To Sportivo or not?

I just wanted to ask why did u even bother gettin a R34 TIP TRONIC GT-T in the FIRST PLACE??? LOL!! I wouldve got a manual.. LOL!! Sportivos are HOTT BRO i didnt know about them wen i bought my car n that was about almost 2 yrs AGO... If i knew about them i wouldve got one instead of my ZRE.. I LOVE MY ZRE THOUGH!!!

Manual GT-T R34s cost another $5-10k ontop of a tiptronic model for the same age...

High powered cars like the WRX I'm looking at! Its got a sti turbo, Haltech ECU, 3" TBE and a FMIC (which I didnt particularly want tho - cop magnet) which is putting about 180kw to the ground! Thats goin for about $11,000. And it should have about 9.5L/100km as it has aftermarket engine management. Lack of an ECU is the main reason some wrx owners get such crappy fuel economy. (that and their lead foot)

That's all well and good, but keep in mind, a lightly modded sportivo wont have much trouble keeping up to those higher powered cars, mainly since it is such a small car with so much go :P

And you are forgetting that you wanted a Sportivo in the first place lol :P

Evo

corollas are small but they're also quite heavy!

Just buy the Levin, drive it, save some money and get something else.

If you get a stivo, you'll spend an extra 2k at least on mods for sure :P

High powered cars like the WRX I'm looking at! Its got a sti turbo, Haltech ECU, 3" TBE and a FMIC (which I didnt particularly want tho - cop magnet) which is putting about 180kw to the ground! Thats goin for about $11,000. And it should have about 9.5L/100km as it has aftermarket engine management. Lack of an ECU is the main reason some wrx owners get such crappy fuel economy. (that and their lead foot)

That's all well and good, but keep in mind, a lightly modded sportivo wont have much trouble keeping up to those higher powered cars, mainly since it is such a small car with so much go :P

And you are forgetting that you wanted a Sportivo in the first place lol :P

Evo

corollas are small but they're also quite heavy!

Just buy the Levin, drive it, save some money and get something else.

If you get a stivo, you'll spend an extra 2k at least on mods for sure :P

If he is going to Mod a stivo if he gets one, than chances are he will eventually mod the levin as well - CAI, Exhaust, Headers the list goes on...

If he is going to Mod a stivo if he gets one, than chances are he will eventually mod the levin as well - CAI, Exhaust, Headers the list goes on...

i just read this post

he won't even bother to get an exhaust if he's getting the levin

so.. headers, cai... don't think so..

Edited by XploShun

i just read this post

he won't even bother to get an exhaust if he's getting the levin

so.. headers, cai... don't think so..

What I'm trying to say is this;

If you get a stivo, you'll spend an extra 2k at least on mods for sure

What's it matter if you get a 2zz or a 1zz if you are going to mod it its going to cost similar amounts anyway.

Manual GT-T R34s cost another $5-10k ontop of a tiptronic model for the same age...

SO WOT!!! A TIPTRONIC SKYLINE is GAY!!

I'd buy one over a Corolla Ascent any day.

Back on topic, you just need to really think about what your wants and needs really are. It's a tough decision, but hopefully you will figure it out.

Mate go for an old fashioned test drive of all the cars you are thinking of buying. Makes it easier to decide when you know what you're going to be living with everyday.

forum member here in melb sold his 03 Sportivo with 80000k's for $14.5k..... so IMO.. 13 is too high.

Really? What color and mods? Thats pretty good. BTW I saw a Red Sportivo in Burleigh Stocklands yesterday and omg it was so fricking awesome. I think Red is my new favorite sportivo color!

Hey thanks all for the input.

Well tommorow I'm getting the wrx inspected and looking at the Levin, as they are both in Brisbane.

To be honest WRX will probably ****, like the last 2 I was interested in. One had **** paintwork and an engine that looked like it was going to break down (I didn't get it inspected, might have been OK but I doubt it) and the other WRX in coffs was perfect....until I backtracked his posts on rexnet.com.au and found out it had been flooded up to the number plate. He still denied it and said he was posting for his brother's car....but thats a whole other story.

