5 speed to 6 speed convo?

i have a zze122r wagon and i have access to a 6 speed box from a sportivo, just wondering do they bolt up to the 1zzfe ok? has anyone else done the conversion and what else do i need ie flywheel/shifter cables,mounts,driveshafts or does it bolt in with all the 5 speed accesories

dead set??? so just bolt in and bolt out and reconnect everything and obviously the tranny mounts are in the same spot if its the case i will do that soon too cause it will be cheaper than getting a recondt 1zz box.

awsome :P :P :P

yes, bolts straight in.

It was a very quick swap in Pippy's car, ripped 5-speed out, bolted 6-speed in... took about 3-4 hours in total not using a hoist. It was initially running with the 5-speed shafts until we upgraded to the 6-speed drivers side shaft for more turbo oil drain hose clearance.

It was a tight fit to the inner CV with the 5-speed shaft:

project59.jpg

2zz clutch will fit the 1zz flywheel if you want a higher clamp force clutch. 1zz and 2zz use exactly the same clutch plate, 5-speed and 6-speed have the same input shaft spline count. You can use either clutch for either box.

and the celica gearbox be exactly the same as the corolla box. would have to check toyota catalogue for that one im guessing. and the drive shafts are from 2zz aswell??? it would be better to run both shafts from the 6spd

What?? what are you talking about?

Here's the thing, the ZZ series corolla, celica, and MR-S all share the same bell housing bolt pattern. (i.e. C56, C60, C64, etc, etc) but they don't all share the same linkage. Have a look around, i'm sure this has been covered a few times.

As for the shaft, when you do a gearbox swap the shafts don't matter. there is nothing wrong with keeping your old 1zz shafts.

2zz shafts require a centre bearing bracket to secure the 2 piece shaft. Some say it would reduce torque steer from the "equal length" shafts, but to be honest i couldn't really tell since my 6spd is a LSD box.

in a nutshell tho, swapping gearboxes from the same ZZ series would not require drive shaft swap. Do it if they can be had cheaply, otherwise i wouldn't bother.

what does your friend dom reckon?

there should be better acceleration as the ratio is lower slightly, so i think it woulld be overall better in everyway

more gears, more able to take power, more reliable, quicker etc

Ok guys.

The strength of the C series gearboxes are all about the same, and although Corolla Sportivo uses a 6 speed, it is not the same 6 speed that is off a Celica.

To help people try and understand the differences of these 3 most commonly asked gearboxes, here are the graphical representation of the ratios.

Graphed with RPM vs. Speed (NOTE: MPH) with the revs maxing out at 6400 (sorry! 1zz oriented!)

C52vsC64.gif

Graph 1: C64 vs C52 - 2ZZ sportivo 6spd vs 1ZZ corolla 5spd

C60vsC64.gif

Graph 2: C60 vs C64 - 2ZZ celica 6spd vs 2ZZ sportivo 6spd

Hope this helps you guys understand.

p.s. doing power mods will not make your rpm figure change for a particular speed. sorry to break it to you guys but that's a constant product. :P Also, having 6 gears doesn't always mean you'll be shifting more, but it does nearly always mean you'll have more access to your power band. :)

Edited by Pippy

so according to that graph the 2zz 6th gear has higher geared top speed and slightly in 3rd gear so would it be then better for top speed to go for the c60 box over the c64

I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the top speed as such because the aerodymanics of the corolla body isn't too goo at high speeds and apparently reaches its limits in terms of resistance around 220km/hr.

Having said that tho, what might be of interest and a bit closer to reality is the crusing engine speed (rpm) at 100km/hr, roughly 60mph.

C60 sits just that much lower for the fuel consumption figures to be considerably lower when tuned. personal experiences at least, compared to the 5spd.

Here's the thing, the ZZ series corolla, celica, and MR-S all share the same bell housing bolt pattern. (i.e. C56, C60, C64, etc, etc) but they don't all share the same linkage. Have a look around, i'm sure this has been covered a few times.
so now does anyone have a c60 gearbox sitting in their garage so i can buy it off them

You sure the linkage will work?

The 6th gear difference between the c60 and c64 isn't worth fighting for, it'll make no difference to your top speed unless you have 300+hp to push through the drag. And I'm yet to see a track in Australia where you can reach that speed with a 1.8L engine.

so now does anyone have a c60 gearbox sitting in their garage so i can buy it off them

You sure the linkage will work?

The 6th gear difference between the c60 and c64 isn't worth fighting for, it'll make no difference to your top speed unless you have 300+hp to push through the drag. And I'm yet to see a track in Australia where you can reach that speed with a 1.8L engine.

lol i know a guy who has 230kw@front wheels wif his 2zz celica :) feels good to ride in :P but i dunno if hes taking it to its max yet