can be done, but it's either pretty messy, or it will disable the lock completely. Had to do that on a keyless ignition project for my Carmy.

The one key feature that you need to have on a car that has a keyless ignition is an electronic steering wheel lock.

How hard/expensive would it be to get the ignition and stearing wheel lock from the Grande fitted to the KX-S?

Might get lucky at the wreckers.

Edited by Colonel

How hard/expensive would it be to get the ignition and stearing wheel lock from the Grande fitted to the KX-S?

Would be pretty easy to do I reckon. You would be changing the entire inside section of the steering column. So long as the wreckers charge what they would for a basic steering column without knowing that it is probably an expensive part.

Could also get lucky and score a working power tail gate :D

We liked everything with the grande but were put off also with the wood grain, which they said had to come like that.

Main reason wanted the grande was for the sunroof & rear dvd.. but then got the altitude which came with both of these ..

Satnav would be nice but I just use my tomtom

Main reason wanted the grande was for the sunroof & rear dvd..

What is it with people that are willing to spend thousands for DVD... in a car? As if kids don't get enough of that kind of crap at home. Why not throw a $150 portable DVD player in the back for kids? TV and DVDs rot kids brains anyway so better off putting some books in the back or maybe a DS for under $200. It probably costs Toyota under $100 to put the DVD in the back of the Altitude. KX-S is better value IMO.

we looked at the altitude too, but we really wanted the leather seats so i think KX-S for us, although now hubby is talking about getting a "real" 4WD like a Prado or Pajero :rolleyes: too many choices!

It can sometimes be worse than no choice at all :)

If you like the features of the altitude, you could always go for aftermarket leather. It's approximately $3500 here in Brisbane for the Kluger.

TV and DVDs rot kids brains anyway so better off putting some books in the back or maybe a DS for under $200.

Mate you been watching too many comercials you really think a DS is much better than tv or dvd ... :rolleyes: