Accuracy of Fuel Consumption

Hamstor

I envy u guys.. The best I ever got with my car is 8.8l/100km, and that was during a trip to canberra... Only around twice i did get under 10l/100km. Mostly I got around 14-16l/100km, considering most of the drive is city-drive, and prolly the 20s that affect the readings.

having filled up on Wed (now Fri morning) and only done a few very short trips (<10km) I am on about 17l/100km... It started at 99.9l/100km when I moved a few metres from the bowser and idled for a while :-)

Going on a country drive tomorrow, will fill up again before I go and see how the economy goes, it should show me what a pure country drive economy is around. The previous Camry stated 9.9l combined cycle (new one is 8.9 now I think), with about 7.9 country and 13.9 city on the sticker, but my sticker only quoted the combined.

Hi,

I'm driving a brand new face lift Prodigy and the trip computer is claiming 8.0 l/100. Nearly all highway driving (Syd / Wollongong). Have not had a chance to verify the accuracy yet.

Near 400 km done with still just over 1/2 tank of fuel.

Sweet! :yahoo:

Saying that though, if it is drawn from the bottom of the fuel tank, that throws my thinking out the door.

The other thing to consider with car fuel tanks is that they usually aren't that deep (apart from ones mounted between the boot and the backseat) - they are wide and flat. So the difference between half a tank and a full tank might only be 5-10cm of depth.

Keep in mind that the speedo in the Aurion is off..

Mine seems to be off by a larger amount the faster I go.

EDIT: this was the case as well when I was running on stock rims and stock tyres.

EDIT: this was the case as well when I was running on stock rims and stock tyres.

I'll have to take my Navman GPS with me on the trip as well just to see what speed it says I am doing. My old Eunos was about 3-5km/h faster on the dash than the GPS and those speed check radar things on some highways.

Country run: Did a near pure country run yesterday(200km, most at 80 or 110), filled up before and after on E10. Got 8.6l/100km

I also took my Navman to test the speedo accuracy. It scales a bit, starting at about 1.5km/h slow at 60, getting up to 3km/h slow at 110.

Basically, at 80 & 100km/h, to actually do that speed, the left edge of the needle needs to be on the number. To do 110, their needs to be about 2 mm gap between the needle and the indicator line.

Country run: Did a near pure country run yesterday(200km, most at 80 or 110), filled up before and after on E10. Got 8.6l/100km

I also took my Navman to test the speedo accuracy. It scales a bit, starting at about 1.5km/h slow at 60, getting up to 3km/h slow at 110.

Basically, at 80 & 100km/h, to actually do that speed, the left edge of the needle needs to be on the number. To do 110, their needs to be about 2 mm gap between the needle and the indicator line.

That's perfectly normal, in fact I thought manufacturers have a 5% leeway but they usually show you going faster than you actually are.

i have also found that my speedo is out of wack compared to my previous camry, the readings on speedo and gps were accurate, but now at 110kmh the gps shows 104kmh.

i run my sx6 as a taxi around hobart, there are many hills to climb and my fuel consumption is around 10.5 to 11.2 lt/100. this is running on ron91, have tried ron95 but this seems to up the consumption to nesr 12lt/100. the best i got from the v6 camry (modded) on ron95 was 12.4lt/100.

i run my sx6 as a taxi around hobart, there are many hills to climb and my fuel consumption is around 10.5 to 11.2 lt/100. this is running on ron91, have tried ron95 but this seems to up the consumption to nesr 12lt/100. the best i got from the v6 camry (modded) on ron95 was 12.4lt/100.

Wait so you're saying that 91RON is actually more efficient than 95RON? I find it hard to believe that, because on paper there's nothing to support that. Obviously your driving style and conditions would work into that somewhere but I think you should give it another go. I have been using 95RON since I picked it up from the dealer so I wouldn't be able to differentiate; but if it is healthier for the engine I am prepared to pay the premium.

Wait so you're saying that 91RON is actually more efficient than 95RON? I find it hard to believe that, because on paper there's nothing to support that. Obviously your driving style and conditions would work into that somewhere but I think you should give it another go. I have been using 95RON since I picked it up from the dealer so I wouldn't be able to differentiate...

Not a conclusive test because it was only quick testing, but on my drive back from Melbourne, I had just about the exact same fuel consumption using 91 RON, 95 RON, and E10. If you are are driving the car just for highway driving and not accelerating hard etc, then fuel consumption shouldn't really vary between the different fuels, which is understandable when you consider the purpose of the octane rating. I'm not sure about the statement of 91 being more efficient than 95, but any number of factors could be at play.

