AE82 Twincam

jaderd

Hey all,

went to the wreckers to get the secondaries that belong to my headers which i already have and unfortunately they are welded up to the whole exhaust :(...didnt want to waste another trip to wreckers so sussed the car out again and found a pretty much brand new whiteline fully adjustable rear sway bar.....quickly took it off and payed my new friend (same young chick working as last time) $19.80 for the sway.....i let her keep the 20c when i payed with a $20. To make it even better i chatted to the guy there and he said come back on sunday and he will angle grind off the section i need from the exhaust :) very happy so soon the car will have full IHE and also the rear sway bar.

i love going to wreckers

whitelinerearsway.jpg

Now thats a bargain,even being 2nd hand...nice score. :clap:

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn....im buggered, did my last major trip out to the wreckers and it went very well.

Took about 2,5 hours in the heat and a bit of stuffing around but got everything i wanted

Today i scored

4 Monroe GT gas Shocks

2 Lovell springs (blue....eviltwin said maybe lovells)

2 unknown springs

One Twincam Steering Wheel

One Twincam Strut Brace

One exhaust....Genie Secondaries, then 2.5" approx to cat, then CAT dated 06/06 so fair new, then 2" pipe onto resonator then 2" to rear muffler.

Hot day took 2.5 hours to get it all out of wreck

Grand Total Price = $69.00 sooooo cheap

very happy man

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

So now that i have that exhasut and al mounting brackets it had i already have the Genie headers that came from that wreck..........so im simply going to unbolt the stock headers and secondaries and rest of exhasut that i just payed to get made up, then fit this whole setup i scored from the wreckers.

If it all goes well i will then sell off the exhaust that i just payed to get made up :( i know will lose afew dollars but thats k and im sure someone will be happy to buy it.

hey mate...

sounds like you had a ripper weekend out there!

Cant wait to see how this little car performs now with this setup.

Hang onto the exhaust you made up... you may want to use it if the setup you pulled from this car is inadequate.

any word on the condition of the engine in the car? was it seized?

hey mate...

sounds like you had a ripper weekend out there!

Cant wait to see how this little car performs now with this setup.

Hang onto the exhaust you made up... you may want to use it if the setup you pulled from this car is inadequate.

any word on the condition of the engine in the car? was it seized?

yeah for sure...ill wait and assess down track on selling one got made up etc.

not sure about engine i think it may be gearbox issues.

the car was up on old rims at wreckers so i could get under, therefore when it came to taking rims off to get off sussy i was able to undo all nuts on 3 wheels fine but the front left wheel they were too tight, i chucked it in gear etc so that the wheel would not turn and then had a go at cracking the wheel nuts but wheel kept turning, now im 99% sure that if in gear the wheel should not be able to rotate around therefore im guessing something buggered with gear box or CV etc, it was the same one where the CV boot was wrecked and heaps oil about so im guessing that may have been reason why car wrecked.

Found a rego paper and the car didnt get registered in 2009 so was last on the road in 2008.

happy the cat is dated 06/06 so is maximum 3 year old system really and im guessing thats problem around the same time all the shocks were fitted and sway bar as it was getting modded...

might even have a go this weekend at fitting the exhaust...

The twinky wheel is in ok nick as well, it had a gay steering wheel cover on it and the leather appears blistered with tiny little lumps on alot of it, i spent 20 mins yesterday rubbing some leather restorer into it and it looks great now....got it hanging on display in the garage :)

RDA Slotted Rotors, Front ventilated rear solid are ordered - $290 for all four

and RDA extreme pads, guy said only have fronts not rears, have ordered them and will suss out what rears to get whilst at the shop...was quoted $80 for all four so guessing $40 for the pair.

pick up monday :)

will do the brakes when put is sussy i picked up last week.

big day today...took me from around 9-4.

took off my current exhaust which is the stock headers and secondaries then new from cat back.

replaced that with the genie headers, secondaries and exhaust.

