Home Made CAI for corolla sportivo

Hi there i am a newbie to this fourm and to cars as well so sorry if this has already been talked about. Due to me being a student ( high school not uni :P) i am short on cash but i still seek to have a cai. I was just wanting your guys opinions if any of you guys have done this and how it went.

I am thinking of running a 3 inch pipe from the throttle body to the the fog light ( could some one please inform me if the throttle body opening is 3 inch or 2.5 cheers.) because i own a 2005 model sportivo i would have to cut a bit of the chassis to make so the hole can support 3 inch. If there is another place that i could put a CAI please inform me ! Not to excited to cut the precious :P.

post-15146-1251792805_thumb.jpg

post-15146-1251793373_thumb.jpg

Any way basicly my main questions is will my idea work having the cold start tube connected into the pipe, then the maf and then obviously a K&N filter at the end. ( is there any way the maf should be facing for best result.

Please inform me of any thing i should be wary of.

Thanks

Dave

What are you going to mount the MAF in?

The maf mounting/placement is critical for a properly functioning CAI.

Thanks that i was wondering my self i was thinking of just drilling a hole into the tube and maybe silconing the maf in place. by placement you mean how far up the tube yea ? I am unsure of how far i should place the maf.

Edited by 2zz corolla

just remove the snorkel and get a flexi pipe from autobarn, run it down to the fog lights

cheap and very effective,

I thought the pipe connecting to the snorkel is like 40 to 60mm (i haven't properly looked at it). Wouldn't that restrict any gains at all? Does it offer a large sound improvement and a bit more power ?

thanks though i might give it a try on the weekend considering its basically a free mod

Cheers

Dave

if you have a closer look at the snorkel it goes narrower, it does make it a little louder then stock when you have the cold air feed

theres no real huge gain but you can feel the difference from the stock snorkel

ok true sounds good. i am guessing your running some kind of K&N panel filter yea ? I just had a more detailed look then and it looks like it could be a good short term fix.

What is the cheapest cai kit there like $250 300 yea ?

Thanks by the way

Dave

Edited by 2zz corolla

if you have a closer look at the snorkel it goes narrower, it does make it a little louder then stock when you have the cold air feed

ok true sounds good. i am guessing your running some kind of K&N panel filter yea ? I just had a more detailed look then and it looks like it could be a good short term fix.

Thanks by the way

Dave

well i still got the stock panel filter, but i definately recommend getting a better flowing panel filter

which will still cost over $100 FOR k&N BRAND

Thanks by the way

Dave

well i still got the stock panel filter, but i definately recommend getting a better flowing panel filter

which will still cost over $100 FOR k&N BRAND

Yea i know that's why i am considering just getting some piping and hopeing for the best as i already have a pod k&n........ o well i shall have to see how it turns out , my friend (who is incredibly mechanically minded) suggested the idea of making a home made cai. He didn't realize how different the intake setups are now compared to the 90's though. Bloody maf sensors !

Ill attack it with him on the weekend or the next and hopefully all goes smoothly ...

Can any one tell me exactly where a maf sensor should be placed in an intake ?

Thanks for all your guys help.

i'm guessing not too close to the pod filter as this will cause way too much air hitting the maf sensor resulting in incorrect air sensing.

if you have a look at some of the cai or sri it's kind of closer to the throttle body.

Yea from looking at alot of the pro cai's they seem to be just less then half way up the pipe...... o well cheers Denz- Sportivo for ya help. If it all goes to plan then ill have to shout you a beer as the commodore fellows say :P.

Have a good one

Dave

I made my own CAI. The car isn't here at the moment so no pics yet. All u need is a 3" 90 degree mandrel bend, some silicone joiners, clamps and a decent pod filter.

U'll need to either make a battery tray where the stock airbox sits or relocate the battery to the boot.

I really think it's better than anything U can buy off the shelf. It's just straight out of the throttle body, bends 90 degrees to face down into the guard, clamped on to the AFM which I cut out of the stock airbox to keep the correct inner diameter (don't use those crappy autobarn spec adaptors or it'll run lean) then clamped another straight 3" piece to go into the guard and fitted the pod from underneath. I also had to extend the AFM wires and slightly cut and fold back for it to fit down behind the headlight but U have to do this for any CAI on an 05 model.