...but if it is healthier for the engine I am prepared to pay the premium.

Well apparently, all grades of fuels contain the same detergents that make it healthier for the engine. So whether it be 91 or 95, you should still get those benefits. From what I've heard, the only fuel with different types of additives to the rest is BP Ultimate. Just what I heard though.

I think the lower economy is a 'may' not a 'will'. It would be nice to hear from Toyota the pros & cons of using E10 so us owners can make an informated desicion.

So far I havn't seen any noticable change in economy. My second tank (my first on E10, the first tank was standard ULP) was much much more stop start cycle than the more highway cycle of the first tank but I still only used an extra 1 l/100km extra.

I did notice on the bowser at Shell last night it said that E10 economy 'may' be lower. On Shell's web site, their FQ on E10 has a question "Will I get the same fuel efficiency from an ethanol blended fuel compared to regular unleaded?", unfortunately Shell do not actually answer their own question in the FAQ but rather dance around the edges like a bunch of politicians... Makes you think the real answer is yes in many cases. Having said that, E10 is about 4c/l cheaper than ULP, which is about 4-6c/l cheaper than ULP95 which is about 4-5c/l cheaper than 98's like Vortex.

I recently travelled 700km on 3/4 of a tank (53l) after using 95RON fuel. I then filled up with E10 91 RON and travelled 700km on just under 60l. All of it was highway driving. The first strech gave me an economy of 7.5l per 100km on the multi-function meter and the second may have been 8.1l or there abouts. This was much better economy than my '03 V6 Camry that gave me at best 8.7l per 100km on the same trip.

Must say that I love my new car as it has more power AND better economy!! :D

Just for the record, what did you use to check the accuracy of the gps. Most electronic meter have an % accuracy AND a plus/minus on the least significant digit. Analog meters (your speedo) have a paralex error unless they are viewed correctly, to be accurate they usually have a mirrored section and to get the reading you have to line up the needle with the reflection.

I also assume you had the correct tyre pressure as this would influence distance being measured.

Do you fill your tank to the first click or right the way up the spout? Do you use a fast fill rate, may create an air lock and affect the amount you can actually put into the tank or do you slowly fill the tank?

Wait so you're saying that 91RON is actually more efficient than 95RON? I find it hard to believe that, because on paper there's nothing to support that. Obviously your driving style and conditions would work into that somewhere but I think you should give it another go. I have been using 95RON since I picked it up from the dealer so I wouldn't be able to differentiate; but if it is healthier for the engine I am prepared to pay the premium.

im certainly not saying that 91 is more economical than 95, i think it has to do with the tuning of the individual vehicle. my findings totally contradict my previous camry v6 which would not run on 91 (rattled like a diesel ! ) but worked fine on 95 or even 98.

With the same setup in every Aurion produced, how can some be different in the tuning? Every service by Toyota they test the setup, so regardless of how you drove the car prior to the service (lead foot or grandpa) the learning ECU in your car is reset and you get another chance to try to get it to learn how you want it to perform.

I am not aware of anything that has been done by anyone that has had a prolonged affected on how the car runs for the better.

Playing with the exhaust, air box etc may give a different sound but does it change how the car runs? - I think not, the car will always adapt and try to return to achieve the required programmed settings.

Until there is the possibility to re-program the car I believe any change is a personal choice/belief that it looks/sounds good to them.

But don't stop trying, just don't expect big results to happen easily. Power will always sacrifice economy! Handling can be improved by bolt on parts but how fast and for how long will you be able to push the envelope before your car is no longer on the black stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
HEy All, I am new.......

Thought this might help.............for those who have Iphones you can dowload Ifuel(pro) from the app store it is great for fuel averages and cost almost like a log book.

hope it helps

Welcome to the club. :toast:

I'll look into it later somehow how accurate is the application. :spiteful:

HEy All, I am new.......

Thought this might help.............for those who have Iphones you can dowload Ifuel(pro) from the app store it is great for fuel averages and cost almost like a log book.

hope it helps

Welcome to the club. :toast:

I'll look into it later somehow how accurate is the application. :spiteful:

Im assuming you just log your averages in every week and it just averages out the total. I doubt it would actually tell you the car's actual fuel usage..