fuse tap

Alfred Q

Hi Guys!

I found out a way to connect my remote to my Aurion AT-X. I would like to utilise an empty switch bay to the right of the steering wheel.

I tried it out today and it works great. Now to make it permanent I would like to hook it into the inside fusebox behind the glovebox, as there is an empty bay available.

To do that I was thinking of using a fuse tap. (unless you guys have a better idea!) - Since DJKOR (Darryl) was kind enough to point me in the right direction I purchased a momentary switch from jaycar and will install insice the blank switch cover. there is plenty of room to fix the remote with a double sided tape and hook it up with a 12 v wire. (plenty of screws around to connect the negative.

Hope that makes sense and Thanks again!

Alfred

I had the exact same plans for when I was going to do mine. Never got around to it since I figured just leaving the remote in the side pocket worked alright in the first place.

I'm not too sure about getting fuse taps here in Australia. To tell you the truth though, I've never tried looking. The only time I heard of them was mentioned on the American Toyota Nation forums.

Do you have fog lights? If not, there is an easier place to tap into on your fuse panel there. You just get a spade terminal and crimp some wire onto this. This will be your positive line. Now you go to the fuse panel and there will be two standard sized horn relays and two micro relays (blue in colour). To the left of these, there will be a blank socket. The second connector up from the bottom has a constant positive. Just plug the spade terminal into here.

I'll fetch a diagram.

DJKOR!!!!!

You are amazing!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I was not even gone for 20 minutes and you are here to help out already!!!!

No, I do not have fog lights....so I will go ahead and do what you recomended!

Would I get a "spade terminal" (no idea what that looks like) in autopro, auto one, Jaycar?

Regards and THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Alfred

I had the exact same plans for when I was going to do mine. Never got around to it since I figured just leaving the remote in the side pocket worked alright in the first place.

I'm not too sure about getting fuse taps here in Australia. To tell you the truth though, I've never tried looking. The only time I heard of them was mentioned on the American Toyota Nation forums.

Do you have fog lights? If not, there is an easier place to tap into on your fuse panel there. You just get a spade terminal and crimp some wire onto this. This will be your positive line. Now you go to the fuse panel and there will be two standard sized horn relays and two micro relays (blue in colour). To the left of these, there will be a blank socket. The second connector up from the bottom has a constant positive. Just plug the spade terminal into here.

I'll fetch a diagram.

Sorry for the delay. Was just about to take photos then I got a call and had to dash out of the house for a second. Anyways, when you look at your fuse panel/distribution block, you will see this:

That empty socket on the far left is where you would usually find your fog light relay. Models without fog lights will have no relay. Mine is missing for photo purposes:

dsc04343p.jpg

Insert spade terminal as shown and you get +12v even when the car is off:

dsc04346.jpg

This is a crimped spade connector (yellow is for the heavier gauge wire):

dsc04349l.jpg

Narva are the main ones I use cause I like them, and you find these at Repco and other automotive places. Otherwise Jaycar have some, but I hate the quality of them.

And there you go. No cutting of the factory harness, easily removed, and fuse protected (fog light fuse).

Sorry for the delay. Was just about to take photos then I got a call and had to dash out of the house for a second. Anyways, when you look at your fuse panel/distribution block, you will see this:

That empty socket on the far left is where you would usually find your fog light relay. Models without fog lights will have no relay. Mine is missing for photo purposes:

dsc04343p.jpg

dsc04346.jpg

dsc04349l.jpg

Narva are the main ones I use cause I like them, and you find these at Repco and other automotive places. Otherwise Jaycar have some, but I hate the quality of them.

And there you go. No cutting of the factory harness, easily removed, and fuse protected (fog light fuse).

Wow!

Darryl you are amazing! Of course I know what a spade terminal is, just did not know the name..(I am Austrian)! I will go ahead and install this now!!!!

Thanks again.................

Alfred

DJKOR you are a Champ!

This worked like a DREAM (besides that I blew a fuse because I am silly!!!!)

It even looks like it belongs to the car!!!

Thanks ONCE AGAIN!!!!!

Alfred

DJKOR you are a Champ!

This worked like a DREAM (besides that I blew a fuse because I am silly!!!!)

It even looks like it belongs to the car!!!

Thanks ONCE AGAIN!!!!!

No worries mate. Glad to have helped. Too bad I don't quite have the same motivation to do mine any time soon.

dsc04343p.jpg

dsc04346.jpg

dsc04349l.jpg

I want to hide a USB charger somewhere under the dash. Would you recommend using this for a USB charger that has been ripped out of a USB cigarette lighter? I'd have to earth it somewhere else as well.

I have an ATX, if I want after market foggies later on will i have to use this empty socket?

I want to hide a USB charger somewhere under the dash. Would you recommend using this for a USB charger that has been ripped out of a USB cigarette lighter? I'd have to earth it somewhere else as well.

I have an ATX, if I want after market foggies later on will i have to use this empty socket?

This method is only really here to save time and hassle so long as you don't have any fog lights and don't plan on putting them in.

I personally would not do it this way, but it's always handy to know where power is available. I would prefer and recommend to get your +12v by either splicing into a +12v rail from somewhere, or by using a wire tap.