It's still plenty long enough to keep the momentum of air going unlike those ****ty 'short ram intakes' and it has way less bends than an off the shelf CAI that has to go around the battery. I think te fact that it has a good 15cm of straight pipe going directly in to the throttle body would also help more even cylinder distribution.

Edited by bradsm87

I made my own CAI. The car isn't here at the moment so no pics yet. All u need is a 3" 90 degree mandrel bend, some silicone joiners, clamps and a decent pod filter.

U'll need to either make a battery tray where the stock airbox sits or relocate the battery to the boot.

I really think it's better than anything U can buy off the shelf. It's just straight out of the throttle body, bends 90 degrees to face down into the guard, clamped on to the AFM which I cut out of the stock airbox to keep the correct inner diameter (don't use those crappy autobarn spec adaptors or it'll run lean) then clamped another straight 3" piece to go into the guard and fitted the pod from underneath. I also had to extend the AFM wires and slightly cut and fold back for it to fit down behind the headlight but U have to do this for any CAI on an 05 model.

It's still plenty long enough to keep the momentum of air going unlike those ****ty 'short ram intakes' and it has way less bends than an off the shelf CAI that has to go around the battery. I think te fact that it has a good 15cm of straight pipe going directly in to the throttle body would also help more even cylinder distribution.

hey bradsm87..

this sounds like a good idea.. i mite use the way u have described for a DIY CAI..

ill wait till u post up pics and see how the actual fittings go.

but def an excellent idea...

congrats on the successful DIY.

WOW! you put a incredible about of effort into your cai. please post some pics up if you could ( Would love detailed pics but you dont have to) thanks very much been waiting for some one with first hand experince! Im not to interested in moving my battery though. Its a good idea but the effort required sounds like quite a bit for practicaly no power gain. Also im a tad lazy :P. I agree with you about the short ram intakes ...... the ony use i see for them is to use the piping as a holder for the maf and cold start then create a cai out of it.

I say again please post pics ! :)

dave

Edited by 2zz corolla

Whatever you do, dont hack up your factory airbox, you'll regret it when the time comes to sell the car. Corolla's are more valuable stock than they are modified.

This is one I knocked up, no 90deg bends used

2zzintake1.jpg

2zzintake2.jpg

2zzintake3.jpg

Whatever you do, dont hack up your factory airbox, you'll regret it when the time comes to sell the car. Corolla's are more valuable stock than they are modified.

2zzintake1.jpg

2zzintake2.jpg

2zzintake3.jpg

Chase,

can you hook me up with that bit of pipe?

its perfect for what i need :P

Evo

2zzintake1.jpg

2zzintake2.jpg

2zzintake3.jpg

Did you create that. very nice job i would even be interested in buying one off you if you made another. did you find it hard to do battery relocation ?

I did make that, but they're not cheap... It would be cheaper to buy an injen or similar from ebay.

The battery relocation kit consists of the factory battery tray, some custom brackets to re-mount the tray, custom hold-down strap and posts.

Quite a bit of time required to get it all perfect, in addition to the alloy, the podram, the CNC MAF mount and the 6" base K&N filter.

I did make that, but they're not cheap... It would be cheaper to buy an injen or similar from ebay.

The battery relocation kit consists of the factory battery tray, some custom brackets to re-mount the tray, custom hold-down strap and posts.

Quite a bit of time required to get it all perfect, in addition to the alloy, the podram, the CNC MAF mount and the 6" base K&N filter.

true ok well thanks any way. The battery relocation sounds like it could be a posibility all depends if i get off my ****. I had a look on ebay failed to find any thing at the moment hope fully some miricle happens and i can find some one who is willing to sell me a cai with out a pod for under $150. (hint hint :P)

Sure pippy soz its my first week on the fourm still learning every thing :P

That's a nice lookin one too, especially how the end flares out. I'd be concerned about your air to fuel ratio when using the factory MAF sensor in a 3" pipe. The velocity is lower so it reads a lower air flow and injects less fuel :o

Edited by bradsm87

you would be concerned as you aren't aware of the internal reducer welded into the straight section of tube at the MAF. The AFR's checked out fine on the dyno too :P

Edit: Here's a pic of the internal reducer welded in prior to profiling the weld bead

2zzintake4.jpg

Edited by CHA54