Green condom

httttt

For lack of a better name (and lack of my electronics education) the little green light that lights the crack in the gear stick area is pictured below.

th_IMAGE_092.jpg

See the green condom? It changes the illumination colour of that little bulb.

The difference in colour if you take it off is pictured below. At the moment I have the condom off as I have always hated the green because nothing else on my dash is green. Does anyone know the name of that really small bulb? It looks like a miniature version of the vanity lights. I want to try blue, red, or white.

th_IMAGE_093.jpg

th_IMAGE_096.jpg

th_IMAGE_094.jpg

th_IMAGE_095.jpg

I know this is an insignificant mod but I had to pull the dash off to remove a section of the dash to draw lines and cut with a dremel to install a scan gauge (which i will post soon..... if i dont fail) so I want it to match in colour at night.

Looks to be just a simple led light cover, they will probably sell those things at the electronics section of Tandy or ***** Smith, it's just a coloured cap. Otherwise you could probably buy a child's toy at a $2 store and you'd have every colour under the rainbow

what ever you do, Dont buy those `condoms :P

just replace them with replacement wide angle LEDs from eBay

if you can take a photo of the bulb up close,

it should be easier to determine which bulb type it is :)

The bulb itself is a T5 bulb. As well, if you want, Narva make red and blue bulb covers, but they are reasonably 'thick' and cut out a fair bit of light. They can be obtained from most auto stores like Repco.

As suggested above though, a wide angle LED replacement would be a MUCH better option.

As above LED may be a better option. Or you could just change the colour of the filter or condom as you call it! Most of the time in lighting, the lamps are the same colour tone its just the colour of the filter which gives the different colours.

I am pretty sure DJ is correct, the light is a T5 wedge.

I got some white ones on ebay dirt cheap and when they get in will post up my travels. Hopefully this will be the last time I remove the dash (it isnt that it is hard, its just I don't want to stress the plastic).

Thanks Everyone.

hopefully, from the photos you posted, the bulb isn't secured to its own socket

the same type socket which are found on the cig lighter in my model Corolla, for which I'm not certain if they're replaceable or not, otherwise a little bit of re-wiring of some sort will do the trick

I've found LEDs to be too directional, and don't give a good enough spread of light, and the effect can end up patchy. This is a bigger problem in the gauges though...

Yeah, LED's do have that disadvantage. You can improve on it slightly though (especially with the T5 bulb replacements) by using an LED like this:

T5-3LED-B2.jpg

That's the ones we used in my sisters Mazda 3 in the A/C controls when we were were changing the dash and surrounding lighting from red to blue LED's.

hopefully, from the photos you posted, the bulb isn't secured to its own socket

the same type socket which are found on the cig lighter in my model Corolla, for which I'm not certain if they're replaceable or not, otherwise a little bit of re-wiring of some sort will do the trick

Nah, the bulb used in the gear shift indicator is just your standard T5 wedge. I replaced mine with a T5 LED replacement the day I stripped my car apart.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the 3 little lights with LED wide spread lights and I am happy with the results.

I know it is borderline meaningless but I like they way it looks now and hated the green.

See the attached pics for the bulb locations.

post-14100-1250672511_thumb.jpg

post-14100-1250672617_thumb.jpg