Rattling from my exhaust

SecaBoy

Well I just took my trd in for a service. I've had a rattling sound on start up for a few months now.

According to my local Toyota service centre two cat convertors have failed due to my aftermarket exhaust system. I don't know which ones yet but they'll let me know when I pick the car up this arvo.

Just a question though. If the cats have failed, then shouldn't the cel have come on??

As far as i know i wouldnt think mufflers after the cat's could contribute in any way to the failure of the cats really? For the flow to increase through the cats surely its the manifolds that would need to be modified to increase flow. I highly doubt your mufflers had anything to do with the failure of cat's.

I would contact the place where yout got the cat back done and ask them if it could contribute and ask if its possible for them to be contacted by toyota they r blowing smoke up ya and trying to touch you up. Very un toyota to be honest. they actually said to me nice job lowering it and didnt say anything about warranty issues.

Hey look on the brighter side, if they don't end up honouring the warranty claim on this (like they bloody well should) its a good excuse to get a couple of new hi-flow cats instead.

Hey look on the brighter side, if they don't end up honouring the warranty claim on this (like they bloody well should) its a good excuse to get a couple of new hi-flow cats instead.

The downside with this is the Aurions have 3 cats!

I still think you should stick to your guns and demand proof why the cats have anything to do with the mufflers in regards to failing. I've seen cars shoot their muffler guts out tailpipe on a dyno before but realistically your not in that situation.

Or as said previously upgrade to a full system and be done with it.

Well when I went to get my car back I asked to see the service manager.

One of the first things they said was "I have one of my most senior people look at it."

Anyway, long story short, when I explained the problem to the manager he said that it doesn't sound like it's the cats at all. :lol:

he said that they will have to get the car in and have a look at it because it isn't the cats if the noise is only there on startup.

So it's booked in for mid September while I'm away for them to have a closer look.

I shouldn't of had to question them in the first place, but I'm happy with the way they were quick to admit they made a mistake.

Anyway I'll update the thread when I know more.

Rowan. They didn't replace them. But they did tell me that my brakes and front tyres needed to be changed asap. Lol

Check the aircon pipe in the engine bay, which runs on the drivers side right against the edge of the car frame. I had this exact rattle that was annoying the s*** out of me whenever I started the car for about 8 months, and after about 5 visits to the dealers and being unable to reproduce the issue, I resorted to hunting it down myself. I eventually found the aircon pipe only clearing the frame by about 1mm and got suspicious. After 15 minutes with a giant blade screwdriver, I was able to bend the bracket slightly to clear the frame by about 0.5cm. Haven't had a single rattle since!

post-4867-1250844618_thumb.jpg

cheers mate... i'll check it out...

dont suppose you could take a pic thats a bit further away could you?

speaking of the rattle though... it hasnt happened since i got the car back from service... :huh:

i've only started it 3 times though... so it might happen tonight or tomorrow... its completely random...

Bring it in and we'll get it up on a hoist for you to check if it is the cats, I really doubt that cats will fail due to an aftermarket exhaust (age, lots of KM's or poor tunes - yes). Good luck fitting high flow cats, CEL's everywhere :)

If one has failed, the substrate will have either cracked or separated from the housing which is what rattles. CEL won't be thrown as the cat is still functioning correctly.

dont suppose you could take a pic thats a bit further away could you?

Ignore my dirty engine bay since this was taken ages ago when I never really cleaned my engine bay. This is on the drivers side looking towards the front of the car. I mounted your HID ballast near there as well if you can remember.

dsc02294cd1.jpg