Replaced stock sway bar with whiteline one

Also did an oil and filter change, gearbox oil can wait another week or two.

all is in, car feels great, headers look great, exhaust is fair bit quieter but still nice and exactly the loudness i want for all occasions.......just may need to add a washer or two to one of the exhasut mounts to lower it a bit as slight rattle at rear muffler on heat shield.

Now one thing i noticed the genie headers fouled the z386 filter !.....to change the filter you need the headers off.....i know this as i put them on then went to put filter on and not a chance....so undid all bolts etc and put filter on then put headers back on and they touch!......so rang eviltwin and had a chat, i ended up getting the old gasket, in conjunction with the new gasket and refitted the headers......sure do know how to take them off and on now lol. So now there is about a 2mm gap between the headers and the filter......which is ok i guess but i dont want to have to take headers off every 5k for filter change, eviltwin mentioned which sounds good i may take my stock headers and get a place to make a spacer plate.....maybe need to be 7-10mm i think in order to then allow fliter to be taken off and on without removing headers.....there is enough thread on the studs to handle that change and as for the bolts i would just get 3, 7-10mm longer ones.

Anyone else had this experience ?

cheers all............soo all in all no real hiccups....no stuck bolts.....afew tricky bolts but they were already slightly loose....guessing mechs in the past found them bit too hard to reach also :)......they were the bolt under dizzy on headers and one of the top bolts connecting stock primaries to secondaries.

No pics as of yet will come in time

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed a buzz in the exhaust, ended up being shagged resonator so got a new 14" one put in and guy helped me adjust exhaust around a bit so not rattles etc....spent some time with me and for everything including resonator was $120 so fair happy with that.....car revs out smoothly and sounds great now.

Tomorrow going to Micks to do brakes, will also take sussy that i got from wrecked car and we may do that do and also do gearbox oil....time dependent we should get through a fair slab of that.

cheers

If you get over here early enough we can smash the suspension swap out , should take about 45 minutes give or take with my crappy tools... i havn;t told you yet but im borrowing your stock sussy!

ok, brake upgrade complete, went to micks (eviltwin) on sunday, had a few of us there which was great to catch up, Andy, Dave, Guni and alex.

Guni was resident chef for the day who took on the challenge of cleaning micks BBQ and providing us with great snags in bread.

Weather was hot as and poor andy was working on his car in the sun whilst mine was basically fully shaded.

Fronts went in and on not a problem, i basically watched as mick did it and helped where i could so i now know how to do it for future reference.

When it came to the rears we had a chuckle at the condition of my rear left pads and all rears were in pretty poor condition. We could not press in the cylinder on the rear caliper, even after guni had bought us a nice $12 "bunnings special" C clamp the result is below !

P1040190-1.jpg

so we decided to re bolt up the poor condition rear rotors and pads, bled brakes and ended for the day....i had a nice grindy and squeely drive home coming from left rear....worst pad of them all .....

P1040188.jpg

P1040187.jpg

then today MICK WAS A TOTAL CHAMPION my boss allowed me to work from home so whilst i was getting some work done Mick on his day off visited 2 Pickaparts, the first in ringwood where i got heaps of parts for this car apparently had crushed the wreck !......so that was going to be the end and i had rang a place to drop car off for them to fix it......then mick rang and had found a twinky at pick a part in bayswater......rear calipers fine so he grabbed them, drove the 30+ kms to my house, fitted them, then we bled whole system again and bedded them in with a drive and all sorted......only $60 for the pair of calipers from the wreckers...bugger all cost to have the car back on road quick smart... new brake system fitted and ready for work tomoz.

Much kudos to mick great bloke........i even made him a "chicken in a can" salad sandwhich for his efforts lol.....chicken in a can is great i reccomend you try it...

P1040185.jpg

P1040189.jpg

oh yeah and Mick is way more rad than this kid

nintendo-demotivational-poster.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

quick update.

