Home Made CAI for corolla sportivo

nice CAI.. well done CHA54.

but i still like the way Denz_sportivo had his set up. i think that will be the one that i will settle on. im really not a big fan of unwanted attention... esp from the boys in blue.

can we get the flex pipe anywhere else other than autobarn or supercheap??

and how much do they cost? as in do u buy how much u need or its of the shelf so to say?

thanks guys!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there i am a newbie to this fourm and to cars as well so sorry if this has already been talked about. Due to me being a student ( high school not uni :P) i am short on cash but i still seek to have a cai. I was just wanting your guys opinions if any of you guys have done this and how it went.

I am thinking of running a 3 inch pipe from the throttle body to the the fog light ( could some one please inform me if the throttle body opening is 3 inch or 2.5 cheers.) because i own a 2005 model sportivo i would have to cut a bit of the chassis to make so the hole can support 3 inch. If there is another place that i could put a CAI please inform me ! Not to excited to cut the precious :P.

Any way basicly my main questions is will my idea work having the cold start tube connected into the pipe, then the maf and then obviously a K&N filter at the end. ( is there any way the maf should be facing for best result.

Please inform me of any thing i should be wary of.

Thanks

Dave

Sorry to bring up a old post but i have recenetly finished my home made cold air intake. Its home job at its finnest, 3 inch pipe connected to the air box, with a pod running off the end of the pipe. Just wanted to raise a question here though, when looking at the standard pipeing at one stage it goes down to as small as 1 inch ( havent acturly measured it) what was toyota thinking how can a performance engine breath with such a small pipe like that and that vavume controlled valve all it does is let in hot air. It looks like toyota just did that for a quick fix and didnt spend many hours on it :P.

Then again the car was just under 30 grand brand new ... so they did do a fine job !

O well in the end it worked out well and gives a truely great noise. I hope theres more cheap mods that can be done. :D

What are you going to mount the MAF in?

The maf mounting/placement is critical for a properly functioning CAI.

Thanks that i was wondering my self i was thinking of just drilling a hole into the tube and maybe silconing the maf in place. by placement you mean how far up the tube yea ? I am unsure of how far i should place the maf.

Just thought I would mention in case this crosses anyone's mind. A MAF sensor like the one the Corolla uses isn't exactly as simple as putting it in the flow of air and calling it a day. As mentioned, the placement is critical as it relies on the correct flow of air past it.

Just wanted to raise a question here though, when looking at the standard pipeing at one stage it goes down to as small as 1 inch ( havent acturly measured it) what was toyota thinking how can a performance engine breath with such a small pipe like that and that vavume controlled valve all it does is let in hot air. It looks like toyota just did that for a quick fix and didnt spend many hours on it :P.

There can be quite a bit of design work involved. When you simply look at it, it may seem completly wrong, but from a technical perspective, it may actually work more efficiently. For example, by reducing the diameter of the pipe, you can change the pressure of air before and after the reduced section which in turn can increase the velocity of the air. This can aid towards an efficient intake.

I really don't know physics all that great, but I'm sure the design is not as stupid as it looks.

Please post a picture

well i just want to warn you its laughable stuff mate. Its a combination of some quality flexi pipe , pvc and a apparently" high flow saas air filter ........ its no looker :P so i am just warning you . you still interested. btw the pics might not show much as its squished as !

i can still provide if you wish