Squeaky noise with reverse gear

I've just noticed today while i had my music down that when i put my reverse gear in it squeaks. Its a very annoying sound and doesnt feel too good. I've been doing it heaps just to make sure it was making the noise and sounds like its coming from the gearbox. But the thing is, it only makes that squeak when i try to put the reverse gear up to lock it in. The rest of the gears are fine, just reverse. Gearbox oil might help? Anyone have any thoughts?

John

how many k's u done in your car?

17,500km. Got my 20k service coming up. Might get them to check it out.

do you fully pull up the gear knob thing to the reverse gear?

I had the noise when i was in hurry and didnt pull it properly :P

The gated mechanism? Yes i do. I thought it was because i was doing it quickly but i did it slowly over and over again. Still squeaks. :(

• 1 year later...

Thread revival. I've noticed recently i'm getting a squeak while shifting to 2nd gear and sometimes when going back to neutral. And reverse is more prominent now. Friends brother thinks its the linkage? May be dry, need to be greased. Anyone confirm, help me on this? Its not a major issue is it? Any other ZRE owners experience the same?