ZRE engine mounts

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some idea of how reliable/strong the ZRE Corolla engine mounts are? I remember in my brother's VS commodore, the engine mounts gave way after about 6 years and the car had a rattling noise. They got fixed after the engine was rebuild...

I know with sports cars they obviously toughen the engine mounts up, but what about regular Corollas?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some idea of how reliable/strong the ZRE Corolla engine mounts are? I remember in my brother's VS commodore, the engine mounts gave way after about 6 years and the car had a rattling noise. They got fixed after the engine was rebuild...

I know with sports cars they obviously toughen the engine mounts up, but what about regular Corollas?

from my point of view LOL its a Toyota :) built to last haha mmm should last a fair bit.... i know honda's mounts break faster due to the amount of owners hitting vtec all the time :P

Hi guys,

from my point of view LOL its a Toyota :) built to last haha mmm should last a fair bit.... i know honda's mounts break faster due to the amount of owners hitting vtec all the time :P

yeh i was thinking that too.l.. :D

The mounts in sportivos arent the greatest , as Andy was saying prior to doing something with his he watched the car on the dyno with the bonnet up and the ammount of movement is quite astounding, but being a ZRE this will obviously be different , it all depends how you treat the car aswell as mileage , remember that a commodore is a totally different kettle of fish due to it being a larger capacity motor and also rear wheel driven. I can tell you that all the older toyotas i have owned have lasted very long lengths of time in regards to mounts. And that said if you need to replace one it's not the end of the world financially or mechanically.

having held a set of Stivo mounts in my hand... i think that even though they look fairly heavy duty, looking at the way the engine does move around under load, in lift, they are def going to give up the ghost..... but saying when this will occur is anyones guess.

My advice is to learn what to look for in a cracked engine mount, and perhaps when you have your car up on stands when you are changing oil... or next time its up on a hoist in a mechanics shop... just ask them if they could get a pry bar in there and flex the mount to check the mounts.

a simple fix would be to pour urethane in the mounts.....

.... whats not simple is getting the buggers out.

you guys do realise that the front and rear mounts are not meant to hold the engine solid right? They're in place to limit the amount the engine moves, designed to have some movement.

You should get at least 15 years out of the stock mounts.

I had a letter somewhere from toyota australia detailing what condition the torsion mounts could be in to still pass roadworthy. Can't locate it at the moment, but the summary was the tabs in the torsion mounts can be totally torn through and the mount still classed as "roadworthy".

Edited by CHA54

Could poor driving , or abusive style driving completely ruin mounts? Because as say Whitestivo talks , it sounds like his car cops a killing and i can't see them lasting 15 years. I would have never expected that life span from them though thanks for the info JP

you guys do realise that the front and rear mounts are not meant to hold the engine solid right? They're in place to limit the amount the engine moves, designed to have some movement.

You should get at least 15 years out of the stock mounts.

I had a letter somewhere from toyota australia detailing what condition the torsion mounts could be in to still pass roadworthy. Can't locate it at the moment, but the summary was the tabs in the torsion mounts can be totally torn through and the mount still classed as "roadworthy".

yes of course they are designed to allow for some movement... but knowing how much the engine does move... engaging lift... then it would be foolish to assume that mounts on a car owned by a driver who engages lift more often than the average driver, would last the same time frame.