4 X black door handles off an AE82 mick was wrecking so will put them in soon

Cressida front lip ready to install when i get around to it

4 X lugcentric balance completed today at Jax Quick Fit - Premium balance option $7.50 per rim so cheap as.

yeah slowly getting there, was going to head to winton this weekend to watch but most mates busy and cant be bothered going on my own lol

so i think sat will be

bumper off, try to realign mounts as best i can, sits up a bit high front left im guessing from prior nudge at some point. Fit Cressida front lip

Drain and refill gearbox oil....thinking a squeeze type sauce bottle may be best as my oil is in a big 5l bottle.

try to lift exhaust up a little higher where resonator is, sits a bit low, scrapes going into work car park and thats not oven lowere yet, can tuck up atleas another 1-2" once i have a play should have it sorted i think.

If i can be fagged i will put door handles in.....such a big job really......hoping i may be able to just unclip door skin, not have to take of tricky clip on window winder and just rotate whole skin enough to get to door handle mechanism...would make things easier than fully taking off.

Didnt get around to doing alot this weekend, had other things to do and it was fair warm today

I have bought and am ready to go with

King Lows - ready to go on the Monroe GT gas i got from wreckers

Need to buy Gabriel bump stops

Cressida front lip ready to go on

Black door handles ready to go on

Amber fog lights - had a test wire today with relay .. lit up so next will be install.

- the fog lights reccomded a relay 5 pin etc..... i am looking to install in the way below as dont need it triggered to lowbeams or anything.

Form what i can gather the use of the relay in this example is so a low amperage circuit to trigger a device on a high amperage circuit ?

foglite.jpg

otherwise i guess you could just wire it like below ? which is better ? with relay for safety ?

wiring%20diagram.jpg

so a few things in the pipeline, just need to do it now lol

Foglights i bought

127464.jpg

I love relays.

Makes the current constant ???? or some 5h!t like that??

All i know is I installed it for my HIDs and I no longer have a 50 50 chance of either one bulb not lighting up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man I only just read this entire thread... Took me about 3 hours haha, I am absolutely amazed at the work and effort (and amazingly cheap wrecker purchases) you've done on this AE82. My first car was an AE82 and sometimes I really miss it haha. Good times! :)

I really wanna see this AE82 that's for sure! :) I have started a savings fund so I can do something like this. (The Aurion is great and all but I don't want to ruin it haha.)

Really great ride, keep up the good work. :)

Quick update.

Twincam will become my weekend / hobby car which i am stoked about.

Had a chat with boss and hit her up for a work car to which she obliged.

So company have ordered me a brand new Toyota Yaris YRS 3door,manual, Black with bluetooth etc.

i got to choose car under 20k and also wanted to make sure it was good for company (small company 7 ppl) re. resale and cheap servicing and reliability so chose toyota, to get a white 3dr manual etc it would need to be built and take till may etc and wanted either white or black so blacks ok

Look to be picking it up next week and its great as its private / business use as long as do 25k in a year its all sweet which is easily doable.

for those wondering its being all done via the statutory calculations as opposed to operating costs, so basically i dont have to log anything, just have to ensure i cover 25k between march 31st and march 31st each year otherwise the FBT increases etc.

cheers all

Edited by jaderd

• 2 weeks later...

Gearbox Oil done today.....geez its smelly stuff lol.

also washed car ready for tomorrows cruise although prob a waste of time.

Put on cressida front lip....and as opposed to what they state they cant bend back on themselves....mine cracked at the bend on the left hand side of front bar :(......so will prob end up ripping it off, making the garden edging front lip and play with the left over bits from cressida lip and see what i can do with them.

not too fussed with lip cracking as only $60.....at same time got a call from sister....windows at her house, gutters, both their cars..wrecked by hail in Rowville......my cracked lip all of a sudden felt very in significant.....

catch those going on cruise tomoz :)