Letter from the EPA

Time to go get my system sound tested...

2.5" cat back, mild steel, press bends, 2x Supercat 12" resonators and 2.25" inlet/ 3" outlet S12 Xforce twinloop.

I'll fill up right the brim with premium, as that usually dampens the noise levels for some reason.

Reckon I'll pass? Gotta be under 90dB :S

They test the noise produced by the engine holding 3000rpm right?

Edited by Saj

2.5" cat back, mild steel, press bends, 2x Supercat 12" resonators and 2.25" inlet/ 3" outlet S12 Xforce twinloop.

I'll fill up right the brim with premium, as that usually dampens the noise levels for some reason.

They test the noise produced at the engine holding 3000rpm right?

my car had the rego cancelled after the EPA decided to send me letters to the wrong address after i had changed it prior to dates on the letters etc , i had the exhaust tested and it was over 100db , i then had to go to an exhaust shop and have it changed to meet requirements in victoria of 89db at 4800rpm , the bloke doing the test asked me to let it idle and then gave me the results :lol:

They test the noise produced at the engine holding 3000rpm right?

my car had the rego cancelled after the EPA decided to send me letters to the wrong address after i had changed it prior to dates on the letters etc , i had the exhaust tested and it was over 100db , i then had to go to an exhaust shop and have it changed to meet requirements in victoria of 89db at 4800rpm , the bloke doing the test asked me to let it idle and then gave me the results :lol:

hahah nice where did you go?

They test the noise produced by the engine holding 3000rpm right?

Yeah man you'll be fine.

They ask you to rev to 3/4 of your max engine speed power.

1zz's max power is at 6000 so you rev to 4500.

If you really want shove a heap of steel wool down the tip and out of sight.

That should quieten it down abit.

Make sure they calibrate the db meter before AND after the official test.

That is a legal requirement for the test to be official.

Gl mate.

-Azza

Edited by mrcrazyrolla

Letter? what for and why?

Exhaust being too loud...

Oh ok i read it like it was rego requirement, random drive by or did he get pulled over for something else?

Probably someone who gets off on dobbing people in complained about the noise and gave his plates.

nah, according to the letter an EPA officer saw me go by on Spencer St on the 18th July at 6:03pm.

What a joke..Spencer st? is it really that loud at 40kmph :lol:

good luck and hope it goes hassle free for you

looking a the specs you have put up for youe exhaust I wouldn't expect it to be all that loud, other guys have similar setups with no problems.

HOWEVER, do you have a modified intake (eg CAI or SRI?) these can often be louder than the exhaust in these cars... something to be careful of.

nah, according to the letter an EPA officer saw me go by on Spencer St on the 18th July at 6:03pm.

What a joke..Spencer st? is it really that loud at 40kmph :lol:

good luck and hope it goes hassle free for you

it is if your holding first gear flogging it impatient in traffic lol

Looks like tax dollars in good use when you see a guy standing there by the street holding a boom mic at cars.

looking a the specs you have put up for youe exhaust I wouldn't expect it to be all that loud, other guys have similar setups with no problems.

HOWEVER, do you have a modified intake (eg CAI or SRI?) these can often be louder than the exhaust in these cars... something to be careful of.

Varex FTW !!!! :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P

Ahh that sucks. The cop must've been having a really bad day lol

on the other hand the cops that pulled me over about 3 weeks ago, must of been in a very good mood because they pulled me over for speeding ''30+'' not only did they not book me but they only gave me a minor defect for pod and exhaust,(meaning no epa station) still annoying but got off for the speeding....would of lost my licence. good to see some good luck come my way for once

Edited by spillige

when i got my letter i phoned the epa and the lady told me an officer on his lunch break had witnessed me shaply accelerating onto the freeway and noted my plates down, she was so unkind to me also , which made it all the better when i got the car back on the road hehe . i wouldn;t be stuffing steel wool down the exhaust or doing anything silly until you have it tested to see how loud it is to start with

I got the same letter in the mail, $300 later for a new catback system and three mufflers and I passed...

If it's just over, try getting some restrictive copper gaskets made up to let only half the size flow through...

Hey that's a great idea! thank you kind sir. :)