aurion stuttering

outback

Hey, so my parents drive an aurion zr6.

its just done its 43,000 km service but its starting to stutter when you try and slow down, as in

youll be putting your foot on the brake, and just as you start to stop it stutters and sort of feels like its still jumping forward??

it doesnt happen all the time, but edleast once while you drive it.

they are going to get it back to the dealer, but i was just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them??

odd :ph34r:

I haven't heard of anyone with that issue before. Sounds to me like the torque converter is not slipping enough as the car slows down to allow the engine to idle properly. Or it's not down-shifting as it usually does as you slow down.

I haven't heard of anyone with that issue before. Sounds to me like the torque converter is not slipping enough as the car slows down to allow the engine to idle properly. Or it's not down-shifting as it usually does as you slow down.

Hey DJKOR,

This might sound dumb but can it be the break system (ABS) might be working if you are slowing down then let some preasure of the brake to creep up slowly to a set of lights or coming to a stop? Mine does this sometimes, i notice the ABS working while doing that and not so much pressing the brake normally?

Also while on the topic of ABS does your Aurion make a noise like engaging knock in the engine bay just as you drive it after you start the motor? Toyota told me its the ABS engaging??? I dont know anything about it.

Thanks

Rick

This might sound dumb but can it be the break system (ABS) might be working if you are slowing down then let some preasure of the brake to creep up slowly to a set of lights or coming to a stop? Mine does this sometimes, i notice the ABS working while doing that and not so much pressing the brake normally?

I always creep up to lights etc after the initial slow down nearly all the time (better on the rotors IMO). Out of all the times that I have done that, I have never has the ABS system try and do it's job. Only cases that I have had ABS do something while stopping is when I've slammed on the brakes or tried to break while doing certain downhill turns.

I had a re-read of the original post and though of it in this sense, but didn't really think it would be ABS (or electronic brake force distribution) doing it's job.

Also while on the topic of ABS does your Aurion make a noise like engaging knock in the engine bay just as you drive it after you start the motor? Toyota told me its the ABS engaging??? I dont know anything about it.

Copy and paste for efficiency:

Are you referring to the sound you get when you take off for the first time after starting your car, and it does not occur afterwards when you get your car rolling?

If so, this is to do with the ABS. Every time you start your engine and then drive off the ABS performs a self-check. The service manual best describes this:
When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check. During the initial check, the operating sound of solenoid valve and motor can be heard from the engine compartment, but this is not a malfunction.

question for the OP...

when this happens, do you notice the revs jump or drop suddenly?

if not, it could be warped discs and with only very slight pressure on the brakes, it'll make the car feel like its surging forward..

they need to be severely warped for this to be happening though...

Only cases that I have had ABS do something while stopping is when I've slammed on the brakes or tried to break while doing certain downhill turns.

I regularly go down a tight downhill bend

only braking moderately I can hear the noise

but strangely its multiple times as I come to a stop (instead of once like normal engine start takeoff)

(location: Sydney M5 tunnel west bound access from Princes Highway)

When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check.

in my experience the threshold speed is closer to 20km/h

Edited by tekkyy

only braking moderately I can hear the noise

Yeah, moderate braking on a downhill bend can set mine off. I should have put emphasis on the 'or' in my last statement.

but strangely its multiple times as I come to a stop (instead of once like normal engine start takeoff)

That's correct. A modern ABS actuator can pulse the brakes up to 15 times per second so it is able to prevent wheel lock-up.

When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check.

in my experience the threshold speed is closer to 20km/h

I guess as you are accelerating it can seem like this (otherwise yours must be a little different), but mine is pretty spot on around 6 km/h. I know this cause if I reverse out of my driveway too quick, when I hit the brakes at the end, the self test will occur and it makes a funny sound.