legally install CAI??

was thinking about buying a K&N panel filter for the car but their $110.

And i know how easy a CAI is to install and their illegal i know. But can they be installed legally? if so how much would i be expected to pay a mechanic or somewhere like autobarn to install it for me legally?

also does anyone who owns a 7afe have suggestions?

just curious :P

Edited by Armstrong

There is nothing illegal about a CAI. Pod filters, on the other hand, are illegal if not installed properly (the exact definition of this varies from state to state, and can be quite hard to obtain solid evidence of what it actually is in NSW). There is nothing illegal about running the standard airbox with a panel filter, with a pipe feeding cold air from say under the front guard

I always thought pod filters were illegal? Is it legal if it doesnt protrude out of the engine bay so much?

Generally the rules pertain to them having to be in an enclosure separate from the engine-bay, so people who just have them floating around in the engine-bay (like on the end of an SRI) are tempting fate with the EPA as well as sucking in useless hot air. I'm not exactly sure on the legality of mine since technically it is separate from the engine-bay (lives under the front guard behind the bumper, where the intake resonator used to be), but I've never been defected or even pulled over by the cops apart for an RBT so it's hard to judge.

yeah mate $110 for the pannel filter is wwwwaaaaaayyyyy cheaper than going CAI......... i picked my TRD CAI up of my mate at ultimate mates rates for $150......... they usually go for $250+

And you will be fine legally with a CAI....... its not exposed which is the main thing

yeah mate $110 for the pannel filter is wwwwaaaaaayyyyy cheaper than going CAI......... i picked my TRD CAI up of my mate at ultimate mates rates for $150......... they usually go for $250+

And you will be fine legally with a CAI....... its not exposed which is the main thing

$250 is cheap for us ;), I got mine second hand for that much. Around $400+ is normal.