buy car, got scam

Speed

last week my brother in law, he look it on Gumtree website. there a 2006 toyota camry sell for $11.000, around 26000km. he thought it so cheap and hit a jackpot, hihi. so he buy it. and sent the money $6000 1st, by Western Union. and the seller said the car will Deliveries on saterdays 14.11.09. we wait, nothing had came. we call up the guy, phone is swith off, email back and got no reply. we report to the police, they can't do anything. is there a way i can do about it ? i know my brother is SO STUPID.

Learn from his stupidity.....

NEVER dot hat. If it;s too good to be true, it likely is.

And as the others said, he's likely SOL. He should have send a personal check of a bank money order.

Learn from his stupidity.....

NEVER dot hat. If it;s too good to be true, it likely is.

And as the others said, he's likely SOL. He should have send a personal check of a bank money order.

what he should have done... is inspected the car, and actually looked at it before he payed a $6k deposit. Who does that?

Deposit should be no more than 10% of the purchase price... which in this case would be $1000... even then... $500 would have sufficed.

lol... riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Who the hell pays someone 6k because they advertised a car?

Should always buy a car either through a site or company, or on the spot when you pick the car up with a MONEY ORDER. He deserved what he got really. Not everyone on this planet are nice.

for a fee, your bank can trace the funds, and withdraw them from the nominated account. a lot of bull**** to go through it though. but he better be quick, because the longer you leave it the more likely it is to be declined (unless hes already set up the off-shore nigerian bank account and made a cash withdrawal as soon as the funds were received)

last week my brother in law, he look it on Gumtree website. there a 2006 toyota camry sell for $11.000, around 26000km. he thought it so cheap and hit a jackpot, hihi. so he buy it. and sent the money $6000 1st, by Western Union. and the seller said the car will Deliveries on saterdays 14.11.09. we wait, nothing had came. we call up the guy, phone is swith off, email back and got no reply. we report to the police, they can't do anything. is there a way i can do about it ? i know my brother is SO STUPID.

First of all... why on earth would you even BOTHER looking at a car of that age with that kilometers for that price... it's plain obvious that it is a bogus! You wouldn't even get near that price at Government Fleet Auctions.

Anyways rather than put more **** on your brother I'd rather be helpful than a keyboard warrior...

so as lateralus has said.. it is possible the bank can trace the funds however for a fee. You could possibly contact the following...

- http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index....tag/reportascam

- http://www.comcare.gov.au/claims/reporting_fraud

- http://www.crsaustralia.gov.au/report_fraud.htm

Edited by 11TWO

First of all... why on earth would you even BOTHER looking at a car of that age with that kilometers for that price... it's plain obvious that it is a bogus! You wouldn't even get near that price at Government Fleet Auctions.

Anyways rather than put more **** on your brother I'd rather be helpful than a keyboard warrior...

so as lateralus has said.. it is possible the bank can trace the funds however for a fee. You could possibly contact the following...

- http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index....tag/reportascam

- http://www.comcare.gov.au/claims/reporting_fraud

- http://www.crsaustralia.gov.au/report_fraud.htm

I booked my car with a $50 deposit after inspecting the car. I went back and did a lot of checking including with VicRoads. Even if it turns out to be a scam, I'd have lost only $50. Mine is an 03 Altise with 80k on the clock costing $12,500. There were some defects that were not initially pick up but nothing significant.

I would honestly be surprised if the money is still in the account. Seller would have withdrawn the money already. :whistling:

for a fee, your bank can trace the funds, and withdraw them from the nominated account. a lot of bull**** to go through it though. but he better be quick, because the longer you leave it the more likely it is to be declined (unless hes already set up the off-shore nigerian bank account and made a cash withdrawal as soon as the funds were received)