Engine just switched off while driving

I was driving home today when i noticed the engine light come on on the dash.

i was near home so i thought im sure ill make it home before anything happens.

while driving i noticed that there was lag when i stepped on the accelerator.

like i was revving out but i wasnt accelerating as fast as i should be

when i was stopped at the lights i was idling strange.

like the engine was choking.

i managed to turn the final corner to my house and my engine just switched off. i luckily rolled the 100 remaining meters to my drive way.

any idea what this could be.

its a 2003 sportivo. it has a CAI and thats really it in terms of engine mods.

could it be an electrical problem?

spark plugs?

i have left the car for a couple hours and just turned it on and the light doesnt appear anymore but i need to get this checked out.

im abit worried that this could happen whilst in traffic

MAF would be the first thing I'd be looking at if you dont have a scan tool.

what if it has been put thru a scanning machine but no error code came up? :\ i have this prob once in a while too..esp at the lights.. it feels like its about to stall.. its an auto btw -.- autos dont stall .. -.-

autos dont stall .. -.-

I'll block your intake or exhaust and we can test that statement if you want :P

Anyways, if the MAF is playing up and it thinks that there is no air going to the engine, it can stall the engine by not supplying enough fuel to it. It should enter its limp mode though, which is where you get the symptoms the OP was getting at first.

autos dont stall .. -.-

Anyways, if the MAF is playing up and it thinks that there is no air going to the engine, it can stall the engine by not supplying enough fuel to it. It should enter its limp mode though, which is where you get the symptoms the OP was getting at first.

haha i mean in a normal situation -.-

so should give the MAF a good clean?

autos dont stall .. -.-

haha i mean in a normal situation -.-

so should give the MAF a good clean?

It wouldn't hurt Jer..

I cleaned the MAF sensor and looks like the light isnt coming back on.. for now.

however, the car is over heating. the temp gauge is now going all the way to the top.

my heating isnt working properly if thats any help, even at max heat it still blows cold air.

I cleaned the MAF sensor and looks like the light isnt coming back on.. for now.

however, the car is over heating. the temp gauge is now going all the way to the top.

my heating isnt working properly if thats any help, even at max heat it still blows cold air.

Oh dear... this seems to be pointing in one direction.

Let your car cool down (just in case), and then open your radiator cap and see if it is empty. If it is not, there could possibly be a blockage somewhere in the line.

Let your car cool down (just in case), and then open your radiator cap and see if it is empty. If it is not, there could possibly be a blockage somewhere in the line.

ok checked that, its empty, is that a good sign. i just switched the car on and it seems to be ok now.

ive booked it in for a service next week. ive had nothing but issues since i bought this car about 3 months ago.

hopefully everything will get sorted out next week but what a headache.

ok checked that, its empty, is that a good sign. i just switched the car on and it seems to be ok now.

ive booked it in for a service next week. ive had nothing but issues since i bought this car about 3 months ago.

do not drive the car!

you MUST have coolant in it to stop it over heating. something is very wrong with your car.

do not drive it.

:o

Oh my! Even my Mum and Sister who barely know a thing about a car at least know about the radiator. I think you should step away from you car until you at least do some learning:

HowStuffWorks "How Car Cooling Systems Work"

Dude?? :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

My 13 year old daughter knows the car needs coolant and fluid in the radiator wow!! :idea: Call RACQ/NRMA/RACV who ever is your roadside person and get them to look at it for you.

/facepalm... call a tow truck and get them to take it to a Toyota service centre. Most likely she has a major leakage in your radiator block or hoses. A radiator keeps the car engine cool at the correct operating temperature... if there is no coolant, then you can kiss your engine goodbye. gg lol

:o

Oh my! Even my Mum and Sister who barely know a thing about a car at least know about the radiator. I think you should step away from you car until you at least do some learning:

HowStuffWorks "How Car Cooling Systems Work"

ok haha i think i have made out to the biggest lamo there.. its (NOT) empty, it was to read. im quite aware if it was empty where my problem would have been.

however i just drove it round the block and the engine sign came on, but came off again.

i used contact cleaner for the MAF sensor, i literally soaked it in it. could i have damaged it ?