Will keep y'all updated.

forum member here in melb sold his 03 Sportivo with 80000k's for $14.5k..... so IMO.. 13 is too high.

Really? What color and mods? Thats pretty good. BTW I saw a Red Sportivo in Burleigh Stocklands yesterday and omg it was so fricking awesome. I think Red is my new favorite sportivo color!

Well tommorow I'm getting the wrx inspected and looking at the Levin, as they are both in Brisbane.

To be honest WRX will probably ****, like the last 2 I was interested in. One had **** paintwork and an engine that looked like it was going to break down (I didn't get it inspected, might have been OK but I doubt it) and the other WRX in coffs was perfect....until I backtracked his posts on rexnet.com.au and found out it had been flooded up to the number plate. He still denied it and said he was posting for his brother's car....but thats a whole other story.

Will keep y'all updated.

Hey Sickular... would you believe i work just next to Stocklands ;)

do you live down that way or something?

Evo

I would take into consideration the fact that you are coming out of a 34. driving an ascent will be quite painful.

petrol wise the ascent and sportivo are not very far apart. and atleast if you want to do a bit of spirited driving, the sportivo will allow that.

keep your eyes peeled for a sportivo selling privatly, and then go offer the guy 12-13k for an 03 model. and you will be suprised at their willingness to accept the offer.

my theory is that the sportivo is not a out and out sports car, so it competes in the hot hatch market with integras and turbos which in terms of performance.. lets face it... are quicker than the sportivo.

the sportivo is not quite a family run about either (the ascent is) its revvy, touchy and not so appealing to the older 'family' market.. they are a difficult car to sell for these reasons, and therefore YOU CAN get a great discount price. not alot of people want them imo. (add on top of this the fact that the auto market is flogging new cars cheaper than normal at the moment)

dont buy from a dealer. youl pay the full 16-17k. thats bs.

just get the stivo and hunt for a cheap one privatly. you might regret getting the ascent.

ps. the leather, sunroof, climate combination is awsome :)

gl

Edited by anferne

Will keep y'all updated.

Hey Sickular... would you believe i work just next to Stocklands ;)

do you live down that way or something?

Evo

Yeah I live in Reedy Creek. Work in Elanora, soon to be working in Tweed South.

Well wrx was *****. Rust in boot both sides behind tails, along weld seams. Hail dents. Trim bits n pieces coming off here and there. Oil Pressure gauge fluctuating now and then. Not worth the drama so bit of a waste of a trip. sigh.

Mate, you wont be disappointed in the lil Sportivo. Last 3 cars I have had before Stivo were pretty quick V8's. The Rolla is a massive drop in HP from them, but a lot of fun to drive. Certainly alot more fun than my wifes Ascent. If you are going from the R34 to Rolla to save a bit of money like I was, the Stivo is a pretty good choice. BTW, I still have a quick V8 tucked away in the shed for when I feel like going slow around the bends and fast in a straight line! Just make sure you make the decision for yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased a sportivo and i think it is a wonderful car. The one i own is a 2005 with 50000 on the clock purchased for 17k. Sure there not rockets, there more of a car that is fun to drive with the short gears and the nice sound ( personally i prefer it a lot more over b18c). I can not comment on the other cars as i am on my learners and only have ever driven two cars ( sportivo , starlet life:P).

Another thing to mention is the sportivo is quite cheap on insurance i believe for me it is $1670 (sounds expensive but i am the worst rating due to age, for me to insure a supra i believe its $2900)

Another car i would suggest looking at is the good old starlet gt turbo. I believe they have the acceleration of a sportivo and due to the turbo you can mod them with ease. reliability could be questionable though......

Good luck shopping :)

don't underestimate the stivo

once the road turns, the stivo is out in front of plenty of cars.

four doors, that was my requirement

i will say that i wish toyota has made it a 2l, so we had more torque, so that i didn't have to drive it too hard to extract max performance on the street

Member Spillige on here, he absolutely raves about the stivo

whitestivo