turbo for a 96 camry vienta

sikwitit

hey everybody i want to turbo my 96 camry vienta v6 which is a 3vzfe auto i dont want to have to do an engine swap i want to use the standard engine but give it some go. i want to know wat turbo should i use so i dont have to make hugh modifications to the engine i want to achive 160kws at the wheels that is my goal so i want advice on what i should buy parts wise and places that i can buy the parts want to start stock piling parts so when i get of my p's i can do the engine.

sean

Damnit, I needed to grab the panel that covers the fuel filler but it appears you don't have one...

either supercharge your v6 (talk to dave, SupraTouring) or swap for a 5sfe or 3sgte and turbo.

The pain with turbo i routing the exhaust gases to part of the engine bay with enough room to fit the turbo and other assorted lines in the camry. I guess you could probably have a low mount turbo. Tony the Tiger who owns a 550+ hp monster camry said to use a "disco potato" (Garret GT28R). This is a realitively small turbo commonly used in the SR20 motors but with the gases our 3L V6s make it will make full boost nice and low in the rev range.

Damnit, I needed to grab the panel that covers the fuel filler but it appears you don't have one...

either supercharge your v6 (talk to dave, SupraTouring) or swap for a 5sfe or 3sgte and turbo.

Agreed, supercharging makes a LOT more sense on a transverse V6, most turbo V-engines you see are twin-turbo RWD ones - the mess of piping for a single turbo is mind-boggling.

Much better to just have a single supercharger sitting above the middle of the V, no need to worry about exhaust routing then.

There's a guy that I knew that was about to do the conversion... bought the turbo and everything. He had the piping sussed out and everything. LittleDavey83 on Auscam knows a bit about this because he was going to do the turbo swap down the track one day.

The only hiccup I can see you having is custom mounting the FMIC and getting the turbo in. The custom piping will be an interesting install too. I think you'll have to move the battery to the boot to make enough room for the turbo and all that.

If you can find a 3SGTE and get that rebuilt, you might find that to be more straight forward and maybe cheaper? They go fkin quick! Been in 2 x 3SGTE Camrys and they go like a rocket! hahaha

hey thanks everybody seems like way to much work to put on a turbo might have to have a look in to getting a supercharger would a trd supercharger fit on a 3vzfe if not which supercharger would u recomend

sean

Adam should be able to point you in the right direction... (that's ASG14).

it's been done before, there shouldn't be too much of a worry otherwise.

You should also check some performance shops... see if there's any centrifugal superchargers that can be fitted to the car. More pricey than the TRD one, but should give more boost...

Adam should be able to point you in the right direction... (that's ASG14).

it's been done before, there shouldn't be too much of a worry otherwise.

You should also check some performance shops... see if there's any centrifugal superchargers that can be fitted to the car. More pricey than the TRD one, but should give more boost...

thanks for that i will send him off a message im going to hi octane racing morrow after work to see which shops they recomend cause they have experience with this sort of stuff

sean

hey everybody went out and started getting prices on parts yesterday my credit car is going to love me once i buy all these goodies.

i am going to start of with buying the gauges and the supercharger from america then all the other parts i need intercooler oil cooler braided hoses upgraded sparkplugs fuel pump etc

was looking at the apexi gauges today they look awsome but cost **** loads does anybody know where i can get the gauges cheaper cause i need boost watertemp oiltemp feul pressure and monster tacho and at 400 bucks a pop its going to cost around 2grand in gauges.

if any body knows where i can get these gauges cheaper please tell me

sean

i have found a trd charger waiting for the guy to get back to me with price to ship

i put the intercooler in by mistake lol just writing up wats going on

i was just asking for cheaper places for those gauges because i like the look of them the apexi gauges look awsome but as i stated above im starting to stock pile parts so when i get of my ps i can start work on the engine

sean

Looks like my mate's Gen 4 3SGTE? How'd you get a pic of that mate? That thing goes well... hehehehe... considering it's not a 96, it's a 98, it's a 2.0L 4 cylinder 3SGTE turbo from a GT4 Celica.

You'll see him on Auscam, his username is GCCL.

Edited by Whip Cracker

NICE! That IS Dan's car... used to be owned by Chris (when these pics were taken), Dan's had it for around 2 years or thereabouts. Goes like a rocket :P

Cheers for the pics - didn't know they existed.

• 1 month later...

There's a guy who dropped a 3VZ into his Celica. Initial plans were to s/c it, but there wasn't enough room to mount the charger + hood clearance. I think you might find the same problem with the Camry as they both share similar engine bays.

He has now decided to go down the path of turbo'ing it.

You should first convert it to a manual transmission, that'll give you something to play with :toast:

Hmmm... if the TRD charger can fit into a Camry on the 1MZs, then they should be able to fit to the 3VZs too... You'd have custom make an adaptor plate onto the engine to mount the M40 TRD charger... I believe someone in the US did this. Someone's made an adaptor plate for the M60 charger, which I think needs a small intercooler... whereas the M40 doesn't need one.