Stainless vs Ceramic

Lupetto

Does any one know the MAIN differenace between a Ceramic header vs a Stainless Steel Header?

Only thing i can think of is that being Ceramic it would stay cooler then Stainless steel.

Any sugestions?

Ceramic ones insulate the heat so the engine bay stays cooler, but i would imagine that the caeramic coating would crack after a while because of the nature of the material. I think in the end the cost difference might help you decide lol

No, but the ones for the Scion TC need modification to fit the Camry, according to TN. Not to mention by the time you paid shipping, it would be cheaper to go custom I should think.

I had custom extractors made for my 1MZ-FE 02 Camry and they cost me $2200. That was for mild steel, Stainless would have been ~$3000 so i didn't bother asking for the price of ceramic. Either way it's going to be expensive.

In retrospect I wish I paid for stainless as I didn't realise that you could see so much, but they work well enough so there aren't any complaints.

I had custom extractors made for my 1MZ-FE 02 Camry and they cost me $2200. That was for mild steel, Stainless would have been ~$3000 so i didn't bother asking for the price of ceramic. Either way it's going to be expensive.

In retrospect I wish I paid for stainless as I didn't realise that you could see so much, but they work well enough so there aren't any complaints.

Wow, u really could have imported for that kinda cash

No, but the ones for the Scion TC need modification to fit the Camry, according to TN. Not to mention by the time you paid shipping, it would be cheaper to go custom I should think.

they shouldnt need modifications to fit, the only thing that might cause an issue is the clearance, but i doupt it. also they cost a tottal of $300 Aus to import from the states.

I could be wrong... and i could be $300 poorer in a few weeks.

However i know that the Turbo manifolds you get in the states will fit the camry.

so headers shouldnt be an issue.

Just like the TC Greedy Emanige kit... Allot of folk say they whont work on the Camry because TC have a slightly diff ECU. thats a load of Bull > I know a mechanic in clare who turbo'd a 04 Camry 2AZ-fe and used the Greedy Emanige to tune his car.

Yeah man, probably; but I wasn't too confident in getting a part shipped in + finding a place to get it fitted.

Besides, supported a local business who was more than happy to help me.

Yeah man, probably; but I wasn't too confident in getting a part shipped in + finding a place to get it fitted.

Besides, supported a local business who was more than happy to help me.

Couldnt agree more with the finding part + fitting supporting local business and trade... if I could find one that was happy to cater my service :whistling:

$2200 for a set of extractors? Wow... I got quoted for around 1k fitted? What's the difference? Obviously different type of material... but shouldn't be THAT much should it?

What were they going to do with regards to the extractors themselves? Making a set or installing a pre-made?

I went to a couple of places and was quoted a few prices.

East Coast Customs were quoting me at around $1200 for extractors including installation but they couldn't source anyone who had extractors pre-made. Ben offered to get back to me on a price for custom extractors but he never contacted me back.

CES Racing right from the word go said they would make a custom one from scratch. Trevor said he'd make the pipes equal in length to ensure it sounds good which meant he was going to need to put in 2/3 mandrel bends in order to do so (it ended up being 2).

Here's a pic of the extractors, prior to installation:

post-14703-1249274666_thumb.jpg

My guess is the pre-made extractors are relatively cheap and more of the cost is the labour to install them, as opposed to the labour/machine cost to make them + install them.

Yeah, I asked "wow, 1k? don't they make off the shelf extractors for these?"... he said No, lol... only the 4 bangers so yeah.

My guess is that they woulda been mandrel bent custom made extractors for my 3VZ, and that was fitted. There shouldn't be any reason why they'd be more expensive.